The Americans

Fragile Bird

I agree. I really love both the leads in this show. And the actor who plays Stan is pretty great too. I got the distinct feeling that the tables are sort of turning between him and Nina, his Russian mole. Before, he had the power. Now there's a subtle shift. He knows he fucked up with killing Vlad and there's a tinge of guilt in his dealings with her now.

I agree. I really love both the leads in this show. And the actor who plays Stan is pretty great too. I got the distinct feeling that the tables are sort of turning between him and Nina, his Russian mole. Before, he had the power. Now there's a subtle shift. He knows he fucked up with killing Vlad and there's a tinge of guilt in his dealings with her now.

Yes, I'm quoting my own post. But there's a reason. I now feel more strongly than ever that Stan is compromised.

On another note, I'm getting a little tired of seeing near naked women (as beautiful as they are, particularly Nina) with fully dressed, SUITED men. I always think this looks ridiculous. They can stop this right now, dammit.

And I can't for the life of me see how they're going to be able to continue for another season. Shit is going to hit the fan in a big way next week. Their cover story is about as blown as it could be. Where do they go from here?

Outstanding TV. Philip and Elizabeth are dead on, every character they have "put on" as spies has been very believable. While the actor playing Stan is very good as an FBI agent, I think he's going for a bit too much of the stiff/ company man to be believable as a former deep cover agent.

Granny and John Boy are also perfectly cast as early 80s looking/ acting.

Granny is the always-outstanding Margo Martindale, who seems to be working a LOT. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0553269/

Elizabeth doesn't trust her one iota - which I think is a mistake on Eliz's part. After all, it was she who planted the doubt in Granny's mind about Philip, which led to the interrogation. A little misplaced guilt there, huh?

ETA:

My guess is that Elizabeth and Phillip might somehow negotiate immunity and offer themselves as double agents. I dunno. It could work.

The writers could be laying the groundwork for this now. Elizabeth's loyalty was mainly to her old boss, who's now dead. Philip will pretty much do anything Elizabeth wants to do. But I'm not sure. Somehow it seems wrong.

Great show, but the showrunners seem to go out of their way to try and force us to sympathize with spies for a totalitarian police state. As if our spies are no different and it's all just some tit for tat

this isn't a serious suggestion that CIA thugs aren't scum of the earth? even the nazi hirelings? even the crack dealers?

I just caught the episode with the turnings, Very nicely done, very plausible. And I sort of saw it coming, but didn't see it coming, but the wedding was utterly delicious. The gall, the bloody gall of it all.

Those damn commies! :P

The writers could be laying the groundwork for this now. Elizabeth's loyalty was mainly to her old boss, who's now dead. Philip will pretty much do anything Elizabeth wants to do. But I'm not sure. Somehow it seems wrong.

Yeah, it's hard to say how they'll go. The expected thing is for them to get away. I feel like the unexpected thing would be for them to turn. I mean, Alias was built on this premise and I'd be okay with season 1 showing this change.

But, you have to wonder if enough happened in season 1 to warrant them turning so quickly? I dunno.

I would be fun to see them turn into double agents (or even do the triple cross--though that would be extremely hard for audiences to keep straight, I think).

Elizabeth looking at the family pictures in Phillip's apartment and realizing that Phillip feels *love* as well as *duty* is going to kick start the maturation of their relationship. Note that Gregory (Elizabeth's lover/recruit) is dead and gone as the only significant rival for her affections.

Philip's arc is going the other way. We were introduced to him as the weaker/ softer member of their team. It turns out that he is the consummate *pro*. Elizabeth may be "harder" emotionally, but she is now the one questioning orders and carrying out personal vendettas.

Poor poor Stan. He's going from the hardass making the call on killing Vlad to becoming the puppet. Arkady will use his relationship to feed him bad info. It's the mirror to the FBI discovering the bug in Caspar Weinberger's study. The show runners gave us a season to get used to spying and sneaking, now they will use our comfort level from season one to take the complexity up a notch, and get into all sorts of plots within plots and psych games.

Martha is not going to die for a long while. She's the best lens we have into Phillip. She'll take an arc next season to start figuring out that he's not who he says he is.

Love this show.

Granny is the always-outstanding Margo Martindale, who seems to be working a LOT. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0553269/

Elizabeth doesn't trust her one iota - which I think is a mistake on Eliz's part. After all, it was she who planted the doubt in Granny's mind about Philip, which led to the interrogation. A little misplaced guilt there, huh?

ETA:

Damn, that was blood-curdling how Granny dispatched that agent. And I was right that Elizabeth should have trusted her.

This show has me on the edge of my seat! :bites nails:

I missed it, was the daughter supposed to have seen something and we just don't know what it was?

Great finale. Only disappointing thing is they are essentially at square one, no closer to being caught.

The chess pieces have moved very little other than Nina now working against Stan and the daughter discovering something (the writers may not even know at this point).

I don't think the daughter found anything - the scene was more indicative of her suspecting something is a bit odd with mom.

It was a nice touch on mom's part that she actually went so far as to leave folded laundry in the laundry room. Talk about attention to detail!

The writers are leaving us where the daughter has reached a point in her maturity to notice what is actually happening with her parents. I'm glad they did this, frankly, because the older the kids get, if they're not total dum-dums, they're going to start noticing things.

With Philip moving back home, these suspicions may be put on the back burner for a while. But some idea has been planted in the daughter's head, and that won't stay buried for long.

I guess, but I still say the character dynamics have changed very little. You could start the next season virtually the same as the first, other than Nina switching sides and the guy who got immunity knowing what a disguised Elizabeth looks like.

I guess, but I still say the character dynamics have changed very little. You could start the next season virtually the same as the first, other than Nina switching sides and the guy who got immunity knowing what a disguised Elizabeth looks like.

Well, except for...

their daughter is now suspicious of them,

And Stan has compromised his position, and it looks like there's no going back with his wife, making it ever more likely that this dedicated agent is at risk of becoming something he could never imagine,

And We know that Granny is fully capable of taking out a guy who Elizabeth was not - Granny is one scary mofo. I like her!

And Philip and Elizabeth seem to have come back around to each other - Elizabeth more so. Philip always knew he loved her, but until recently, she hasn't been aware of what she really has in her husband - which is kinda sad since he went ahead and MARRIED HIS MOLE !!! Can't wait to see how that works out.

Archived