Heresy 33

Black Crow

Is it as simple as that...well why not? When in The Mystery Knight a dragon will appear means simply the revelation of Egg to Bloodraven, in The Hedge Knight the death of a dragon is simply that of Baelor Breakspear. The more I see theories about the three dragon riders and who they must be the more I wonder if the meaning isn't the simplest, most obvious one that is staring us in the face.

Desperately need to get the OP for Heresy 34 put together before I push off for Scouts in little more than an hour. I was hoping to leave it for later, but at this rate...

Anyway, not entirely disconnected from the above here's today's reading. Jon is back on the Wall, with Mance hammering on the gate. Donal Noye is dead and Maester Aemon, who clearly knows much more than he's letting on, tells Jon that he must take command. In the passage below he offers him some very proper encouragement to quell his doubts, but bearing in mind our earlier discussion about how the watch appears to belong to the Starks, what he says seems extraordinarily significant:

"Donal chose you, and Qhorin Halfhand before him. Lord Commander Mormont made you his steward. You are a son of Winterfell, a nephew of Benjen Stark. It must be you or no-one. The Wall is yours Jon Snow."

And just to indulge myself with post 4,000 before rushing back to work, there's another wrinkle to consider here.

The Azor Ahai prophecy is made or recorded in Asshai 5,000 years ago when Ghiscar and points east are being hammered by the Valyrians and their dragons. Why then would it be taken up by the Valyrians as the Prince that was Promised? Remember, as I said, in Volantis the Red Lot are extremely hostile towards the Valyrians forted up behind the Black Walls and presumably the loathing is reciprocated.

But if this is so, then where does Westeros come into it?

-Believe it was Asshai that the books are written in. Be it may, the darkness that they are thinking about, I highly doubt it has anything to do with anything in westeros.

This is essentially saying that an earthling prophesized a hero who will save aliens from planet z. It is such a doubtful prophecy. I do not understand why people are on board with it so much.

I think the slave issue in Volantis is extremely complicated(I'm betting three quarters of these slaves could be considered "valerian"). Which makes me believe, that in the end-Danaeris is going to ignore the slaves pleas.

And just to indulge myself with post 4,000 before rushing back to work, there's another wrinkle to consider here.

The Azor Ahai prophecy is made or recorded in Asshai 5,000 years ago when Ghiscar and points east are being hammered by the Valyrians and their dragons. Why then would it be taken up by the Valyrians as the Prince that was Promised? Remember, as I said, in Volantis the Red Lot are extremely hostile towards the Valyrians forted up behind the Black Walls and presumably the loathing is reciprocated.

But if this is so, then where does Westeros come into it?

This makes me think of the Roman Empire adopting Christianity. The Valyrians are hammering Ghis, then shortly afterwards, others peoples/cultures. The messianic religion of the Red Faith starts. At some point the Valyrians, who are based in blood and fire, decide to co-op the Red Faith with their own twist/additions. And call it, the Prince That Was Promised.

This could also be a case of crossed wires in the prophecy magic. Maybe it is the same prophecy seen by two different people at different times in history, with different spin put on it.

As for the Volantenes elites (Valyrian pure bloods), all I can come up with is the Eastern Roman Empire, the Byzantines. I am a little rusty on my Byzantine empire history, so I will have to check on specifics, but I think there is something there.

Not that I recall.

What was this in reference to? http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/53616-adwd-spoilers-hardhome/page__st__60#entry2673201

It made me think of Jon's dream with his black armour and his flaming sword. He may have had a premonition regarding a future battle with "something" coming from Hardhome?

Desperately need to get the OP for Heresy 34 put together before I push off for Scouts in little more than an hour. I was hoping to leave it for later, but at this rate...

Anyway, not entirely disconnected from the above here's today's reading. Jon is back on the Wall, with Mance hammering on the gate. Donal Noye is dead and Maester Aemon, who clearly knows much more than he's letting on, tells Jon that he must take command. In the passage below he offers him some very proper encouragement to quell his doubts, but bearing in mind our earlier discussion about how the watch appears to belong to the Starks, what he says seems extraordinarily significant:

"Donal chose you, and Qhorin Halfhand before him. Lord Commander Mormont made you his steward. You are a son of Winterfell, a nephew of Benjen Stark. It must be you or no-one. The Wall is yours Jon Snow."

Not trying to go full blown R+L=J here, but notice how Aemon DOESN'T say "You are a son of Ned Stark"... definitely makes me feel that, if RLJ is true, Aemon at least knew about it

Not trying to go full blown R+L=J here, but notice how Aemon DOESN'T say "You are a son of Ned Stark"... definitely makes me feel that, if RLJ is true, Aemon at least knew about it

Or, he was going on the assumption that he's Ned's bastard, so still a son of Winterfell. However, I do think it's probable that Aemon knew Rhaegar was Jon's father since it is known that they were in communication, but it's puzzling that Aemon wouldn't then also inform Jon of his true parentage, especially after Ned was beheaded.

the Targaryens' apparently long-held anti-slavery stance, the fact that they were living on the very farthest edges of the Empire, and that one Targaryen daughter who was prophetic and prophesied the Doom among a few other things apparently.

This is the second time this week that I've heard this but I'm not sure where it comes from. Is it from the book or an SSM?

Ack. Will carry this forward to 34.

Archived