If you could live in any fantasy world...

Asa

I'm going to go mainstream with this and say that I wouldn't mind living in Rowling's Potter world. I don't want to be a plain ole Muggle, I want to be at Hogwarts learning Charms, Transfiguration and the whole lot. That's unless the US has their own magical school.

On a side note, when I first started reading fantasy, I wanted so badly to live in Randland (though not for the same reasons as Asa ;) ).

Where did that come from? Why would overpopulation be a problem when you can pack millions in a GSV and most anything you can think of (food, air...) can be mass-produced?. People only die in the Culture when they decide to (or if they have their brains destroyed in some freak accident).

What setting are these nanotopias from? I've never heard of them.

mentat

Ive read that one about that game Azad (cant remember the english original title),a nd have begun Use of Weapons. In both it is expressly said humans still die, in UoW it is said they live between 300 and 400 years. Also in UoW there is a dialogue between two main characters, one (again, forgot the name, I suck at remembering name s:P ) from the CUltrue, and Zakalwe, a Contact mercenary not from the Culture. Basically, Zakalwe was providing a planet with the means to archieve immortality, but then commented that that created some grave problems. That Cultrue woman then remarked in the Culture children would lea such problematics at school already, and the dream of eternal youth would bve "childish". Taken together, it appears he Culture CAN reahc immortality, but doesnt for some quirky reason. That is a major unrealism in the Culturverse, too, Id say.

Oh,a nd Orion's Arm can be found here:

http://www.orionsarm.com/main.html

Beware, its a VAST worldbuilding project. Might take some time before you find an orientation ;)

I'd love to live in the Malazan world so long as I got to be a powerful mage. It would be great fun going around meeting all the gods and ascendants. I'd also send Icarium into a rage just for a laugh (and get out before it becomes full-blown, of course).

If we're doing sci-fi worlds as well, I have to second the Culture. It's like the ultimate lottery/retirement package. Hope I get to name my own GSV...

Jacqueline Carey's Terre d'Ange would be a nice pace to go to vacation for.

I'm slightly disturbed by those who speak of Shire and willing barmaids. Said willing barmaids are about waist-high.

(I recommend the novel "Excessions", where two members of the Culture pose as a bodyguard and a doctor in two quite different medievalesque settings, it will appeal to both the fantasy and the sci-fi fans).

You mean "Inversions". "Excession" is the book with the artifact from another universe appearing in deep space.

Ive read that one about that game Azad (cant remember the english original title)

And that's "The Player Of Games"

Hope I get to name my own GSV...

I got the impression the GSVs generally named themselves. It might be a bit difficult to persuade them not to.

Fantasy:

If I'm limited to what's reasonably common in the setting (no assault rifles, super-magic, Valyrian blades, etc), Westeros and Malazan-World are right out. (ETA: And Bakkerworld.)

LOTR is a bit too pastoral for me, but is a good suggestion.

Ultimately, though, I'd have to go for Amber, provided I had some way of getting to Shadows of my choice. If I couldn't, then Harry Potter-world, as a young wizard (hey, magic IS reasonably common in that setting...).

Science fiction:

Is it cheating if I name a setting that is originally from literature, but that I've only seen in anime adaptations? ;) The universe in Crest of the Stars/Banner of the Stars would rock if I could be one of the genetically engineered ruling species -- all the thrills and spills of space opera, a noble title, plus a 200+ year lifespan and some interfacing with machines.

If you limit me to Western sf literature... hmm. The only Culture novel I've read is Consider Phlebas, though the Culture does sound nice. Hamiltonverses are out; too many galaxy-destroying threats. Bujoldverse also would be good, though it's not so high-tech as the Culture -- perhaps Beta Colony.

You mean "Inversions". "Excession" is the book with the artifact from another universe appearing in deep space.

Yes, you're right. I haven't even read the complete "Excession", since I lost it in Heathrow airport when I was half way through, so I wonder why I said that (Inversions, on the other hand is safe at home).

You seem to know your Culture, so, what's your view on the death subject? Do people die in the Culture?

mentat

Yes, you're right. I haven't even read the complete "Excession", since I lost it in Heathrow airport when I was half way through, so I wonder why I said that (Inversions, on the other hand is safe at home).

You seem to know your Culture, so, what's your view on the death subject? Do people die in the Culture?

mentat

People certainly do die in the Culture, but I'm not sure if they *have* to die. Certainly, some of the characters had been alive a long, long time. But I wouldn't claim to be a Culture expert - I've not even read all the books yet.

Archived