Guess who knows where Tysha is . . .

nekrohsis

There's a theory that the Sailor's Wife, a prostitute in Braavos, is actually Tysha, as evidenced by her trick of wedding the men who bed her, her fluency in the Common Tongue, and her daughter, the golden-haired Lanna (for Lannister?) who is the right age to be Tyrion's daughter. Keep in mind, if her daughter is Tyrion's (she could have well been pregnant even before the gang-rape) the girl is Tyrion's legitimate heir and Tysha could very well have spent the coins Tywin gave her on the first ship away from Westeros.

But if this is true, who's to tell Tyrion? No one in his immediate circle of acquaintances at the end of ADWD would know . . . except . . .

Penny. She was performing in Braavos prior to Joffrey's wedding. Since she goes to Volantis after King's Landing, we can assume she's an experienced traveler. But since she's a poor foreigner, she might very likely have stayed at the same brothel--we know it's friendly to Westerosis, and judging by the way the whores treat Arya, it's probably a pretty safe place to stay--Penny's stayed in brothels before, as Littlefinger tells us.

Tyrion hasn't told her about Tysha--only Sansa. If he did spill the tale to her, might she point him towards Braavos?

Wow. I can definitely see it. Good read!

I have some objections about Tysha being the Sailor's Wife.The sailor wife story is all about still loving her lost husband.

Do you imagine Tysha still loves Tyrion after he participated to the gang rape ?

Of course she may have understood he was forced and lied to by his father, but it still strikes me as a little gross that she continues to love him.

I'd rather see Tyrion finding Tysha back only to discover she hates him more than anyone else.

love or no. i still hope that somehow, Tyrion can still see her.

To ask for forgiveness, or to say that he still thinks about her for all these years.

Ahhhh. well asoif is not a love story though. mayhaps Tysha's the one who will kill him. :)

While this is possible, I think it's far more likely that the Lannister she's tied to is Gerion Lannister. Given he's a sailor, and went off on an adventure and is never seen again.

:agree:, that is more likely for the Sailor's Wife.

I think that Penny could be Tysha's and Tyrion's daughter.

Do we know how old Penny is? Could it be that Penny and her brother Groat are actually Tyrion's children? They are dwarfish and named after COINS!

I like that. Maybe there are even twins. Lannister-style all the way.

Never thought about Tysha being the Sailor's Wife, but sounds like it could be true, and I like the idea.

But I think the best way would be if Tyrion never found her. Still, it would be cool if some other character, Arya for example, found out about it.

Excellent observation, however, you're missing the big item. LF knows Tyrion was legally married to Tysha which means Tyrion's marriage to Sansa is void. A voided Tyrion/Sansa marriage is the real diamond here not Tyrion finding Tysha.

how do we know that LF knows about Tyrion's marriage, and that it was never lawfully dissolved? I don't doubt you, just wondering where it says that, because I don't remember that.

Do we know how old Penny is? Could it be that Penny and her brother Groat are actually Tyrion's children? They are dwarfish and named after COINS!

I'm pretty sure Penny says that they took over the dwarf jousting from her parents who were also dwarves. Not got PDF copies to search though.

EDit: Not that I'm agreeing that TSW is Tysha and Lanna Tyrion's heir. No. I'm in the Gerion camp.

There's a theory that the Sailor's Wife, a prostitute in Braavos, is actually Tysha, as evidenced by her trick of wedding the men who bed her, her fluency in the Common Tongue, and her daughter, the golden-haired Lanna (for Lannister?) who is the right age to be Tyrion's daughter. Keep in mind, if her daughter is Tyrion's (she could have well been pregnant even before the gang-rape) the girl is Tyrion's legitimate heir and Tysha could very well have spent the coins Tywin gave her on the first ship away from Westeros.

But if this is true, who's to tell Tyrion? No one in his immediate circle of acquaintances at the end of ADWD would know . . . except . . .

Penny. She was performing in Braavos prior to Joffrey's wedding. Since she goes to Volantis after King's Landing, we can assume she's an experienced traveler. But since she's a poor foreigner, she might very likely have stayed at the same brothel--we know it's friendly to Westerosis, and judging by the way the whores treat Arya, it's probably a pretty safe place to stay--Penny's stayed in brothels before, as Littlefinger tells us.

Tyrion hasn't told her about Tysha--only Sansa. If he did spill the tale to her, might she point him towards Braavos?

That's an interesting theory that also justifies Penny's existence. So far, Penny has done nothing except mope around and make Tyrion look pathetic. I refuse to believe that GRRM has devoted so much space to a character who exists just to mop up our pity. Maybe this is the reason why she exists.

I imagine this exchange between Tyrion and Penny:

Tyrion: Tell me - where do the whores go?

Penny: I do...

so Tysh realized she wasn't going to ever put the Tyrion experience from her mind, and decided why not keep marrying everyone at work each day since the connection between marraige and banging strangers was now forever etched in her consciousness. By turning it into her gimmick, she... what?.... took control of the thing.... learned to swim through the sea of pain...... gained a unique neurosis. it really isn't just anyone who'd end up as the sailors' wife; you'd need a very particular background to have that obsession, and Tysha certainly qualifies. well, thanks nekrohsis. of course others have made this connection on here, but I'd forgotten about it, so you get credit since it was new-ish to me. (Whereas this other poster who just came up with the idea that Azor is really 3 people? Come on, I was saying that one myself like a week and a half ago! )

I think the Sailor's Wife probably is Tysha. May be Gerion's wife, but I'm leaning towards Tysha. As noted by Mother of the Others, the pattern of getting married and then "banging strangers" fits as a weird coping mechanism for the traumas Tysha suffered.

In regards to the mentioned reasons why Tysha wouldn't/couldn't have turned into the Sailor's Wife:

1) Physical improbablilty of having a child after being gang-raped is not something GRRM would take into account in the story. How do I know? Lolys. I'm sure that in real life gang-rape pretty much destroys the whole pelvic area, but that seems to be yet another liberty GRRM is taking with medical science.

2) Tyrion's sexual development as a dwarf being different from a regular-sized 13 year old is also something GRRM would not have taken into account when he was plotting the Tyrion/Tysha arc. He said in an interview that if he could go back and change anything about earlier books, it would be to make Tyrion's physical actions in book 1 more realistic to his condtion because, at the time, GRRM hadn't done that much research on dwarfism.

So while both of those qualms would be totally legit in real life, I don't think we need to consider them in this narrative.

Speaking of narratives, I also very much think that 1) Tyrion will meet Tysha/Sailor's Wife, and 2) it will not be cheesy or Lifetime-ish. I've been re-reading AFFC and DwD lately and I think that GRRM puts so much stress on both Tyrion and the Sailor's Wife's lack of closure about their situations that their arcs are almost guaranteed to interwine again in some way. Tyrion, of course, is haunted by the "where do whores go?" phrase. The Sailor's Wife, even after all these years, goes through her marriage-for-a-night routine and then goes off to pray during her indisposed time of the month. Even after all these years.

What I think will happen is roughly this: Tyrion, in Dany's retinue, lands in Pentosh and is referred to one of the better brothels, much as Cat of the Canals referred the sailors to SW's brothel in AFFC. He recognizes SW and/or she recognizes him. He feels like this should be such a huge moment, but they both realized that, as the fortuneteller said, "her love is dead." They're both so much older and have been shat on by life so much that whatever used to be between them is long, long gone. However, Tyrion being the selectively moral guy that he is decides that it's his duty to help her, so he gets her some situation with better prospects than a whorehouse. Maybe she's really pissed at him or tries to take advantage; that could be part of the story. Maybe he tries to help her but it backfires. I don't know, but I think he'll meet her and try to help. It won't be a warm fuzzy situation and far from a happy ending for Tyrion but somehow they'll both get some degree of the closure that they totally lack at present. (And btw, as much of a Tyrion fan as I am, I want this to happen more for her sake than his.)

In regards to Lanna, I think it's very possible she's Tyrion's daughter but impossible for anyone to know for sure. I think that will be explored. (Equally likely that a rapey Lanister guard is the father--in a Dorne chapter, Myrcella explains that lots of Lan-somethings around Casterly Rock and Lannisport have golden hair.) Nevertheless, I think Tyrion will try to help her as well.

Oh--and Penny was definitely kept in a King's Landing brothel, not a Pentos brothel, so there's no way she can be the reaveal-er. Also, given that Penny knows exactly who her parents were and was trained by her very alive, very not-Tyrion father, she can't be Tyrion's daughter.

In regards to the mentioned reasons why Tysha wouldn't/couldn't have turned into the Sailor's Wife:

1) Physical improbablilty of having a child after being gang-raped is not something GRRM would take into account in the story. How do I know? Lolys. I'm sure that in real life gang-rape pretty much destroys the whole pelvic area, but that seems to be yet another liberty GRRM is taking with medical science.

2) Tyrion's sexual development as a dwarf being different from a regular-sized 13 year old is also something GRRM would not have taken into account when he was plotting the Tyrion/Tysha arc. He said in an interview that if he could go back and change anything about earlier books, it would be to make Tyrion's physical actions in book 1 more realistic to his condtion because, at the time, GRRM hadn't done that much research on dwarfism.

Sorry, just realized these are actually arguments for why Lanna couldn't be Tyrion's daughter.

But...Tysh=SW. That's my story and I'm sticking with it. :-)

Archived