Robert’s Rebellion: Justified or there was another way?

Jon's Queen Consort

Then why bother reading the books? I would note as well that the Northmen went willingly. Their Stark and his heir had been brutally murdered.

What exactly do you base this claim on? We haven't had a PoV from any non-Stark Northerner, and IIRC we don't even have any statements about this rebellion from Northerners outside the highest ranked nobles.

Jorah was a Northerner and he said in no uncertain terms that the smallfolk want to be left alone and not to be in involved in the political games and wars of the nobles.

So in other words, the worst that could happen is the same war which happened anyway because Jon, Ned and Robert rebelled? Pretty weak argument.

So in other words, the worst that could happen is the same war which happened anyway because Jon, Ned and Robert rebelled? Pretty weak argument.

If someone wants a war with you the best thing to do is go on the attack instead of waiting for it. If Aerys goes to war first (and murdering Rickard and asking for Robert's head WAS going to war) and arrives at Storm's End with his main force, the war is over.

No. Aerys shouldn't get a pass. That's why god made assassins.

Do you have anything to suggest that Ned or Robert actually knew anything about the FM? Or that it would have occurred to them if they did? Jon Arryn certainly didn't think of it and he was the guy who initially called his banners.

What exactly do you base this claim on? We haven't had a PoV from any non-Stark Northerner, and IIRC we don't even have any statements about this rebellion from Northerners outside the highest ranked nobles.

Jorah was a Northerner and he said in no uncertain terms that the smallfolk want to be left alone and not to be in involved in the political games and wars of the nobles.

War is terrible, but young men often idealize it and want to go. Also, look at the fact that these men willingly march through miles of snow just to save Ned's daughter. If you really think the Northern smallfolk weren't loyal to the Starks, I don't know what to tell you.

You are also basing your entire argument on one line from Jorah Mormont.

what?!!!

in a Feudal system , high lords like Ned and Robert are considered to be something like the kings of their region , yes that is why they call it seven kingdoms . so , those peasants are(should be) loyal to their lords (Ned and Robert) not the king (mad king). their lords demanded their service and they obeyed.

I really don't see a big dead here , peasants have died for lesser things , why not die protecting their lords.

Why should they die for Ned and Robert? Just because someone else died before? That's not a reason. I'm just saying war is just as immoral for Ned and Rebert as it is for Balon and Tywin. There's no difference when you're talking about killing thousands of people.

Why should they die for Ned and Robert? Just because someone else died before? That's not a reason. I'm just saying war is just as immoral for Ned and Rebert as it is for Balon and Tywin. There's no difference when you're talking about killing thousands of people.

"war is bad, so everyone who ever fought a war ever is bad" is pretty much the worst argument you could make. We're talking about ASOIAF here. Save it for the drum circle.

Then we all agree and The Rise of Dorne sugests a FM. But still even with a FM the problem isn't solved.

A facelesss man solves the problem just as much a rebellion. Its not like they were guaranteed to win. They could have stayed in the Eryie and sent out ravens. They've got several years worth of food up there. Or they could have gone to Braavos themselves and kept running from their.

There's actually a huge difference when killing thousands of people.

Not to be provocative, but I have a hard time thinking that it really matters whether the Rebellion was justified. It seems to me the more important thing is that it was inevitable. There's no practical way it could have been avoided, so far as I can see (assuming for the moment that neither Ned, nor Robert, was ever going to order an assassination).

So the basic jist I'm getting from some of the posters here is "Aerys didn't need to be deposed because he was murdering nobles, not smallfolk"...really?

No, they mean that the Rebellion was not justified, since it implies that Jon, Robert and Ned threw thousands of people into a war, which could have been prevented if they just went to Essos or something like it. They say it is unfair to throw thousands of people into a war, even if it means that you will be killed.

Just wondering if the same love and care that people shows for the smallfolks during RR feel the same about those who died in and Field of Fire and in War of Conquest generally...

Well, I think most people will feel the same as they do here, though some people are convinced that the War of Conquest was justified because the Seven Kingdoms are now one Kingdom and because, dragons.

because Ned and Robert are their Lords . they died protecting their lords . no it is not immoral , they(Robert and Ned) didn't go to war with the mad king , the war forced on them , they had no choice. of course there is a difference . what they demanded form their men were just and right , but what balon and twyin demanded were self serving and unlawful.

If you subscribe to the Southron Ambitions school of thought the Great Lords were already moving to remove Aerys with a great council and replace him with Rhaegar. That's why Rhaegar told Jamie changes were in the offing when he returned from the trident. I'm sure I would have rebelled too, but there's nothing moral about it. There are certainly more moral ways to deal with it. Ned could have gone beyond the wall, Robert could have joined a sell sword company.

Uh?

Archived