Reviewing the Season 2 Bluray Set

Westeros

What did you ladies think? Tyrion, why.

I liked it better the second time, Sophie and Rory are great as always, getting across that the two characters both saw right through each other.

Screencaps of the scene look great.

Then Tyrion came along out of the blue. The same triangle dynamic at the end of the rescue scene, but then they gave the Hound a great comeback.

Mine arrived a short while ago...haven't had a chance to watch it. Hope to do so later...

More hidden eggs to find? I enjoyed them but had a tough time finding some of ones on the last set..... :rolleyes:

Specially since they always find time for the whores scenes to fit in...

I know! :tantrum: Ros should go away.

The more the show raise Tyrion as the main character, the more I get uninterested of him.

The Doreah/Irri scene is an absolute mess.

It's really, really strange. I can see why they cut it, the acting is terrible. I wish a good scene had been shot that further explained what had happened there though, because IIRC it was poorly explained.

I think I can safely blame the actress playing Doreah. The lines would sound infinitely better if she wasn't playing it like she had suddenly become a moustache twirling villain. If you blame anything, it's the director for not getting her to dial it back about 10 notches. At least don't have a smirk on your face during the scene. What the hell is that all about?

Anyways, of all the deleted scenes that have been posted so far, I haven't seen any that should have been included in the show. Like most deleted scenes, there's a good reason why they were cut.

I feel a bit for the SanSan fans: HBO giveth (SanSan scene) and HBO taketh away (Tyrion shows up randomly). I'm not surprised it was cut, though.

I did like Sansa sassing Sandor with "I don't know any songs. Not anymore." Yes! Four for you, Sansa, you don't have to take that crap from him. (The line itself was a bit nonsensical, but I appreciate the sentiment.)

It's funny, because it seemed to me like the adaptation was specifically changing the Hound's characterization (to make him nicer and less of a jerk) and was also deliberately scrubbing any reference in Sansa's scenes to songs, and yet in this deleted scene we get both a somewhat jerkier version of the Hound and a discussion of songs, so who knows? Maybe I'm giving the writers too much credit.

God knows why they are building up the Sansa / Tyrion thing

If this scene was supposed to go in 2x04 (and I think it was), then it was written by Vanessa Taylor, who wrote 2x04 and 2x06 and seems to be a bit of a Tyrion/Sansa shipper, judging from those episodes, so that might explain it.

Agree that the Irri/Doreah scene was deservedly given the chop.

The Loras and Margaery scene is okay, but the writing is a little bit cheesy at first.

The Sandor/Sansa/Tyrion scene is good but just doesn't make sense because of the changes to Sandor's character. And Tyrion's appearance at the end was just completely unnecessary.

I'm glad the Varys/Littlefinger scene was cut. It wasn't very good (although the shot of Littlefinger cutting himself on the Iron Throne was great).

I think I can safely blame the actress playing Doreah. The lines would sound infinitely better if she wasn't playing it like she had suddenly become a moustache twirling villain. If you blame anything, it's the director for not getting her to dial it back about 10 notches.

The dialogue is completely out of character, repulsive, and overly-sexualised.

The dialogue isn't really out of character, she's a sex slave from a pleasure house, she'd certainly have that experience in her history. The bug-eyed snarling and grinning while delivering the lines is what's ultimately the campiest thing about the exchange.

In any case, good call to not put the scene in. I like Doreah as the slightly naive opportunist who betrays Dany rather than the murderous psycho this scene pits her as.

How does the Loras and Margaery scene "further degrade Renly's character"?

agreed, while i wasn't too much a fan of the change in Renly's character, only declaring because of Loras, not being the cocky, ambitious guy he was in the book (though i love Gethin Anthony), those changes were already shown to us in season one. this scene didn't further change what we already knew.

To correct my earlier post, it seems that the Sansa/Sandor deleted scene came out of 2x03 and not 2x04. That actually makes more sense, if the scene was intended to fall after Sansa's horrible dinner with Cersei and before Shae shows up as her handmaid: Sansa is upset in the deleted scene at the beginning because she's just been emotionally tortured by Cersei, and Tyrion showing up is a nod to Shae showing up in the next scene as Sansa's handmaid. So this explains not only how Tyrion got the idea to ask Shae to be Sansa's handmaid (he sees one of Sansa's handmaids hustle by and you can see the wheels turning), but also why Sansa's so on edge around Shae: not only has she been put through the wringer by Cersei, she's also had to deal with the Hound. The "missing scene" explains a lot, actually.

So I guess Bryan Cogman wrote the scene and not Vanessa Taylor.

How does the Loras and Margaery scene "further degrade Renly's character"?

I don't know about degrading, but it undermines Renly's ambitions. Yes, it shows the Tyrells' thirst for power and Loras and Marge's close relationship, but the books do portray Renly as being quite ambitious. Not sure whether I agree with Loras being so openly distraught with his sister. I know they were close, but I did see him as being a bit tougher in the books.

Archived