Steady Ratings for Game of Thrones

Westeros

Jamie doesn't really fight the bear. The archers kill the bear IRCC.

It will be interesting to see whether they go for that, or if Jaime throws Brienne a real sword and she takes care of business by her baddass self.

I still don't understand how the ratings keep rising though, people jumping in the middle of things would be horribly, incredibly lost. Sure its well-acted, well-directed, and well-written (well, not so much this last one), but surely having at least some grasp of what's going on has to count for something? But it can't all be people who are now-tuning in live after catching up on all previous episodes and/or pirates who've grown to appreciate the show so much that they're willing to pay for it, can it?

From what I've read in the past, about 75% of the average tv show's audience is comprised of casual viewers who don't watch every episode. It's rarely reported because it hurts the image those in the business are trying to present, but here's one report on it from 3 years ago. Of the 10 top-rated shows, Survivor ranked #1 in loyalty with its viewers watching an average of 34% of its episodes, and that's over a live + 7-day period. Here's a post from 5 years ago by a very reliable insider:

"the ratings are for the number of people who are watching the average minute of a TV show. That includes people who only flip in for a few minutes, as well as people who watch the average show. If they did ratings based on the number of people who watched the entire show, they would be much smaller.

TV Loyalty studies by Nielsen have shown that it is a minority of all the people who tune into a TV show watch every episode. 25-30% is a typical percentage of people who watch 4 out of 4 episodes.

This is the main reason ratings fluctuate week to week. Ratings don't go up or down based on loyal viewers. They go up and down based on the comings and goings of many casual viewers.

The lack of loyalty is the main reason networks insist on those "Previously on..." summaries at the beginning of episodes that are arc-driven."

Game of Thrones surely has a far higher concentration of loyal viewers than most shows, but I'd still be surprised if even half its live + same day audience is watching every episode, let alone every minute of each one.

Also some of the new viewers could be people who watched seasons 1 and 2 on DVD/Blu-Ray, then bought HBO and watched the previous episodes of season 3 during the week.

Or watched it from one of a myriad possible sources that didn't used to exist before the internets.

Or watched it from one of a myriad possible sources that didn't used to exist before the internets.

Well that too but I didn't want to mention it.

Anyway, if episode 7 breaks the record again, the next thread should be called The Bear and the Ratings Fair, or something like that.

LOL well I was just got added to the millions!! I am a big Walking Dead fan and a good friend of mine told me to give GOT a try. I decided just this monday to start from season 1 (thanks to xfinity) and watched every episode in 2 days (watched the s3 episodes on the 3rd day) and I FELL IN LOVE!!! It took me a long time (till season 2) to get used to the characters (who is who) and all the names but after i got it down (and didnt need to reference the internet) I trully grew to enjoy this show tremendosly!! I may even have to admit I like it more then TWD lol

From what I've read in the past, about 75% of the average tv show's audience is comprised of casual viewers who don't watch every episode. It's rarely reported because it hurts the image those in the business are trying to present, but here's one report on it from 3 years ago. Of the 10 top-rated shows, Survivor ranked #1 in loyalty with its viewers watching an average of 34% of its episodes, and that's over a live + 7-day period. Here's a post from 5 years ago by a very reliable insider:

Game of Thrones surely has a far higher concentration of loyal viewers than most shows, but I'd still be surprised if even half its live + same day audience is watching every episode, let alone every minute of each one.

The two articles you listed concern broadcast network procedural series, sports, and reality programming... Which, essentially, have nothing to do with HBO or any other premium or basic cable network. Your hypothesis that half of the initial airing audience hasn't seen every episode is supported by zero facts, and doesn't really make any sense. Serialized cable dramas are consumed in such a different way than the types of shows referenced in those articles, that I'm not even sure where you find a correlating thread between them.

The overall numbers for Game of Thrones have always been much higher than the reported numbers for the initial airings, and this increase in viewers is likely a combination of two things: 1.) More of the "original" audience is watching the show on Sunday nights, rather than catching up some time throughout the week when the show is repeated, or through OnDemand services and HBO Go. 2.) The overall audience for the show has increased as a result of the series finding new viewers through a variety of avenues, including the DVD's and Blu-Ray's (which are among the highest and fastest selling in HBO history), watching the show through illegal means (Game of Thrones has been the most pirated show in the world two years in a row, and yet the ratings show an almost continual increase... Hmm...), and general word-of-mouth.

I personally know a lot of people who have caught up with the show, and are tuning in live for the first time this season. I know a lot more people who are working their way through the series right now in order to catch up, as well. None of them (as far as I know) have skipped an episode, nor would they want to, and nor would it make sense for them to do so. Broadcast shows generally have 20+ episodes a season, go on hiatus regularly, and are difficult to catch up with during the time a season is airing (by design, as advertisers want as many people watching live as possible), in addition to being much (much) less serialized than nearly every prominent cable drama. Not an apt comparison. At all.

The two articles you listed concern broadcast network procedural series, sports, and reality programming... Which, essentially, have nothing to do with HBO or any other premium or basic cable network. Your hypothesis that half of the initial airing audience hasn't seen every episode is supported by zero facts, and doesn't really make any sense. Serialized cable dramas are consumed in such a different way than the types of shows referenced in those articles, that I'm not even sure where you find a correlating thread between them.

The overall numbers for Game of Thrones have always been much higher than the reported numbers for the initial airings, and this increase in viewers is likely a combination of two things: 1.) More of the "original" audience is watching the show on Sunday nights, rather than catching up some time throughout the week when the show is repeated, or through OnDemand services and HBO Go. 2.) The overall audience for the show has increased as a result of the series finding new viewers through a variety of avenues, including the DVD's and Blu-Ray's (which are among the highest and fastest selling in HBO history), watching the show through illegal means (Game of Thrones has been the most pirated show in the world two years in a row, and yet the ratings show an almost continual increase... Hmm...), and general word-of-mouth.

I personally know a lot of people who have caught up with the show, and are tuning in live for the first time this season. I know a lot more people who are working their way through the series right now in order to catch up, as well. None of them (as far as I know) have skipped an episode, nor would they want to, and nor would it make sense for them to do so. Broadcast shows generally have 20+ episodes a season, go on hiatus regularly, and are difficult to catch up with during the time a season is airing (by design, as advertisers want as many people watching live as possible), in addition to being much (much) less serialized than nearly every prominent cable drama. Not an apt comparison. At all.

This. Everyone I know who has joined GoT late, has started from S1E1 and done what they needed to catch up. I don't know anyone who skipped an episode. That wouldn't make any sense.

The two articles you listed concern broadcast network procedural series, sports, and reality programming... Which, essentially, have nothing to do with HBO or any other premium or basic cable network.

No, the second source I linked to was conversing about a sci-fi cable tv show and referring to the average of the entire tv landscape. Channel surfers and casual viewers watch tv of all kinds, so the figures are somewhat related. Game of Thrones being on premium cable, along with its serialized nature, is one of the reasons I said it surely has a far higher concentration of loyal viewers than most shows, but it's still using the same ratings system that estimates viewing of the average minute, not the entire episode. That's why I'd be surprised if half its live + same-day average minute audience has been watching every minute of every episode so far, but maybe the real data would surprise me.

As for your anecdotal evidence, it's unscientific and not applicable to a discussion about the viewing attitudes of millions.

No, the second source I linked to was conversing about a sci-fi cable tv show and referring to the average of the entire tv landscape. Channel surfers and casual viewers watch tv of all kinds, so the figures are somewhat related. Game of Thrones being on premium cable, along with its serialized nature, is one of the reasons I said it surely has a far higher concentration of loyal viewers than most shows, but it's still using the same ratings system that estimates viewing of the average minute, not the entire episode. That's why I'd be surprised if half its live + same-day average minute audience has been watching every minute of every episode so far, but maybe the real data would surprise me.

As for your anecdotal evidence, it's unscientific and not applicable to a discussion about the viewing attitudes of millions.

No. Just no. The Nielsen TV ratings system is so out of date, and so ineffective at doing the only thing it is set up to do, it's a wonder that any of the networks use that data for anything other than a good laugh. So anyone using it (or associated research) to prove a point is... Well... Regardless, your initial point still makes no sense. There is no evidence, whatsoever, that points to your conclusion. My anecdotal "evidence" was simply illustrating that viewers can find the show in any number of ways, and at any time. The increased ratings support that claim. The increased ratings do not signify that people are just deciding to tune in, continuity be damned. You can shore up the holes in your logic all you like by adding the "watching every minute of every episode" addendum, but there is nothing you can use to back up the claim that "half" (HALF!) of the audience isn't completely caught up with the show. Anecdotal "evidence" may be "unscientific", but common sense should prevail here: It makes no sense to assume that the increase in ratings is related - in any way - to viewers who are tuning in to that episode cold. None. In fact, through all the discussion I've seen on the Internet (message boards; reviews and their comments sections; YouTube, etc.), I don't know that I've come across one person who watched the show that wasn't caught up completely or starting at the beginning to catch up.

Also, second your "source" is an Internet message board...

No. Just no. The Nielsen TV ratings system is so out of date, and so ineffective at doing the only thing it is set up to do, it's a wonder that any of the networks use that data for anything other than a good laugh. So anyone using it (or associated research) to prove a point is...

You used some of it in your previous post. I have a lot of skepticism about Nielsen (including the fact that they hide margin of error data from the public), but if you don't consider their data to be worth anything other than a good laugh, then it's nonsensical to be debating what percentage of their "laughable" figures comprise loyal viewers. I will continue trusting Nielsen over anecdotal evidence. Have yet to find someone on the internet cite anecdotal evidence that didn't agree with them.

The increased ratings do not signify that people are just deciding to tune in, continuity be damned. You can shore up the holes in your logic all you like by adding the "watching every minute of every episode" addendum

It's not an "addendum," it has been central to my point from the start. The fact that ratings include people who aren't watching an entire episode already signifies that people do decide to "tune in, continuity be damned," and it seems very likely that as the series garners more buzz and acclaim, it will attract the interest of more channel surfers and casual viewers. The question is in what percentages, and to answer that we need more evidence.

but there is nothing you can use to back up the claim that "half" (HALF!) of the audience isn't completely caught up with the show. Anecdotal "evidence" may be "unscientific", but common sense should prevail here: It makes no sense to assume that the increase in ratings is related - in any way - to viewers who are tuning in to that episode cold.

I made no such claim or assumption. I speculated based on Nielsen studies of viewing habits and how their ratings are calculated.

As to the further anecdotal evidence you've posted, it's again not applicable to a discussion about general audiences. People who are discussing Game of Thrones on message boards and writing reviews are of course going to be more loyal than the average minute viewers.

Also, second your "source" is an Internet message board...

That second source has a great track record over 15 years of providing insider Nielsen data on message boards.

So, let me get this straight: Your assumption is that at least half of the viewing audience of this show hasn't watched the entire series, and on the off chance the they do decide to tune in for an episode, they usually don't even watch the entire episode? How do you figure? The links you provided have no bearing whatsoever on the point you're trying to make here. So where is this assumption coming from? Because, honestly, you're simply making an illogical assumption. You have zero facts to back up your claims, as they concern serialized television shows. When it comes to sports, reality television, and procedural shows (including sitcoms), I'm sure there is a very good chance that a good portion of the audience hasn't caught every episode. When it comes to a heavily serialized drama on a network that doesn't adhere to any of the standards the links you provided pertain to, and is known to have a more affluent audience, I'm not sure how one could make that assumption. I'm guessing you also believe that a good majority of the people who caught up by watching the show on home video just decided to skip an episode here or there, and that regular casual viewers routinely turn the show off half way through an episode... And I'm guessing you also believe that the average person doesn't have the common sense to watch a show in the correct order (perhaps they'll watch an episode out of order before deciding to watch the show in sequence, sure, but to think that that accounts for any significant number of the viewers is more than stretching it)... Right? Because that makes sense. Except it doesn't. Cable channels - particularly premium cable channels - don't operate in any way like the broadcast networks referenced in the links you provided. Furthermore, the viewing statistics of shows like America's Funniest Home Videos, Wife Swap, Hell's Kitchen, 60 Minutes, etc. offer a terrible comparison to how viewers consume shows like Mad Men, Breaking Bad, Boardwalk Empire, etc.

As I've already stated, Game of Thrones being on premium cable, along with its serialized nature, is one of the reasons I said it surely has a far higher concentration of loyal viewers than most shows.

I also clearly stated in my last post that I never made the claim or assumption you attributed to me, but rather I was speculating based on the evidence available. You completely ignore this and proceed to make the same false attributions five more times in your reply. And that is where I stop giving you any more words to distort.

As I've already stated, Game of Thrones being on premium cable, along with its serialized nature, is one of the reasons I said it surely has a far higher concentration of loyal viewers than most shows.

I also clearly stated in my last post that I never made the claim or assumption you attributed to me, but rather I was speculating based on the evidence available. You completely ignore this and proceed to make the same false attributions five more times in your reply. And that is where I stop giving you any more words to distort.

No, you clearly stated that you believe half of the audience for this show hasn't seen every episode. I think that's ludicrous. I'm fine no longer having this discussion, though, so we can agree on that at least.

No, you clearly stated that you believe half of the audience for this show hasn't seen every episode.

A belief is different from a claim or an assumption, but if any of your misattributions were true, it would be easy for you to post the quote. You can't because it never existed. And since you continue insisting on blatantly distorting my posts, you're now on ignore.

You were speculating on no available evidence, because there is no available evidence. That has been my point from the beginning. You're essentially making up viewing figures, which happen to be contrary to a little thing called common sense. Not even close to half of the viewing audience for this show is just tuning in randomly every week, and to use an outdated article that has no polling metrics available (not to mention the fact that the data therein isn't comparable with a serialized cable drama) and a message board forum is... Well, it's whatever it is, but that doesn't make your point any less nonsensical. Ignore away.

Archived