Best/Worst Named Characters

Rhymes with Chic

Greyjoy names bothered me because i was pronouncing them Bay-lon and Vick-tay-ree-on, but I've switched to Bah-lin and Vick-tah-ree-in which sounds awesome (especially if you say Greyjoy in a thick scottish accent with a rolled "r", which I do [i'm not scottish, its just something about the names in ASOIAF to me demand pronunciation in scottish or irish accents]). But Euron remains Your-on, for obvious reasons.

Worst named character by a character: Griff

'"Griff is it?" The dwarf sniggered. "You should thank the gods that Varys the Spider is part of this plot of yours. Griff would not have fooled the cockless wonder for an instant, no more than it did me."'

Seriously, I'm amazed somebody didn't tell him to come up with something better.

I am surprised that no one else yet posted "Damphair" as among the worst ... for me, the worst, even worse than the Slavers, Meeranese, whatever they are with the unpronounceable and to my brain indistinguishable monikers ....I mean, "Damphair"???????????? "Damp" - has to be one of the most unappealing words in the English language. But then, I don't like any of the Iron Islanders or any of their names, other than "Theon" which is merely OK.

Argh, I actually intended to put him up there as well and in between starting the post and finishing it I somehow forgot. But yeah, Damphair is lame, I think that Aeron's actually not that much better either

ETA: I'm actually one of the idiots who didn't realise it was Damp-hair until after I'd finished the series, so one thing I can say for it is that Damp-hair beats the "Damfair" pronunciation I was originally using

Kienn wrote:

The real problem with Jaime and Tyrion's names is that Tywin wouldn't have given his monstrosity of a second son the family T and his first son a random J.

Yeah, it would've made a lot more sense if Cersei's name started with a "T" -- "Hey, Joanna, since they're twins, let's name them with your first letter AND mine!"

Besides I don't see why Cersei,Tyrion and Jaime sounds any stranger than Arya, Sansa, Rickon and Robb, Stannis, Renly and Robert or Wilias, Garlan, Loras and Margaery.

Robb, homage to Ned's BFF Robert Baratheon

Sansa, a music term

Arya, a music term

Brandon, a Stark family name

Rickon, derived from a Stark family name.

Robert, Stannis and Renly are a bit of a lopsided sibset, with Robert prosaic, Stannis hipster Polish chic, and Renly just... right.

Wilias, Garlan, Loras and Margaery feels like a perfectly balanced sibset to me. You can tell these four people all came from the same naming team.

On the other hand, and here's what I was saying... in the Lannister family, all the leading men have a Ty- name or even a Lan- name. Then, out of left field, there's Jaime. Where on earth did "Jaime" come from?! Where's his Ty name, huh? Why did Tywin stand for this slight? Does Jaime mean "white cloak" in Valyrian and I just haven't read the Valyrian-English dictionary yet?

Worst named character by a character: Griff

'"Griff is it?" The dwarf sniggered. "You should thank the gods that Varys the Spider is part of this plot of yours. Griff would not have fooled the cockless wonder for an instant, no more than it did me."'

Seriously, I'm amazed somebody didn't tell him to come up with something better.

It works because nobody westerosi(he's in an enviorment whre very few speak westerosi) is is having uncontrolled acess to them

best sounding : Arya, Sansa, Eddard, Baratheon, Oberyn, Cersei, Visenya, Rickon, Pentos, Braavos,

not a fan of :

Barbrey (ugh),

Jojen (love the kid, the name grinds my gears),

Catelyn (the pronounciation is just off)

hate:

Aenys Targaryan (or Frey, whatever) .... I mean...I don't even know what to do with that ! Your King is called WHAT??!?!

also... for the LOVE of god (gods? trees?) how DO you pronounce "Euron"

Is it "Eu" as in Europe?

Or Eh-oo-ron ? (that's what he is in my head, it sounds better, and it's the only way I can visualize the cheesy eye patch... maybe he's wearing it for medicinal reasons? trying to correct crosseyedness?)

On the other hand, and here's what I was saying... in the Lannister family, all the leading men have a Ty- name or even a Lan- name. Then, out of left field, there's Jaime. Where on earth did "Jaime" come from?! Where's his Ty name, huh? Why did Tywin stand for this slight? Does Jaime mean "white cloak" in Valyrian and I just haven't read the Valyrian-English dictionary yet?

"All" is overselling it. Sure there's Tytos Tywin, Tyrion, Tygett and Tyrek, but there's also Kevan, Gerion, Willem and Martyn on the main branch, and Stafford, Daven, Lucion and Damion elsewhere in the family. Maybe Joanna just found the whole Ty- thing a bit tacky.

Dagmer Cleftjaw - you just wouldn't want to mess with someone named like that

I like the name Baratheon for a badass Royal House - it fits.

Many names are actually good: Lannister, Stark, Targaryen, Tyrion, Cersei, Daenerys, Victarion, Tommen, Podrik Payne,

The nicknames are glorious: Coldhands, the Blackfish, Whoresbane, Reek,

Many names are kinda average but I guess it reflects that many of us have names so common they become meh too: Robb, Bran, Robert,

Some place names are great: Skagos, Qarth, Sothoryos, Asshai, Braavos, Volantis, Valyria, Sunspear, Pyke, Highgarden, Winterfell, Last Hearth, Deepwood Motte, Moat Caitlin, the Dreadfort, Harrenhal, Dorne, ...

It must be very hard to have to come up with soooo many names (his fault: a lot of characters) and also so many place names, all made up.

Archived