The Americans

Fragile Bird

Excellent show. I loved the ending montage and I particularly like how the pressure of all the lies is starting to collide between their two lives, not just between Phillip and Elizabeth (and Paige) but also Nina and Stan. It's so well done how everything is layered. I also appreciated the flashbacks just to see how far they've come (even though we saw glimpses of that early in the series).

I have to agree that there are story lines shaping up. Something to do with Kellie leaps up, and of course Nina and Stan.

But since Elizabeth got shot at the end of the first season, I am on the lookout for Martha shooting Philip....

Oh my, thumbnail outlines of the next three episodes! Spoilers...http://www.tv.com/shows/the-americans-2013/episodes/

I think people are reading a little too much into Kellie. I think she's there mainly as a vehicle for character development in Paige. Kellie's influence will push Paige out of her good girl persona, and into teenage rebellion. I doubt there's much more to her than that.

I think people are reading a little too much into Kellie. I think she's there mainly as a vehicle for character development in Paige. Kellie's influence will push Paige out of her good girl persona, and into teenage rebellion. I doubt there's much more to her than that.

That's my thought as well.

Yeah, that's it.

It will also serve to highlight that Phillip and Elizabeth are not, well, Americans. They come from a culture that gives less room for teenagers to challenge their parents and express individuality than the American one. Not only that, but they grew up under Stalin and Khrushchev, when there was even less room for teenage rebellion, since any attempt to go against the system could get you killed, specially under the former.

There's plenty of people who look much younger than their correct age - many of them in undercover and other work even now.

Word. Seems like WiB never watched 21 Jump Street....

I also think that Kelly is KGB. Philip said that they will keep an eye on the kids while they were away, yet we never saw those people. It is definitely possible for Kelly (and her imaginary partner) to be watching Paige and the brother initially, and following her when she decided to take a trip.

Plus, I thought that Kelly definitely looked at least a few years older than Paige. If I had to guess, I would say that the actress is at least 20, so the character can be a 21-22 year old KGB agent.

For sure! It happened so fast, I didn't even catch it. Did the Jewish guy end up waking up and driving the car off, or what happened??

My dog needed to go outside THAT VERY MINUTE too. :(

All I caught was that Phillip and Elizabeth were left in the street with two half-dead agents of some sort who were trying to either protect the Jewish guy, or take him themselves.

Yeah, to me too. And in the previews for next week too.

:bites nails:

The episode had a slow boil right till the end... when all HELL broke loose.

Do you trust Granny?

ETA: I hate to have to stay up to watch it over again, but !!!

Ok, just re-watched that. The woman drove off with the scientist still in the trunk. The question is, were they another Russian team, or were they his American Jewish Defence League-type protectors or Israeli agent protectors?

Lots of thoughts about this episode. In it's own way The Americans is just as good as Mad Men in presenting an era. Kellie took me by surprise, but OMG she was true to type. There were all kinds of religious types looking for souls to save, the obvious ones being the Jehovah's Witnesses and the Hare Krishna, the frightening ones being the Scientologists, the invisible ones being from almost every other religion. Oh horrors, Paige falling into the clutches of religion!

And arguments about playing video games!

I love the way they capture looks on the faces of Elizabeth and Phillip when they are having sex with someone they are seducing.

I guess Philip is starting the break-up with Martha, that might conclude the season with a shooting.

I think that Martha's job application with "Clark's" name on it is going to cause a problem. Either through security clearance review or something else and Martha is going to find out that Clark is not what he seems to be. Then Martha will either "accidently" shoot herself or will shoot "Clark"

Yeah, Kellie took me by surprise too! Who knew her whole scheme was as insidious as... duh, duh, DUH! RELIGION!!!1 It strikes me as silly, but I'm sure to dedicated Communists like P&E, it would be horrific and inexplicable. And the rampant consumerism... well, that idea has taken over Mother Russia too, I'm afraid.

Really, I seriously don't know how you could ever have a sleeper cell planted in a foreign country and expect them to have kids. That's just doomed right from the start.

And, yeah, FB, it certainly is a snapshot in time...

Intellivision!

Religious cults!

Brown cars!

Earth tones!

This is one of the few shows I'd love to have on DVD. You can always find something in it on a re-watch that you didn't notice before.

I think that Martha's job application with "Clark's" name on it is going to cause a problem. Either through security clearance review or something else and Martha is going to find out that Clark is not what he seems to be. Then Martha will either "accidently" shoot herself or will shoot "Clark"

In the previews for next week, it appears Phillip/Clark is going to have more problems on his hands:

P&E are actually spotted by a police cruiser, supporting the beat-up guy between them as they make their way to... who knows?

That take-down went about as badly as it could possibly have gone, short of one of them getting killed.

Did anyone else get the vibe from Elizabeth when she was with Brad (the young Navy nerd) that she was very conflicted? It was a little hard to get a read on it.

OH! And if Martha said, "Lazy romantic morning" one more time, I was about ready to put a foot through the TV.

Archived