Boarders Writing a Novel: Take 8

Spockydog

There are too many people making good progress since my last check-in to congratulate them individually . So congrats, all! For my own progress, I got an email from the publication I submitted one of my recent stories to, and it wasn't a rejection. It was the exact opposite, in fact, and I'm riding pretty high today. It has always been a goal to be published, and it looks like that's going to happen. Now I just need to keep improving and writing more and more to continue the trend.

I think I'll heed the board's advice about letting a draft sit. I was going to start edits on my story tonight, but I think I'll write something else. I've got a fun little idea that I can get a flash fiction story out of, so I can write that first.

As for editing and critiques, I've just joined a writer's group in the area and there's a meeting coming up which I'll be submitting for. I look forward to getting mauled.

Congratulations, that's fantastic news!

Novel, novella or a short?

There are too many people making good progress since my last check-in to congratulate them individually . So congrats, all! For my own progress, I got an email from the publication I submitted one of my recent stories to, and it wasn't a rejection. It was the exact opposite, in fact, and I'm riding pretty high today. It has always been a goal to be published, and it looks like that's going to happen. Now I just need to keep improving and writing more and more to continue the trend.

I think I'll heed the board's advice about letting a draft sit. I was going to start edits on my story tonight, but I think I'll write something else. I've got a fun little idea that I can get a flash fiction story out of, so I can write that first.

As for editing and critiques, I've just joined a writer's group in the area and there's a meeting coming up which I'll be submitting for. I look forward to getting mauled.

Congratulations! :)

I'm writing a science-fiction/fantasy genre novel series at present called Technology vs Beast. The name is subject to change. I wanted to share the plot with the community in order to get opinions, criticisms and advice in the field of writing. Any contributions to this thread are much appreciated.

Five hundred years before the start of the story, a group of religious scientists came together in the city of New Hope, the spiritual capital of the world. As far as the public knew, their aim was to come to an understanding on their differing beliefs in order to promote tolerance and enlightenment. But their actual goal was quite different.

Their actual plan was to create a God with their own hands. They thought that humanity needed this in order for all people to come together. The details of how to do it were unable to be agreed upon by the men, and they resolved to allow their creation to make that decision.

Secretly using government funding, they began to build a mechanized deity. The result of their labor was the super mech (or gundam if you will) Adrastos. Adrastos was instilled with a technology that allowed it to have the knowledge of everything that happened in the world up to the time it was created and every thing that would happen up until the time it would awaken.

The scientists programmed him to slumber for one hundred years and awaken in the future on the anniversary of its creation. On that day, it would decide the fate of all the worlds inhabitants. Shipped off into The Worlds Above ( story version of outer space), the scientists masked their work by introducing an army of mechs that were provided to any military willing to pay for them.

In the fifty years after the creation of Adrastos, mechs became so common to the point that there were theme parks where people could fight mechs for recreation and even sports leagues.

Eventually, the time came for Adrastos to awaken and so it did. Having slumbered for one hundred years, all knowledge happening on the Inhabited Spectrum was downloaded into its systems. It began to immediately undertake its purpose.

Adrastos resolved that the best thing it could do to lead humanity was to destroy it and repopulate Inhabited Spectrum with existences like itself, that all creation would be as God. A crystallized orb meant for serving its purposes was removed from its chest panel. It used those to create twelve powerful but lesser beings that were equal to each other and less than Adrastos.

Their purpose was to slumber until such time that twelve denizens on Inhabited Spectrum of pure heart, whether it be good or evil, came to exist. They would bond with those twelve chosen until such time that the bond was powerful enough to allow them to absorb them.

When all twelves bonds were realized, the bonded would come together and form one super weapon that Adrastos would use to destroy everyone and reanimate them as a mechanized Demi God.

Four hundred years after the awakening of Adrastos, a group referring to themselves as Acolytes arrived on Inhabited Spectrum from another world. They claim to have come because their world was no longer inhabitable. The Acolytes claimed they only wanted peace.

The Enlightened Brigade, a government organization that saw over all major world affairs, presented the Acolytes with two options: leave in peace or face mass extermination. The God of the Acolytes, Gerphalt, resolved to declare war on The Enlightened Brigade and liberate both Acolytes and Inhabitants from their influence.

Having come to know of the Acolytes arrival and the war on Inhabited Spectrum, Adrastos decided to use this to further his plans. This was made possible when the first of his twelve creations came into contact with its chosen one.

Adrastos began to search out the chosen ones remaining in order to bring them together with his creations, dubbed the Holy Flashes. If successful, Adrastos will use the war to bring about the end of all life as Inhabitants and Acolytes know it and usher in a new age.

If anyone is wondering, I plan to write the series from multiple POVs the way GRRM has written ASOIAF. Right now, I'm working on formatting the world the story takes place in and reading stories suggested to me in ASOIAF related threads so that I can write the story as well as it deserves to be written.

First of all, this sounds really awesome. Seriously, write it.

I'm writing a novel myself, but I don't know if I'm fit to give you advice...

Ah, what the hell. I will anyway. Sorry if I sound condescending or anything. I don't mean too...

So, I noticed you have quite a lot of backstory here. Now, is this going to upfront, common knowledge type of thing, are you going to have it slowly revealed to the characters, or is your prolouge going to cover it? Are the characters going to know all of it, or just the reader? I would suggest have the characters know it eventually, but have the readers know first. I say this because it is interesting to see characters react to events and revealations, and there is suspense for when characters will figure it out.

Secondly, since this is a sci-fi novel, you need to make sure to build your world/universe well, but not too well, not unrealisticlly. By that, I mean don't have your characters know basically every about this universe, whether its at the start, or at the end. Leave some mysteries. And make sure to balance world building and character development, as both are equally important.

I'm sorry if I gave useless advice ( and for my spelling and grammar). It's three o'clock in the morning here, and I really need to get to sleep soon...

Archived