The Sopranos (Spoilers)

Sour Billy Tipton

I never knew that the weight gain of Tony was on purpose. Does this mean Gandolfini intentionally gained weight too? That's pretty dedicated, if so.

In the later seasons he is shown eating in about 60% of his scenes. He never stops consuming.

In the later seasons he is shown eating in about 60% of his scenes. He never stops consuming.

I really need to marathon through the box set this summer. Seems like there's a lot of things I've missed/forgotten when watching it year in year out.

Supposedly his accent was deliberately made more pronounced over the course of the series as well, to make it more nasally and "distorted". It's really noticeable if you watch an episode from the first season and then compare it the last.

Really? Was this mentioned in a commentary or something.

I really want to believe that the weight gain was a deliberate effort by Gandolfini, I really do, but I think it's far more likely that he spent too long at Satriales and gained a permanent addiction to pork. That thing about him always eating is fascinating though, it's one of the things you don't think about but can look back on.

I mostly liked the show. There were some parts of a few seasons that I thought weren't so good but the rest was gold. Also, the ending was terrible -- "choose your own because we couldn't decide!"

I do think there were seasons later in the series where some characters seemed unfeasibly safe and would have died based on the mechanics of earlier seasons but they were popular so hung around. This meant some of the newer characters often felt like cannon fodder but the final season still delivered the pay-off for the majority of characters.

I really liked the ending and in the grand scheme of the things is far better than most show endings. I'm not even sure you were supposed to choose your ending and liked the theory that scene was a bit like the viewing being the victim in that when you're dead the lives of others continue without your knowledge.

Archived