Will the Tyrells get caught for....SPOILERS...

John W

I don't think they planned to frame anyone, from the text it appears they were hoping it would appear to be a natural death....Margaery's mother even says, he just choked.

It appears to me that putting Sansa into the plot was LF doing since it was Dontos who was her contact, much before the Tyrells were going to kill Joff, Dontos who gives her the hairnet and tells her to wear it.

From what the QOT says to Sansa at the wedding, it appears they were somehow still hopeful of getting her to Highgarden.

I don't think really it will matter whether their involvement comes out or not because everyone hated Joff and the majority of the people who would have cared or been in a position to take revenge are dead except for Cersei.

I think Olenna may come to court if she hears that Sansa has been taken to KL to be held on trial for Joffrey's death. Olenna would likely confess when Sansa's death sentence has been declared or she is about to be executed. Cersei will then have Olenna executed on the spot, and put her head on a spike.

Then Cersei would probably just execute both of them.

They intended to frame Tyrion not Sansa, and after he was executed Sansa would be freed and still a maiden, able to be taken to HG and married to Willas.

Olenna may have killed Joffrey, but that was to protect her granddaughter. Olenna can be mean and sharp of tongue, but she isn't heartless. I don't think she would live the thought of an innocent girl being killed for a crime that she herself committed.

Olenna knows that Cersei still needs the Tyrells, and that she wouldn't kill any further members of her family, including Margaery since Cersei needs Margaery as a hostage after Tommen dies to ensure HG's loyalty.

Still I don't see how Olenna would get in troubles to protect a girl she hardly knew. Don't get me wrong. That's what a "decent" (a murderer with some morals) person would do, but I don't see Olenna as that. I think she is deeply amoral and only cares for her family. When they framed Tyrion they knew it was very likely for Cersei to blame his wife.

I don't think really it will matter whether their involvement comes out or not because everyone hated Joff and the majority of the people who would have cared or been in a position to take revenge are dead except for Cersei.

Indeed. It is a textbook example of tyrannicide and the Tyrells should be commended for doing Westeros a public service. :agree:

Then Cersei would probably just execute both of them.

Cersei wouldn't execute Margaery as she still needs her as a hostage to ensure the Tyrells' loyalty.

Still I don't see how Olenna would get in troubles to protect a girl she hardly knew. Don't get me wrong. That's what a "decent" (a murderer with some morals) person would do, but I don't see Olenna as that. I think she is deeply amoral and only cares for her family. When they framed Tyrion they knew it was very likely for Cersei to blame his wife.

Again Olenna isn't heartless. She wanted Sansa to be free to marry her grandson, Willas. I wouldn't call her amoral as she killed Joffrey to protect her granddaughter. Few people could stand by and watch an innocent girl be executed for their own crimes.

Again Olenna isn't heartless. She wanted Sansa to be free to marry her grandson, Willas. I wouldn't call her amoral as she killed Joffrey to protect her granddaughter. Few people could stand by and watch an innocent girl be executed for their own crimes.

Reminds me of the whole 'Is Jaime evil for pushing Bran to protect his family?' Olenna did the same thing for Margery,

Cersei is unhinged enough that she wants Margaery dead, the penalty for adultery as a queen is death, isn't it? So, she was setting Margaery up to be executed. She is too short sighted to understand about ensuring the Tyrell's loyalty or she would not have started alienating them as soon as her father died.

I'm sure Sansa being the heir to Winterfell while her brother was fighting a losing war had something to do with that also. Let's not pretend she was just looking out for poor little Sansa.

Reminds me of the whole 'Is Jaime evil for pushing Bran to protect his family?' Olenna did the same thing for Margery,

It ain't what you do, it is the one you are doing it to. Bran is a sweet and inocent child, and Joffrey was a monster.

I can't see LF implicating QoT unless he were in danger of being blamed himself, and I'm not sure how that would happen. The Lords in the Vale would like certainly like to get rid of him, but they've been too isolated from what's going on in KL to even have a clue about how he might be implicated as well. Tyrion would be the one to get to the bottom of it, should he ever make his way back to KL. Cercei would go after any of the Tyrells in a heartbeat, but

she's too self-centered and desperate at this point to have a clue. If Robert Strong wins for her, the Tyrells will be defeated anyway, so she'd have little reason to go digging for more reasons to go after them. If Robert Strong does not win, Cersei is done for, and I can't think of who else would even care. Tywin and even Kevin are gone.

Joffery wasnt the Tyrells guest, they were his guests. It makes them hostslayers, nobody hates hostslayers. If your stupid enough to invite them in, you deserve what they will do to you. Aerys/Tywin.

This is an interesting perspective considering Ned permitting Jamie into Winterfell he deserved to have Bran nearly murdered

but you are right it is host slaying my mistake.

I think the Tyrells are unfortunately doomed. I liked what I read on here where someone compared the Tyrell's to the Martells. Margery = Elia, Loras = Prince Lewyn, Garlan = Oberyn, Willas = Doran being the last one alive in his wheelchair plotting his revenge against possibly Stannis or Dany

I think the Tyrells are unfortunately doomed. I liked what I read on here where someone compared the Tyrell's to the Martells. Margery = Elia, Loras = Prince Lewyn, Garlan = Oberyn, Willas = Doran being the last one alive in his wheelchair plotting his revenge against possibly Stannis or Dany

Loras reminds me of Oberyn more. They are both hot tempered. But speaking of Martells, somehow I think that Myrcella and Tommen are another Rhaenys and Aegon.

• 3 months later...

I think, that Olenna is worse. She could have convinced Mace to refuse the offer for Margaerys hand and then Margaery would never have been in the situation.

They planned from the start to murder Joffrey, whereas Jaime pushing Bran out of the window was a spontaneous decision.

They intended to frame Tyrion not Sansa, and after he was executed Sansa would be freed and still a maiden, able to be taken to HG and married to Willas.

But they planned/told Sansa to leave the hairnet with her clothes on her bed or whatever.... That sounds to me like they wanted her busted more than Tyrion...

I think Olenna may come to court if she hears that Sansa has been taken to KL to be held on trial for Joffrey's death. Olenna would likely confess when Sansa's death sentence has been declared or she is about to be executed. Cersei will then have Olenna executed on the spot, and put her head on a spike.

Do you have a shred of evidence to back up your assertion that Olenna would sacrifice her life for Sansa? She did not care one bit for Sansa, thought she was stupid and then ignored her after the marriage to Tyrion. Olenna does not seem bothered one bit if innocent people die for her crimes. It's great that you like her, but she is not a very nice or honourable woman.

Well, the only proof may be the hairnet, but that was given to Sansa by Dontos, so, it's just words on the wind really.

It's possible that the hairnet amethysts aren't even poisoned. It would be incredibly stupid for the Tyrells to accept this plan from Littlefinger. More likely, Tyrells have their own poison and plan to blame Oberyn (they have two reasons : Oberyn is known for using poison plus he hates Lannisters) that they hate for making Willas a cripple.

Littlefinger wants to have Sansa and wants Tyrion to be executed : he offers the dwarfs show to upset Tyrion so he has a good reason to kill his nephew because he has been publicly humiliated. The hairnet was given to Sansa to make her feel implicated in Joffrey's death, so she thinks Littlefinger is the only one that can protect her and that the Tyrells wanted that she got the blame.

That's not how I read Olenna's character. She'd never put her life (or her family's prestige) on the line to save Sansa. Edit, I see that Mr. Underhill has already commented. I agree entirely.

I doubt Olenna would confess to save Sansa. Especially since that would throw possible suspicion on Margaery as well.

I for one don't think that people will find out who actually poisoned Joffrey. I think Sansa and Tyrion will probably take the blame for it, but since Joffrey wasn't really a "king" (just a queen's bastard), they'll probably be forgiven for their "crime" in the end.

But they planned/told Sansa to leave the hairnet with her clothes on her bed or whatever.... That sounds to me like they wanted her busted more than Tyrion...

I thought she had the hairnet with her when she left? When did the Tyrells tell her to leave the hairnet?

If Olenna confessed to killing Joffrey, it would be the Rains of Castamere for House Tyrell. Olenna is well aware Cersei despises her and her family. Who says she even likes Sansa?

I think the truth will come out about Joffrey's death but by then it will be a bit too late for justice. Sort of like how Littlefinger confessed to Lysa his true feelings... right before he pushed her out of the moon door.

Archived