Boardwalk Empire Season 4

Mark Antony

I wish Margaret and Gillian weren't coming back, first of all Margaret cheated on her husband who gave her everything and never beat her like her old husband did, and Gillian had sex with her own son.. :bawl:

Those things are to show the emotional baggage held by both characters Nucky isn't husband of the year and Gillian was sexually abused as a child and misunderstood the relationship with her son.

2. All of Masseria's men were gone, but Gyp still had what, 9 men of his own, and he's a big strong ape himself. Was the plan for Eli and Nucky to storm the mansion and kill them all, just the 2 of them???? (Capone and his men were already on their way back to Chicago, with Gyp, their primary target still unaccounted for!) Nucky's plan makes no sense; it's suicide!

That struck me as odd as well, I assume they had guys downstairs, and were just looking about after it was clear a bloodbath had taken place. Gyp was toast as soon as his main force were dead, and Capone was clearly there to weaken New York (by killing Masseria's guys) and strengthen his ties with Atlantic City.

And the Harrow killing thing, at least two guys got back up and came at him, so counting was hard, I counted about 7 killed which adds up with 2 escaping alongside Rosetti. That said I wasn't really counting with intentions of posting so could be mistaken.

I think there's still a lot of room for Harrow in the story, especially if Gillian is still going to be around. Plus he'll want to provide for the kid, even if he's going to stay away from him personally. And I can think of a few ways they can keep using Margaret She's in NYC now, and Im sure Rothstein or Masseria would very much enjoy getting their hands on Nucky's wife, estranged or not.

Gyp still had what, 9 men of his own, and he's a big strong ape himself.

I'm not so sure of Gyp's actual prowess. All the people he's violent towards he has power over - ie they're weak old guys like the Dog's Owner or Gyp has a lot of men with him. But this is the first time we see him get in an actual fight with someone - outnumbering him 10 to 1 at least yet he runs away - you can see it in his face when the mook gets shotgunned next to him. Gyp panics the fuck out and abandons his own guys.

And the Harrow killing thing, at least two guys got back up and came at him, so counting was hard, I counted about 7 killed which adds up with 2 escaping alongside Rosetti. That said I wasn't really counting with intentions of posting so could be mistaken.

I counted 10 we actually see him shoot and kill on top of this there's maybe another five times when you see him shoot at something off-screen then hear a scream in response

Can someone familiar with Barney Google confirm whether Rosetti was singing the "real" song, or just making up random crazy shit?

(edit) looked it up, it was for real

I thought he was referring to Nucky having googly eyes. Did I completely miss the boat on this one?

I thought he was referring to Nucky having googly eyes. Did I completely miss the boat on this one?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOHg5uuZjwY

I assume Gyp was comparing Nucky to Barney Google the same way we might compare a contemporary object of scorn to a cartoon character like Peter Griffin or Homer Simpson. My limited understanding of the Barney Google character is that he was a lovable loser who stumbles his way through life through sheer dumb luck.

Also when Richard was coming up the stairs, it sounded like both of the guys he shot got a shot off at him first? I totally buy the "they rushed their shots and missed, but Richard, being the cold blooded killer he is, took his time, shot 2nd and didn't miss" and yet part of me wishes it hadn't been the case.

I'm not so sure of Gyp's actual prowess. All the people he's violent towards he has power over - ie they're weak old guys like the Dog's Owner or Gyp has a lot of men with him. But this is the first time we see him get in an actual fight with someone - outnumbering him 10 to 1 at least yet he runs away - you can see it in his face when the mook gets shotgunned next to him. Gyp panics the fuck out and abandons his own guys.

That is an excellent point, Gyp really was a coward at the end of the day!

Yet, I still think it was suicide for Eli and Nucky to go in alone. They have no way of knowing that Richard has killed off the men and Gyp has fled the premises; plus for all they knew they could be walking into a hostage situation with Gillian, the girls (who were where?), and Tommy. Yet Capone says "my work here is done, come on boys, we're going back to Chicago, Nucky obviously can handle the situation from here" and there isn't even a single token one of Chalky's men as backup. I know Nucky is on a "don't trust anyone except us" kick, but is Eli really THAT good with a shotgun?

(as a side note, did anyone else catch that Chalky obviously can't box and would have gotten creamed by Capone if Eli hadn't stepped in and fired his shotgun in the air?)

That is an excellent point, Gyp really was a coward at the end of the day!

Yet, I still think it was suicide for Eli and Nucky to go in alone. They have no way of knowing that Richard has killed off the men and Gyp has fled the premises; plus for all they knew they could be walking into a hostage situation with Gillian, the girls (who were where?), and Tommy. Yet Capone says "my work here is done, come on boys, we're going back to Chicago, Nucky obviously can handle the situation from here" and there isn't even a single token one of Chalky's men as backup. I know Nucky is on a "don't trust anyone except us" kick, but is Eli really THAT good with a shotgun?

(as a side note, did anyone else catch that Chalky obviously can't box and would have gotten creamed by Capone if Eli hadn't stepped in and fired his shotgun in the air?)

I assumed that they heard of the gunfight before arriving there, otherwise it would be ridiculous. Anyway, I don't think it's really important how they heard - as in it doesn't deserve it's own scene on an already longish episode.

I was confused about who it was that Capone and Chalky actually shot up.... was that Masseria's men or what?

Which will now spell the end of Masseria by Luciano and the younger lot, something that actually happened in real life

But a couple of years later, AFAIR. Masseria was killed in 1931, and we're still in 1924 I guess. Of course they don't have to strictly follow historical events.

I felt the episode was a bit rushed.

I wasn't a fan of how Harrow cleaned house, that could have been shot better. Gyp's Goons seemed totally inept at defending themselves when the show called for it (compared to how they took out Nucky's hotel crew without any problems -- or that could have been some skilled Masseria thugs I guess).

I'm just wondering what happens in New York now. Season four should be called The Adventures of Lucky and Lansky.

That struck me as odd as well, I assume they had guys downstairs, and were just looking about after it was clear a bloodbath had taken place.

That was my assumption.

In a stretch I suppose Nucky could intuit that Richard was responsible and that the job was probably done or if Richard was still there the he and Eli would be safe. Nucky does after all know for a fact that Richard is both honorable and dangerous as hell.

Gyp's Goons seemed totally inept at defending themselves when the show called for it (compared to how they took out Nucky's hotel crew without any problems -- or that could have been some skilled Masseria thugs I guess).

People tend to fall apart in an ambush, and their morale had been low from the war and finally ripped apart when Masseria pulled his soldiers out. Not too surprising.

That was my assumption.

In a stretch I suppose Nucky could intuit that Richard was responsible and that the job was probably done or if Richard was still there the he and Eli would be safe. Nucky does after all know for a fact that Richard is both honorable and dangerous as hell.

Nucky and Eli are completely surprised by the massacre and have no idea it was Richard. They keep saying "Jeezus, who did this??" And Chalky, Capone, and all of their men are down the road killing Massaria's men. The "plan" (such as it is) depends on the element of surprise, so it doesn't work if "time passes and everybody figures out what's going on" between scenes. Richard starts his spree immediately after Massaria's men leave (almost as if he were tipped off they were about to, which is preposterous), and the bodies are still warm when Nucky & Eli arrive. (Surely if there were a longer interval, Tonino would have poked his head out of the closet?) There's no "Chalky and Capone stormed the mansion and made sure everything was OK first, but they just cut the scene because it would have been unnecessary exposition."

I don't think it's asking too much of the audience to assume that Nucky and Eli had a few guys with them outside and downstairs. Would it have hurt to show a quick two second shot of them together before Nucky and Eli go upstairs? Not at all. But I certainly wouldn't consider it a major issue. If I can rationalize it with something as simple as "there were guys with them downstairs that we just didn't see", then it doesn't bother me. If they had specifically showed only Nucky and Eli entering the mansion alone, then I'd have a problem. But they left it vague enough that we don't really need that (at least I don't).

I don't think it's asking too much of the audience to assume that Nucky and Eli had a few guys with them outside and downstairs.

Who? Everyone was at the shoot-out. They devoted 99% of their manpower to killing Masseria's men who were no threat since they were leaving town anyways and only 1% of their manpower to catching the violent sociopath who blew up Nucky's girl and who, guess what, escaped with 2 of his men because their plan sucked! Rosetti got away!

Archived