What are you dreading most about the conclusion?

Drezelle

I dread Aegon/(F)Aegon/Illyrio Jr./whoever he is winding up on the Iron Throne in any permanent capacity. I can't stand that little git.

Anyone here read a lot of other GRRM stuff? What are his endings usually like?

The only things of his I've read are A Song for Lya and The Dying of the Light. The Dying of the Light is a fun one because it features a character who seems to have been the basis for both the Hound and Loras Tyrell, which comes across about as weird as it sounds.

A Song for Lya is funny because it has a character who seems to be a visual antecedent for Arya (slender, small, dark-haired "Lya"), although she doesn't have Arya's personality at all and she's a woman as opposed to a child, and a character who's a visual antecedent for Sansa ("Laurie Blackburn," who's a grown woman described as a curvaceous "auburn-haired vision"), who's a bit of a romantic. The Arya-type "Lya" character is in a romantic relationship with the narrator, and the Sansa-type "Laurie" character is in a relationship with a character who's glib and cynical and who "sounds" (in the sense of his dialogue) like Littlefinger. So make of that what you will.

As for the ending for A Song for Lya, it's sad, but it depends on how you look at it, I guess. It's not totally bleak. Spoilers up in here:

The narrator is in a romantic relationship with Lya. They are both telepaths but Lya is more gifted than the narrator. They go to a planet to investigate this religion centred around this parasitic creature to which adherents sacrifice their bodies over a period of time, becoming "joined" in a kind of collective hive mind and experiencing perfect joy/perfect communion/perfect love with all the other people who have been "joined." Even though the Littlefinger character shrugs these feelings off as a kind of drug for the parasitic creature to lure in its victims, and the narrator is skeptical, Lya sacrifices her body (so that she's instantly consumed) to join the collective. She comes to the narrator in a dream and tells him all this, but the narrator resists and chooses human connection, however imperfect and flawed. He has sex with Laurie Blackburn, who has been frustrated by the Littlefinger character's coldness and inability to form an intimate emotional connection with her, and they talk throughout the night, and it reaffirms his commitment to humanity, or something. The end!

The Dying of the Light, on the other hand, revolves around a dying world, so it's about as cheery as you can imagine. Without giving away too too much, I can say that it doesn't have a "Rocks fall, everyone dies" ending, although it did seem awfully depressing. The novel does deal a lot with societal changes under apocalyptic-type conditions, so maybe that will figure into the series more as time progresses.

I dread Arya and/or Sansa dying. I feel weirdly secure about Bran, Jon, and Rickon, but Arya and Sansa, far less so. Leave them alone, GRRM!

I dread a Tyrion/Tysha meeting, something some people here seem to be wishing for. I believe that if she's alive, which I hope she is, she should not have to go back to this horrible thing that has happened to her ever again. Also, any kind of conversation between the two would have to be either unrealistic or painfull.

On the bright side, maybe Tysha would kill him in a blind rage. I think a lot of fans could get behind that outcome. (I agree that the alternative of Tyrion's self-pity and wallowing being increased by a factor of 10 if the Tysha/Tyrion meeting doesn't end in his violent and bloody demise is pretty unappetizing, though.)

Greyscale can lie dormant for awhile though, I don't think it necessarily happens straight away so he's wise to keep pricking his fingers.

The greyscale could figure into a "bittersweet" ending for Tyrion; he could survive all the many, many things which should have killed him, wind up with everything he wants (Casterly Rock, Tysha or some other loving mate, recognition, plaudits, etc. etc.), only for the greyscale to kick in right when he has it all, giving him 2-10 years to enjoy it.

And the represent is that I like dany and will represent her....And I think Dany and Sansa are similar in a way....But I like Dany way more. And from what I've read so far...everyone hates dany.

And brans legs....just dont....lol

There are some Dany supporters on here such as myself. We are definitely in the minority tho.

I'm dreading the though of how old I'll be when it is finished.

Oh I'm deading that too, also being dead or anything that prevents me from finding out how it ends :bang:

-A "sitting on the edge of the seat. nooooooooo what happens next???" open ending.

-Dany as the victorious one or succeding/sitting on the iron throne at the end while/or being romantically involved with Jon.

-No Stark at Winterfell (or no Starks at all!!) and also not even a tiny glimpse of a Stark reunion.

-And of course how many/which of the characters I like will join the dead list.

I hate that the last book will be called "A dream of Spring" Now we know the last 2 books will be all in winter and their is a chance that the series will end with eternal winter... I hope that does not happen.

I hope we get to see more of the world and some new POV characters.

I hate when in movies and stories the bad guy gives that speech at the end where they tell all their secrets and motives and such BUT I'm hoping to get something of the sort from Littlefinger and Varys. I want to know what they know!!

If it's the novel I'm thinking of, I hated the ending. Characters that had been out of the storyline for a long time suddenly re-emerge and while they are the driving force of the action, are seen second-person by characters who had up until then had been the driving force of the action. It's been awhile since I read it, so my thoughts on it are kind of muddled. I hope that made sense.

Suffice it to say the entire second half of the book is a total mess. Was a great first half though.

Archived