Confessions: Game Edition v.3

Florina Laufeyson

Twin's psychopathy

I'm one of the OPs for the Tyrion reread (with Lum and Rag), and it's been the most difficult thing to have to write about-- all of those questions you're asking come up basically each chapter, and the answers do not lead to anything good. The issue of Tyrion's victimization-victimizer in particular has been the hardest line to walk in my entire experience on this forum. It's just exhausting. But if you're interested, that thread (in the reread section) goes into the furthest depth of Tywin's character I think I've seen on here (and may explain why I keep writing strongly worded posts in all these Tywin threads).

Also, I confess I think Lummel might have rigged things so that I end up with all the Tyrion-Sansa interaction chapters for that thread (those are very painful to have to analyze).

Ow my brain:

Why is the Tysha rape ordered by Tywin repeatedly said as his worse act - yes we now treat rape as one of the worst crimes but we do not live in a medieval society. Consider it this way - this was one rape of a women that as far as Tywin know was really a whore golddigger who wanted to take advantage of his gullable son - in a medieval societe she is nothing and Tywin can do what ever she wants with her - for the crime she commited in Tywin's eyes he could have easily killed her and no one would think of it - the Tyrells would probably do the same thing. Instead he teaches Tyrion a lesson - a hard one, the kind that makes him a true medieval ruler - one who makes hard choises and thinks with his upper head. Tysha is paid handsomely and let alive - much more than what a medieval lord would do and again Tywin though she really was a whore. How many women were raped by Robb's army - the peasents keep talking of lions and wolfs NOT only lions.

As for the Raynes and Tarbecs - yes it was a bit of an overkill but was it bad? The Lannisters got respect and turned their bannerman from the most troublesome in Westeros to the most loyal - they were losing the warr against Robb but no one dared to deflect or turn agains Tywin. Even after his death that legacy passed on to Jaime who managed to force Edmure into accepting his conditions by reminding him of the Raynes. This created the Lannisters a legacy of people who you don't go agains - the best one a medieval lord can hope.

He was not loved buy remeber what Niccolo Machiavelli said - "It is better to be feared than loved" and Tywin was feared and he proffited from that - Balon preffered to attack the winning Robb that the losing Tywin because he was afraid of him. As far as medieval lords go Tywin is the perfect example of succes - he is not a soft benevelent ruler that does not takes the hard route - this is Dany and you can see how her rule is going - even as a victor everyone moves agains while no one dares act againt Tywin even when he is losing.

I confess I'm glad I missed that Tywin thread.

I also confess that I just sat through a flight where the person beside me was reading ADWD and I thought to strike up a conversation about the book only to discover that the person was a dumbass to the extreme. Every 'theory' I loathe, this dude supported. Every misconception that drives me up the wall, this dude bought into. Every character that I can't stand, this dude loved. I almost felt like I was talking to LLL, [name redacted], [name redacted], and [name redacted].

I also confess that I just sat through a flight where the person beside me was reading ADWD and I thought to strike up a conversation about the book only to discover that the person was a dumbass to the extreme. Every 'theory' I loathe, this dude supported. Every misconception that drives me up the wall, this dude bought into. Every character that I can't stand, this dude loved. I almost felt like I was talking to LLL, [name redacted], [name redacted], and [name redacted].

Sorry to hear that Dr. P!

For the flight is long and full of idiots...

I confess, I hope I'm not one of them. To be fair to your neighbour, I doubt he's half as obsessed as we are.

No, you weren't one of them. We clash at times, but I don't find you stupid or severely imbalanced at all.

The dude appeared at least semi-obsessed. He knew of the main fan websites (even this one) and it definitely wasn't his first time reading ADWD. He was also the type to use the argument that the show is book canon.

No, you weren't one of them. We clash at times, but I don't find you stupid or severely imbalanced at all.

So, mildlly imbalanced am I?

The dude appeared at least semi-obsessed. He knew of the main fan websites (even this one) and it definitely wasn't his first time reading ADWD. He was also the type to use the argument that the show is book canon.

Ah. One of my roommates was like that-couldn't yell at him because he was cute. :(

When is it?

It will be after Tyrion-- I think there's 6 more SoS chapters and all 12 DwD left (at a rate of about 2 chapters/ wk). lol, I don't think there could be a more controversial arc than Tyrion's to do analysis on. lol, and I had just seen that I got stuck (yet again) on a chapter involving Sansa (which is extremely difficult for me to be "measured" on). oh god-- I should check to see if I'm going to be stuck with Shae's murder.

ETA: Rag has that one, praise god.

It will be after Tyrion-- I think there's 6 more SoS chapters and all 12 DwD left (at a rate of about 2 chapters/ wk). lol, I don't think there could be a more controversial arc than Tyrion's to do analysis on. lol, and I had just seen that I got stuck (yet again) on a chapter involving Sansa (which is extremely difficult for me to be "measured" on). oh god-- I should check to see if I'm going to be stuck with Shae's murder.

I confess, I really should become involved in the Tyrion re-read since he is my second favourite character and I am very interested in picking apart his character.

I confess that if you ever did something similar for Jaime, I would try to dominate it.

I confess, I really should become involved in the Tyrion re-read since he is my second favourite character and I am very interested in picking apart his character.

I confess that if you ever did something similar for Jaime, I would try to dominate it.

Lummel had an interesting side project idea for that actually-- to look at the D+E stories, then do a reread for Brienne and Jaime framed by a knight's context. He might actually do something to that effect. Also, I think Lady Lea may have said she was going to do a Jaime reread at some point (after the Arya one maybe?)

I confess if there's one character I feel the urge to whitewash, it's Ned.

ETA: More seriously, though, I feel like it's almost accepted fact sometimes that Ned was slow-witted, to the extent that it's barely even contentious, and I don't think it's true at all. He made some major errors like most characters, his cost him more than others. But I think he also has a kind of intelligence that almost no one else in the novels has. Really I think he's quite sharp.

Archived