What words that are commonly mispronounced annoy you most?

MisterOJ

There are different pronunciations of that? :dunce:

Yes.

British: Al-loo-min-ee-um

American: A-loo-min-um

or so I've heard.

The British throw an extra "i" in there and then act snooty about it.

Well; there's nothing snooty about it ^_^ I said in my first post it was nothing about snobbery, it's just sometimes strange to hear different pronunciations to the one you're used to.

I hate it when people mispronounce ''I couldn't care less'' as ''I could care less''

:lol:

:lol: This. I don't even.

Well I guess I was wrong. I was under the impression queue was pronounced like quay, but apparently it actually is "cue".

EDIT: Don't Brits say "quay"? I think that's probably where I got it from.

Eh? Queue is pronounced 'cue'. I've never heard any other pronunciation.

ETA: I'm British.

I also love to say 'anteeee-beee-AHHH-tic' the way English people do, instead of the American 'antibiotic'. It makes me feel smart, yet smarmy all at the same time.

It's a wonderful feeling. Try it sometime.

I also love to say 'anteeee-beee-AHHH-tic' the way English people do, instead of the American 'antibiotic'. It makes me feel smart, yet smarmy all at the same time.

Does it help to do it in a very nasaly voice as well?

Again, eh? Am I just speaking wrong? :laugh:

http://www.howjsay.c...word=antibiotic

Edit: Now I'm having fun with this website :lol:

I'm English, and that's not how we say that word.

I don't think I've ever heard someone pronounce it like this :P

Ant-ee-bi-yot-ic.

Well I guess I was wrong. I was under the impression queue was pronounced like quay, but apparently it actually is "cue".

I've never heard this either, hehehe. It's always 'cue' :lol:

I hate it when people mispronounce ''I couldn't care less'' as ''I could care less''

:lol:

Even I hate this. :lol:

Yes.

British: Al-loo-min-ee-um

American: A-loo-min-um

Thanks for the explanation. I think the British pronunciation makes more sense.

Also, appears that I at least knew how to say queue. :smug:

http://www.howjsay.c...word=antibiotic

Edit: Now I'm having fun with this website :lol:

Haha great, thanks for that link!

You people would have a coronary here in the deep South. We totally slaughter the English language. My dad sometimes talks about a sharecropper who lived next door to him as a kid who would take him hunting and tell him that the rabbit would 'financially' (instead of 'eventually') come out on the otha' side of that there...whatever. He would also talk about watching his TVA (TV).

My dad loved that man. He said he knew more about the outdoors and wildlife than anyone he ever knew, but he had no formal education.

People often don't think of Virginia this way anymore probably becuase of the Northern Virginia area being the most well known part of the state to outsiders while also not being at all like the rest of Virginia, but in the southern areas of the state you can get some pretty thick accents. My parents live in south/central Va now and I went to high school there.

During summers when I was in HS and college I used to work at a manufacturing plant under the maintenance guy. Me and another kid would paint the building and do landscaping and stuff. Our boss... and everyone I worked with there, really, had pretty thick southern accents. My boss not only had a pretty heavy accent but he also kind of mumbled like Boomhauer in King of the Hill. AND he had nearly cut off his hand in a manufacturing accident years ago and while they were able to sew him up and reattach everything, it really fucked up some of the tendons in his dominant arm so his fingers kind of curled inward and wouldn't straighten out properly.

Seemingly his favorite thing to do was mumble what he wanted me to do and point in the general area of the task.... with his hand that can't point! So I could neither understand his accent through the mumble, nor did I know what the fuck he was trying to point at! :lol:

Really great guy though, I liked him quite a bit.

I demand that you Americans start being consistent and talk about radum, strontum, etc.

Heh?

Heh?

I don't think I've ever heard someone pronounce it like this :P

Ant-ee-bi-yot-ic.

Maybe you're not posh enough? I dunno. I live in Mississippi. Don't listen to me. We need Hereward to settle this. Or maybe his man.

ETA: Muhahahahaha. Hereward shows up and doesn't know what the hell I'm talking about. Why do you British people not know what I'm saying???? I definitely know more about your pronounciations than you do. I AM CORRECT. :P

My grandfather was in charge of dam building for the TVA so he picked up a lot of amusing things along the way. Hosepipe for hose. Money was cash money and folding cash money (better than cash money) all to distinguish it from scrip. I'm trying to remember some of the others....

Eta. There are distinctly different Southern accents. I twang more than I drawl if that makes sense.

People often don't think of Virginia this way anymore probably becuase of the Northern Virginia area being the most well known part of the state to outsiders while also not being at all like the rest of Virginia, but in the southern areas of the state you can get some pretty thick accents. My parents live in south/central Va now and I went to high school there.

Where abouts in Virginia? Even though I lived in Kentucky, I was just a mile down the road from the KY-VA state line, and I actually went to high school in Virginia - in Grundy.

Archived