If you could live in any fantasy world...

Asa

Some of te top places on my list:

The the dream world of Randolph Carter. Sure, is had hideous, madness inducing monsters, but I imagine it has also some of the most stunning sights ever beheld by human eyes.

The Discworld would be a nice place to settle down as well. Becoming an alum of the UU probably would be great fun. Or I could mosy on down to Ãœberwald and hopefully get myself turned into a vampire. Living forever (in a manner of speaking) doesn't sound too shabby and if I just slathered myself with sunblock, daylight shouldn't pose too much of a problem. Failing that I could try and become zombified. I understand that it only requires some sort of tree root added to a certain type of fish. Sure, I might smell pretty bad, but that's what airfreshener is for, right? It also might be useful to learn deja fu, if I could persuade Lu-Tze to teach me.

I am a sucker for nostalgia and I might like to visit all of those Disney fantasy worlds. Or it might just be easier to visit the universe of Kingdom Hearts and see them all.

Visting Fantasia would be a blast, especially if I could get my mitts on Orin.

Somone mentioned the world of the Dark Crystal after the Skeksis left. I would actually prefer to visit the world pre-Skeksis and maybe learn about the mysteries of the Crystal from the urSkeks.

Last (and probably least) I might even want to vist Terry Goodkind's fantasy world. Wait, wait! Put down those pitchforks and torches! Hear me out! There is a saying "In the land of the blind, the one eyed man if king." Well, in Goodkind world, the man who has an IQ higher than a single digit would be king. All I would have to contend with are Objectivist automatons and Evil Communist Strawmen. I would be running the entire place within a week.

As long as you are one of the family, there is no reason to go against Amber, it's all worlds in one. Plus, I wouldn't have the ambition to go for the throne, so I wouldn't make that many enemies and as far as I can tell, you are practically immortal, not invincible, but immortal. So, Amber all the way.

Failing that, being a wizard at Unseen University sounds nice. All they seem to do is loaf about all day, eat big dinners and try to avoid a) the students and B) Ridcully. And they live to be 120, too. They're just like hobbits, only without the annoying wholesomeness. ;)

There doesn't seem to much security of tenure though as only Ridcully, The Bursar, The Dean, The Lecturer, The Chair, Senior Wrangler and Ponder Stibbon appear in more than one book

Whatever world I would live in would need to have mermaids. Dont know why for sure, but mermaids are a must.

This idea just hit me like a thunderstorm.....I want to live in Never Never Land. Ever see the movie Hook? Now that is where I would live no question!

I'd live in Gor....no seriously.

It's every 13 year old boy's pubescent fantasy come to life.

Oh my God has someone else read those books? I have never heard anyone else mention them, ever.

Actually I used to read them and like them, and I'm a female.

I would live at Rivendell or Lothlorien, looking just like they did in the Peter Jackson movie. The beauty just took my breath away. I'm big on visuals, I'd have to live somewhere that my eyes enjoyed.

There doesn't seem to much security of tenure though as only Ridcully, The Bursar, The Dean, The Lecturer, The Chair, Senior Wrangler and Ponder Stibbon appear in more than one book

Well, Pratchett did point out that the only way for a wizard to advance was to bump off the guy ahead of him...

As far as I remember, there's a scene in one of the Culture novels where a character dies, but the option of later revival/storage of personality traits, etc. is mentioned - the idea that humans play deadly sports for fun, knowing that the deaths won't be real, comes up a lot, too. (no books in front of me or anyplace in my apartment, so someone else may have to clarify.)

I'd pick The Culture, The post-revolution independent Mars in Kim Stanley Robinson's Blue Mars, or life as one of the noncorporeal computer-stored explorer entities in Greg Egan's Diaspora.

Anyone choosing Star Trek is probably not thinking this question through, since (as far as I can tell) Star Trek characters live in a world where (despite total lack of any major social problem not caused by aliens) practically everyone on earth appears to be in military-type employment and work 70 hour weeks. I love Star Trek, but I wouldn't wanna live there.

Normal Culture citizens get their 400 years and then die quite happily, they know they'll get the 400 years cause they can't die of accident or illness. They don't have to die, afaik you can have whatever the hell you want in the Culture, including immortality. But it wouldn't occur to most people since their only purpose is hedonism. But yeah, it's a pretty sweet deal: have any physical traits you want, any property you want, drugs on tap. Pure pleasure (unless you hapen to work for Special Circumstances).

But I think i'd live in the Kushiel's Dart world. Not for the hot prostitutes, just for the general prosperity and opulence in a medieval setting. Richard Morgan's or Alistair Reynolds worlds would both be pretty good if you belonged to the right clique.

NOT China Mieville's world.

The EVE Online universe would be cool: Fly around the universe in spaceships and if I get killed a clone is activated.

The Forgotten Realms universe maybe, so long as I get to duel-wield.

I can't BELIEVE that no one has said Tad William's OTHERLAND!!

Christ, YOU control the whole fucking world. You are like Lord God the creator and you can do see and have anything (pre-Dread).

I'd be running around living out my wildest fantasies all day, and then when I got bored and wanted some real world shit, I'd log off.

-Ice

I can't BELIEVE that no one has said Tad William's OTHERLAND!!

Christ, YOU control the whole fucking world. You are like Lord God the creator and you can do see and have anything (pre-Dread).

I'd be running around living out my wildest fantasies all day, and then when I got bored and wanted some real world shit, I'd log off.

-Ice

The problem with Otherland is that Williams makes very clear that RL earth is disintegrating around the characters...and you can't be online all the time....

Every man wants a dirty midget.

Some might say waist-high willing bar-maids are the right height but I certainly wouldn't want to go there.

:D

Last (and probably least) I might even want to vist Terry Goodkind's fantasy world. Wait, wait! Put down those pitchforks and torches! Hear me out! There is a saying "In the land of the blind, the one eyed man if king." Well, in Goodkind world, the man who has an IQ higher than a single digit would be king. All I would have to contend with are Objectivist automatons and Evil Communist Strawmen. I would be running the entire place within a week.

Hahahaha, I think this post wins the thread.

I'm gonna go with Larry Niven's Smoke Ring, mainly cause no one else mentioned it and also cause it'd be cool to live in perpetual freefall. I'd like to take a swim in one of those free-floating 'ponds'.....

Actually, my real (and more mainstream) choice would be somewhere in Middle Earth... the Shire, Rivendell, Gondolin, Lothlorien, Tirion or Valinor, ...not sure where... they all seem nice. I already feel like it's home for me... Also because I feel like I know a lot about that world, so I wouldn't feel out-of-place....

Hard call..

Sci-Fi

Mars Trilogy, Star Wars

Anything with Aliens, spaceships, etc.

Fantasy

Dark Tower World, ASoIaF, Fallout's..

I must have a deathwish or something, I'd last 5 minutes in those worlds.

Wow, this is harder than it sounds, as many of my favorite fantasy worlds are way too dangerous...

The Shire does seem like the safest bet. Plus, I could eat and drink without worrying about my blasted cholesterol!

Being a student at Hogwarts would also be a good choice, imo. I've said more than once I'd like to be able to just point a wand at something and clean it with a simple command!

Hmm, maybe the world of The Princess Bride or Monty Python's The Holy Grail. That way, even if I don't survive, I'll die laughing!

The world depicted in the movie Hook...I just wanted to mention this again because I think it would be the best. Dont you think so? It is a world based on your own imagination.

Definitely The Culture. But probably on an orbital rather than a GSV, cos at least there would be some nature and the outdoors, even if they're on an artifically created 'planet'. Possibly the orbital that the guy in The Player of Games lives on (can't remember his name at the moment for some reason)

I got the impression the GSVs generally named themselves. It might be a bit difficult to persuade them not to.

Hey, this is our fantasy right? GSVs will bloody well do what they're told :P

My GSV would be called Comprehensive Dental Coverage

Archived