Official Game of Thrones Season 3 Trailer Now Live

Westeros

I don't think that Oberyn being around is the reason that the PW won't be in S3. I just don't think there's enough time to build up the event when you have the Sansa-Tyrion wedding in E8 and the RW in E9. Then in the finale, you need to catch up on all of the 9-10 plotlines. How are you supposed to stage yet another wedding while still allowing for all of the King's Landing characters to react to the news of the RW? It's not plausible.

If you're going to do it, do it right and let the event be built up effectively at the start of next season.

Also, the finale is being extended by 5 minutes. That's not really any kind of indication that they will be attempting to fit in another major event. More an acknowledgement that they need extra time to catch up on every single arc on the show in this episode.

I got the impression that it was more than that. And in addition aren't all of the episodes a bit longer, which should culminate in a whole extra episodes worth of material theoretically.

I don't think that Oberyn being around is the reason that the PW won't be in S3. I just don't think there's enough time to build up the event when you have the Sansa-Tyrion wedding in E8 and the RW in E9. Then in the finale, you need to catch up on all of the 9-10 plotlines. How are you supposed to stage yet another wedding while still allowing for all of the King's Landing characters to react to the news of the RW? It's not plausible.

If you're going to do it, do it right and let the event be built up effectively at the start of next season.

Also, the finale is being extended by 5 minutes. That's not really any kind of indication that they will be attempting to fit in another major event. More an acknowledgement that they need extra time to catch up on every single arc on the show in this episode.

They can build a pre-wedding buildup for Joffrey any time during the season. Remember Tyrion/Sansa is wedding supposed to suddenly come out of the blue and doesn't have to affect PW preparations.

I don't think that Oberyn being around is the reason that the PW won't be in S3. I just don't think there's enough time to build up the event when you have the Sansa-Tyrion wedding in E8 and the RW in E9.

Sansa-Tyrion's wedding is part of the buil-up towards the PW. Essentially, we have to see Tyrion's and Joffrey's confrontation grow (as the trailer shows) and the wedding is the climax of that, as it directly implicates Tyrion in the murder. Not to use those events (that are shown in the trailer) to build up the PW is stupid. What other build-up do you need??

I got the impression that it was more than that. And in addition aren't all of the episodes a bit longer, which should culminate in a whole extra episodes worth of material theoretically.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/12/18/game-of-thrones-longer-season-3/

In fact, the third season finale is expected to run more than an hour — a move that requires special permission from the network (previously, the show’s pilot and its second season finale exceeded an hour). Episodes are still being calibrated so exact times could change, but HBO and producers are confident the season will deliver more Thrones than ever before. Says HBO in a statement: “All 10 episodes gained a minute or two from past seasons with the finale very possibly exceeding 60 minutes.”

For further reference, the S2 finale was 64 minutes and it still felt like it was crammed and rushed.

They can build a pre-wedding buildup for Joffrey any time during the season. Remember Tyrion/Sansa is wedding supposed to suddenly come out of the blue and doesn't have to affect PW preparations.

True, but we do need the whole wedding gift section when Tyrion catches on to the valyrian steel knife and a scene were he externalises this opinion. And that needs to happen in E10 for the timelines to work. It happens right before the wedding, and there needs to be a gap between episode 9 and 10 to give time for the news of the RW to reach KL.

I just don't see the PW happening in this season. It's too much. There is already one major event at the end of this season in the RW, and Dany will likely buy the Unsullied in episode ten as well. We also don't know if the event at Castle Black will happen this season or not, but if it does that's another big late-season event.

They divided the third book into two seasons for a reason, and it wasn't so that they could cram the entire book into the third season. They need to save some major stuff for the fourth season, and the PW is a fantastic event that should ideally take place about midway through season four. Doing it at the end of season three doesn't leave enough content for season four. Plus, doing it right after the RW would feel way too cheap. Neither the show or the books should be interested in fan service. Put off giving the people what they want and it feels all the better when they actually get it.

I think they are going to slow down and develop some things this season

1. RW and TSW this sesaon

2. PW next season

The issue is Joffrey has become as hated as Nellie Oleson . . ... and having his wedding Mid season, season 4 would be akin to killing Eddard in Episode 5.

They may want to save $$$$ and Jack Gleeson may want to move on with everything else he is doing. $$$$ and production time are the biggest issues with this series. This series is expensive and to get everything done in about a year is a huge rush and you have the schedules of actors and actresses and staff.

It is a Grind and HBO cares about two things 1. Money 2. Timing

I'm convinced they're going to go really quite far with Dany's story this Season. We may even get so far as to completing the events of Yunkai.

My reasoning?

So far all the evidence we have points to the Purple Wedding not being included. HBO will want this series to last a while, especially as ASoS is so good, and so I doubt they would cram in two major events in two back to back episodes. However, no PW will leave people really depressed after the events of the Red Wedding and they will need some balance. Lady Stonehart's resurrection will probably not be enough, but Dany conquering Yunkai could well be. Furthermore, I'm pretty sure we're not going to get to Ygritte's death in Jon's storyline (too depressing) and so Jon hasn't got a huge amount to do this season. Tyrion's story is even less busy in the books and so someone else has gotta take up the screentime. Dany.

I just don't see the PW happening in this season. It's too much. There is already one major event at the end of this season in the RW, and Dany will likely buy the Unsullied in episode ten as well. We also don't know if the event at Castle Black will happen this season or not, but if it does that's another big late-season event.

I keep seeing people saying this... but no. It will probably happen in episode 4 or 5.

True, but we do need the whole wedding gift section when Tyrion catches on to the valyrian steel knife and a scene were he externalises this opinion. And that needs to happen in E10 for the timelines to work. It happens right before the wedding, and there needs to be a gap between episode 9 and 10 to give time for the news of the RW to reach KL.

They have been doing time-skips rather freely in the show, so I don't think they need any real gap between the events. Also they can have Tywin-Tyrion discussion about RW happen as cuts at the same time with RW.

KL story can easily build up toward PW during the season, interrupted only with Tyrion wedding in e8 and RW in e9.

As for not having material for S4, even if they go too far into ASOS, they can bring some material from next books to S4.

As someone else pointed out, Season 1's finale gave time for everyone to react to Ned's death and still found time for the dragons, Robb's crowning, and Jon.

The season finale is 65 minutes. Jon, Dany, Jaime/Brienne, and Arya/Hond will all get 5-10 minutes depending on what is needed. Still leaves a solid 30-40 minute chunk to include the RW fallout and the wedding itself.

You condense it to

1. News of the Red Wedding hits Kings Landing. Joffrey says he will give no mercy to the North, Tywin disagrees, Joffrey calls him a coward.

2. Tyrion tells Sansa about her mother and brother

2. Littlefinger consoling a grief striken Sansa and gives her the hairnet

3. Have Joffrey receive the gifts at the feast. Joffrey carving up the book be in addition to the dwarves.

4, Tyrion serves Joffrey the wine and the last shot is of Joffrey's bloated purple face to the screams of Margarey and Cersei.

They have been doing time-skips rather freely in the show, so I don't think they need any real gap between the events. Also they can have Tywin-Tyrion discussion about RW happen as cuts at the same time with RW.

KL story can easily build up toward PW during the season, interrupted only with Tyrion wedding in e8 and RW in e9.

As for not having material for S4, even if they go too far into ASOS, they can bring some material from next books to S4.

But why would they want to rush the PW? The books after aSoS are a lot weaker and filled with far less exciting plot twists. HBO will want aSoS spread almost completely over two seasons with only minimal amounts from aFfC (such as the Kingsmoot). This will keep people captivated in the series for as long a time as possible.

But why would they want to rush the PW? The books after aSoS are a lot weaker and filled with far less exciting plot twists. HBO will want aSoS spread almost completely over two seasons with only minimal amounts from aFfC (such as the Kingsmoot). This will keep people captivated in the series for as long a time as possible.

AFFC and ADWD will be epic tv, imagine watching those books come to life in unison and in correct timeline and without the filler parts of the books and non necessary characters. It will be amazing.

Totally agree.

Plus, if they do the PW this season, we will miss out on half of the development of one of the best characters in the series: the Red Viper. His pre-PW conversations with Tyrion are all excellent, and if Tyrion is confined after the PW, those scenes will either not take place or have to take place with someone else. Plus, let's not forget that the Red Viper is at least considered to be the culprit behind the PW, and if he's not there we lose out on that aspect of it as well.

Remember, when you first go through the PW scene, you have no idea who did it, and the Red Viper is as good a suspect as any given his affinity for poisons. Doing the PW without his character there would be a disservice.

^Definitely. Agreed.

AFFC and ADWD will be epic tv, imagine watching those books in correct timeline and without the filler parts of the books and non necessary characters. It will be amazing.

Afraid I can't agree - even though my first read was with AFFC and ADWD in the correct timelines, I still came away disappointed, particularly with the plot. If you get rid of the filler, you could probably cram AFFC and ADWD into a single extended season. Which is what I would recommend. (if possible).

However, in that case, whilst it might make decent tv (although complicated because the map becomes huge), they'll end up catching up with George RR Martin very rapidly. On the flip side, if they drag the two books out over two complete seasons it will be tedious to watch. Which means that they're faced with problems either way.

Much easier for them to delay the decision making and expand ASOS to fit two whole Seasons. The book is awesome so it's pretty much guaranteed that the audience will love every minute of it. Not so with AFFC and ADWD.

Archived