[BOOK SPOILERS] Who is the least accurately represented character in the series?

Blackfyre the Bold

Show Jon "grips" me just fine. :leer: Alls he needs to do is close his mouth. Thats it. Kit Harington's main issue isnt his own acting as much as the writing kind of fucking with him especially in Season 2.

I thought he did close his mouth in season 2. I was looking for it. LOL. He must have heard all the criticism after S1. I was disappointed with clueless oaf Jon in S2, but it was a writing issue, not an acting one. As I said in another thread, that one line he says in the S3 trailer gives me hope that he'll be more "Jon-like" this season.

The ones for me that really just don't even compare to the book characters

• Renly: The funny thing is I'm not even a big Renly fan, but in the books he still had this prescence - this tall, powerful, super handsome, black haired blue eyed charming guy. Show Renly is average height, scrawny, very average looking and a complete wuss. You don't get the sense of this guy who's confident to the point of arrogance, the characteristic that defined Renly in the books, and when he tried to pull of the snarky Renly lines in season 2 like "born amidst salt and smoke" it just came of as really weak and forced, and even Stephen Dillanes performance as Stannis in that scene was more "srsly bro?" than the fuming, tooth grinding Stannis we see in the books, because I mean honestly, how could I guy like that get under someones skin?
  • Asha: In my personal opinion, Asha Greyjoy is the hottest female character in the books - maybe not in terms of conventional beauty or charm, but just the combination of her personality with that sort of tough and unconventional sexy look shes described as having in the books. On the show the look is completely not there, and while the personality is there to an extent (her "cripple of the six year old" line was funny), she's still lacking in a certain charisma that she had in the books.
  • Jon Snow: This is the least grievous of my concerns, but for one thing, Jon is not a pretty boy, and for another thing...something abotu show Jon just doesnt grip me the way book Jon did. I think that's more to do with the fact that he's a very introspective character who isnt being properly portrayed in that sense on TV than anything to do with Kit Haringtons acting though. The show writing just makes him out to be a doofus when in the books hes not at all.

I have a lot of small things about everyone else, but honestly those are the only ones I really feel could benefit from a recasting.

This is just perfect. I agree with everything. I think Asha and Renly are the most egregious casting blunders of the series. I just don't get how either one got casted, considering they come across as nothing like they were in the books. I had actually watched the series first, and could not get over it when I read about Renly in the books. I was like really, this is the big strong really handsome Robert look-alike that unites all the small folk behind him?

And I had this impression of Asha as being really hot and spunky attitude wise, and I just don't see it at all with show Asha. She's relatively boring imo.

Jon wasn't a great casting but it's not nearly as egregious as those 2.

I'll also point out the Hound. In the books he's this mess of blubbering rage, almost slightly unhinged. In the show, he's so calm and melancholy almost, I don't see the same character at all.

Theon and Asha arent pretty and black haired though I do prefer Theon from the show.

Daario is just plain wrong.

I sometimes ship Jon & Asha, but the show & Yara cured me of that. I can't imagine them hooking those two up.

I'm very scared I'm going to like Daario on the show. The guy is hot, and he lacks the gold tooth & blue hair. I might have to put a little blue forked goatee on the tv to follow him around!

Hahaha agree about Jorah. It sucks because i DONT like Jorah in the books. Show Jorah is just a smooth mofo. He does this sad puppy face and i forget i want to punch the character. Dammit!

I know I'm going to be sad when Dany sends Jorah away, I'll miss seeing Iian Glen!

Let's see... There' are so many:

Renly and Loras are just not what I imagined them.

Lancel with his stupid wig and limp face. How is he meant to resemble NCW enough to act as his sexual surrogate in Cersie's mind?

Mellisandre, bears no resemblance to her description in the books.

I haven't seen them in the roles yet, but both actors cast to play show Mance and show Ramsay give me pause.

LOL, win.

Sandor Clegane is quite wubbified for the show. More noble and less anger. Also less creepy towards Sansa, but I am sure that is more for their age difference with Rory McCann being in his mid 40s and the character being in his late 20s.

What if Sandor returns in the books and Sansa ends up falling for him? If the actor is well into his 40s that will be creepy. :ack:

Ramsay hasn't even appeared in the show yet, he's only been mentioned, how can we apply a judgement like this yet?

I guess I should have been more specific and meant "the character of Theon's close advisor who eventually betrays him".

It is true that this is not exactly Ramsay in the TV series, but that is what I was thinking of.

Jon is definitely one of the most notable ones for me, if only because he looks nothing like he should and ends up acting nothing like he should. The ironic thing is that I think the actor that plays Bran right now would actually have made a perfect Jon if they'd gone with canon ages and started GOT right now.

Renly really, really bothers me too. I wish they'd kept truer to the books personality. The changes made to Catelyn's character don't sit well with me either. She's so much more savvy in the books and it kills me to watch them give her ideas to Robb and Ned.

Roose Boltons look was a major disappointment for me. I dont even know if they described him as having long, black hair but I always pictured him like that. He was barely in season 2 and hope the actor can nail the creepiness Roose brings.

As many others have said, they basically ruined Renly's character.

OP- I thought Mark Addy was brilliant as Robert besides his height. He nailed everything perfectly.

Roose - In the show he just comes across as a schemer of dubious loyalty which is all well and good but there is no trace of the sinister creepiness that pervades his entire presence in the books.

Sallador Saan and Xaro Xoan Daxos - I'm all good with changing character's looks to fit with the right actor, but come on. Just add Jalabhar Xho is you're so desperate to have black guy for diversity's sake.

But my vote for the least accurately represented is Renly Baratheon, every aspect of his character was dropped in order to make him a rather stereotypical effeminate gay man. I can only assume that like with Salldor and Xaro,this was done for the sake of diversity.

For me, it was Robert Baratheon. In the books you read of this great warrior, huge and intimidating; 6ft 5inches and towering over lesser men. Even after years as king, eating well and drinking himself silly.

And then you watch the first episode of the series and he's played by fucking Fred Flintstone!

Honorable mention: Catelyn Stark. No offense to the actress but she's supposed to be prettier. She looks old.

Well to be fair if Mark Addy was 6,6 he would have been Robert Baratheon. It does make it a bit difficult to believe that Robert was a beast of a man.

Roose - In the show he just comes across as a schemer of dubious loyalty which is all well and good but there is no trace of the sinister creepiness that pervades his entire presence in the books.

Sallador Saan and Xaro Xoan Daxos - I'm all good with changing character's looks to fit with the right actor, but come on. Just add Jalabhar Xho is you're so desperate to have black guy for diversity's sake.

But my vote for the least accurately represented is Renly Baratheon, every aspect of his character was dropped in order to make him a rather stereotypical effeminate gay man. I can only assume that like with Salldor and Xaro,this was done for the sake of diversity.

Are you saying Sallador is black on the TV show? :lol:

Margarey is much old than in the books. Why not Sarah Bolger? She wouldnt need to take her clothes off, that was not needed. I may be singing a different tune about that if I had not seen Natalie Dormer in the Tudors but for now I stand by it.

RenlyIsNotRight nailed it with Renly and Asha. The appearances of the actors generally don't bother me (e.g., Jorah and Tyrion being more handsome on the show, Robert being too short, etc.), because they get the essence of the characters right. However, Renly and Asha miss on personality and appearance. It's probably because I was in the Navy, but it really bugs me that Asha doesn't look like she's even spent a week on the deck of ship, much less her entire adult life. Shame on the makeup department for having her look soft and girly, rather than wind blown and weathered.

What I am really keen on seeing for accuracy is Roose saying "Jaime Lannister sends his regards"

If this is delivered in ultimate deadpan, not villainous but just a passing remark, then I will consider it utter accuracy - so far I feel Roose has been a tad tempestuous in the show

Archived