UK Politics XIII: The Kingdom for a Horse

Datepalm

If Labour are even being talked about on the news in somewhere like Eastleigh I'll take that as an early victory.

The whole South East is really a complete mess. Write the while lot off. Maybe sink it in to the sea?

So, who will win the exciting Eastleigh by-election?

The by-election does have the usual selection of eccentric parties, including the Wessex Regionalist party which seems to be campaigning for self-government for the former Anglo-Saxon Kingdom of Wessex. I think they may have overtaken the Cornish Nationalists as being the most quixotic attempt to bring back a largely forgotten nation, they also have a logo that looks very much like the cover of a self-published fantasy novel.

I think it's fair to say that they're not going to win.

I can announce that Alan Howling Laud Hope has won Eastleigh on a swing of 100% horsemeat.

Or it's an LD hold with UKIP getting 28% and Tories coming third. It's a democracy, you choose.

Well you know what they say. New Lib Dem, new sex scandal. The libido of Lloyd-George animates the party still.

The party of 1953 beating the Tories into third place is going to get a few people frothing in Westminster. Anybody betting on there being any defections from the Conservatives?

John Harris in the Grauniad had some line about the UKIP candidate for Eastleigh coming off like a Tory pro while the Tory candidate kippered it up. I defer to you Englanders on this, but it looks like there's a mix of Tea Party Tories who should pretty much be kippers and sane(r) kippers who could jump the other way.

I have heard talk that not all the UKIP members are fifty or older and that allegedly some more articulate types are being attracted to the party, some even talk of their having "a raft" of policies.

There talk of potential defectors, but then Marta Andreasen recently jumped the fence and joined the Tories. I saw that the Hamiltons are now in UKIP, personally I'd have been wary of accepting somebody as a member if they had been proven to have asked questions in parliament in return for brown envelopes full of banknotes, but not UKIP. The pair were even campaigning in Eastleigh, doubtless as a demonstration of traditional British values and the good old days when you could smoke in pubs, send your children in theory to grammar school and if their were foreigners they were neither seen nor heard.

Those who believe that fraudulent postal ballots from gay Bulgarian immigrants saved Clegg have eaten the kedgeree* and are lost forever, cursed to wander the online comment section of the Daily Telegraph without respite mourning the loss of Empire and fantasising about Delia Smith's Steamed Treacle Sponge the rest will return to the Conservatives in 2015 as predicted in Proverbs 26:11.

*we have no KoolAid

I have heard talk that not all the UKIP members are fifty or older and that allegedly some more articulate types are being attracted to the party, some even talk of their having "a raft" of policies.

There talk of potential defectors, but then Marta Andreasen recently jumped the fence and joined the Tories. I saw that the Hamiltons are now in UKIP, personally I'd have been wary of accepting somebody as a member if they had been proven to have asked questions in parliament in return for brown envelopes full of banknotes, but not UKIP. The pair were even campaigning in Eastleigh, doubtless as a demonstration of traditional British values and the good old days when you could smoke in pubs, send your children in theory to grammar school and if their were foreigners they were neither seen nor heard.

I don't begruge the Hamiltons* this, I'm pretty sure they have to get a certain amount of media time per annum or face being sucked into an eldritch dimension of pure horror. Or something.

*why do I know who these people are?! I didn't grow up in the UK in 90s or any other period. Curse you Hislop! Damn you, Merton and Youtube to hell!

John Harris in the Grauniad had some line about the UKIP candidate...

Now I've read the article I'd say I'm underwhelmed. Yes UKIP are good at tapping in to a segment of the population, no they haven't been able to transform that into seats outside of European elections. Now that gives comfortable livings to a few people fairly unaccountable to their electors but it is a long way from shaking UK politics. UKIP have fewer councillors than the Green Party and no MP. Look at the Lib Dems and how they struggle to gain the odd seat and keep it, the first past the post system and the trend to centralisation in UK politics makes it hard work for a new party to get anywhere.

So today's the Falkland's Referendum. To be honest I think the chance of them voting to leave the UK is remote at best. They've expressed time and time again that they wish to stay British, why can't Argentina just accept that?

So today's the Falkland's Referendum. To be honest I think the chance of them voting to leave the UK is remote at best. They've expressed time and time again that they wish to stay British, why can't Argentina just accept that?

Because it gives them an opportunity to complain about European colonialism and thus distract the people from domestic problems.

Also, oil.

99.8% for staying British, something like 3 people for not remaining British.

Most pointless referendum of all time?

It was never about the result. It was to make a public statement about the Islanders desire to remain British. It also forces the Argentina to state that the will of the Islanders to remain British doesn't matter.

So every paper that carries the result, will almost probably also print the response of Argentina that the islanders have no right to have a say on how they are governed.

Archived