The Americans

Fragile Bird

And by clean house, I expect he'll be behind, if not killing, the agents...

My thoughts too. I think it likely that he was sent by Moscow as something of an independent agent, with the freedom to make calls and take actions without the Rezidentura's knowledge or go-ahead.

Who was the woman with the orange towel or sweater over her shoulders who passes Phillip in the hallway of the hotel and who, I think, is the one who finds the dead bodies of the other family? She didn't recognize him when they passed each other, but it seems he knew who she was.

Who was the woman with the orange towel or sweater over her shoulders who passes Phillip in the hallway of the hotel and who, I think, is the one who finds the dead bodies of the other family? She didn't recognize him when they passed each other, but it seems he knew who she was.

It was the murdered family's son. Phillip knows what they look like since that was the reason they both went to the park but the families have never actually met each other.

Does anyone else get the feeling that somewhere down the line, Philip's other 'wife' is going to shoot someone with her gun?

And I don't quite understand what went on with the little old lady that played the role of the elderly relative, and the daughter. Was she pretending to be delusional to Philip and Elizabeth's daughter?

Does anyone else get the feeling that somewhere down the line, Philip's other 'wife' is going to shoot someone with her gun?

And I don't quite understand what went on with the little old lady that played the role of the elderly relative, and the daughter. Was she pretending to be delusional to Philip and Elizabeth's daughter?

Yeah, she was pretending to be senile. She clearly is a backup in case someone went looking into Elizabeth's story (though I don't think they had Paige in mind), but it's not clear if she's KGB too or was just paid to play the role without knowing they're Russians.

I don't remember Phillip showing such a stern, dark side to his children before.

And I don't know if 13-14 year old kids would be able to do an apparently long inter-state trip (I don't know the distance between the cities) following by finding themselves in a strange city that easily without any adult helping them before they left or after their boarded the bus. Although that's probably easier and safer to do in the US than in Brazil (where do this sort of thing is often complicated even for adults), so it might be a non-issue.

Loved that song at the end. I watched the episode twice, and by the second hearing, I just really got into it.

Anyway, pretty good episode. Not much ACTION!, but lots of psychological pressure-type situations. Elizabeth walking into the empty home to retrieve the letter her friend left for her son... Paige hesitantly entering the "aunt's" home... the hapless factory worker-type guy who was so intimidated by Elizabeth holding a crowbar... just a few.

I feel fairly confident that Paige's friend on the bus, Kellie, is someone sent by the KGB to keep tabs on her.

I feel fairly confident that Paige's friend on the bus, Kellie, is someone sent by the KGB to keep tabs on her.

How on Earth does that make sense?

What kind of spy agency in the middle of the Cold War recruits a 14 year old to work as a spy deep in enemy territory? And why on Earth would a 13/14 year old child would need to be watched? The Old Lady is there as a cover for Elizabeth if the FBI/CIA come looking, not Paige.

I don't want to go too far out on a limb trying to defend this theory, mainly because it's just a feeling, but who's to say how old Kellie is? There's plenty of people who look much younger than their correct age - many of them in undercover and other work even now.

It may not even be the KGB.

My initial thought when Kellie first befriended Paige on the bus was she's the bait, the supposed nice girl sent out to find other "lost" teenagers who are looking for people to understand them. So I don't think Kellie is a spy or KGB aimed specifically at Paige but maybe she'll be the gateway to some sideline Paige storyline for this season that is completely non-spy related. But it will ultimately call upon Elizabeth's spy skills to track Paige down and bring her home.

As for teenagers riding Trailways alone in the 1980s, I did it when I went to visit family in neighboring states. It wasn't a big deal.

Archived