Do think Dany dying at the end of ADWD would have been a better way for it to end?

total1402

I mean she sort of became the main character in AFFC n ADWD, being a mcguffin in the former and a central facet of the latter for all those characters. So theres sort of this assumption she is invincible. But like with Robb Stark shes shown as making all these mistakes and there is this feeling of creeping doom as she refuses to use the dragons; her only hope being if one or more of our characters manages to save her in time. Personally I think it would have been more dramatic if Dany had been killed at the pit or by the harpy; because it would still be a huge shock. A shocking downfall of this sort might have IMO made ADWD more meaningful and given a more poinient ending. I mean Ned and Robb made those mistakes and paid the price for them. Dany kind of has to as well and ending instead with a romantic riding Drogon scene and vision where she rethinks everything dues ex machina just doesn't feel like ASOIAF.

Yeah but if life isn't a song then why should ADWD end like one? However covered in shit and burned Dany might be it ends with a few bizzarely sentimental scenes.

Maybe Dany was setup to fail in the second book of Martins origional trilogy and Martin hasn't gotton round to that point yet?

Even a character with everything going for them and an apparent mega destiny which the plot seems to be circling like cogs in a wheel can fail. Part of the series was to break expectations. Killing Dany without her reaching Westeros is a good way to do that. Plus it would be a very tragic and poinient end. One which would have been built up during ADWD as we thought everyone like Vic, Tyrion and co were going to save her.

No, because that's a cocktease for 5 god damn novels. It would make her arc pointless.

This..

Also, to reply to what you said total1402. Yes, this is the approach Martin has to his books, but look, I don't think he intends on having characters in the book who are completely pointless to the story overall. If Dany would have died, we would have read about her for 5 books and then kill her off without her impacting Westeros even the slightest.

I mean; I guess it would work to kill Dany off, just to let us know what happened to the last Targaryen. But I think Martin has more plans than that for Dany.

Hell no, Martin is already doing too much to shock people at all costs with the blatant cliffhangers everywhere, fake deaths, resurrections and all that...

It's not like there aren't many characters who commit all kinds of blunders but survive - Tyrion, Jaime, Cersei, Theon, Victarion, Arianne, etc...

Say what?!?

Obviously the Meerenese Knot hampered Dany's arc in ADwD, but killing her off at the end of that book would have been pointless and rendered everything that had happened in her arc completely useless.

You cite Ned's and Robb's deaths, and while they were tragic, they successfully finished their arcs and moved the narrative forward. Ned was ultimately undone by his honor, of all things, and his execution pushed the Stark-Lannister hostilities past the point of no return. Robb also paid the price for an honorable mistake, and his murder wound down the War of the Five Kings and put the North into the hands of the Boltons (thus giving Stannis an antagonist to face). So unless the dragons developed sentience upon Dany's death and decided to rain fire upon the Usurper's Dogs in memory of their dead "mother," having Dany die in ADwD would have been beyond pointless.

Oh, and Dany -- along with Jon and Tyrion -- became the lead characters once Illyn Payne lopped off The Ned's head. While GRRM certainly isn't averse to killing off important characters, they usually get this little thing called resolution.

Or who knows, maybe Dany is being kept alive to further hammer home the point that slavery is apparently justified.

But Dany dying in this instance at the end of ADWD would have been better than if any of those characters did.

You seem to be the only person who thinks this. I'm sure even Apple would agree with the rest of us. Like others have said above, if it will get you to stop your fanfiction, author bashing threads, go ahead and kill Dany.

Archived