Steady Ratings for Game of Thrones

Westeros

Via James Hibberd at EW, it looks like “Dark Wings, Dark Words” has managed the feat of becoming the second most-viewed episode of the series to date, with its ratings dropping very little from last week’s highly-rated opening. Really steady numbers such as these are a pretty good sign for the show, it goes without saying.

Visit the Site!

What do people feel are the chances that an episode this season tops 5 million on the initial airing?

5 million? I'm not really sure about that. The small growth between season 2 and 3 was originally thought to be heavily influenced by the easter holidays and the walking dead season final. But now that the numbers for episode 2 are published it looks like the growth inbetween season 2 and 3 was really not that significant. For me it looks like the series finally peaked and I don't think that the numbers for the initial broadcast will rise much more during the season.

5 million? I'm not really sure about that.

You probably are right that 5m is optimistic but saying it has peaked seems to be rather pessimistic. It definitely would have hit higher ratings if it wasn't for Walking Dead. The reasonably high ratings for the later showings of E1 highlight that. And last season there was a dip for E2 also.

Getting higher ratings really depends on how big a head of steam the season picks up. Shows peak because they don't excite in the same way anymore. GoT has enough in S3 to raise interest further if they get it to work. And getting it to work is the challenging part. :)

5 million? I'm not really sure about that . . .

You probably are right that 5m is optimistic but saying it has peaked seems to be rather pessimistic . . .

I don't think the 5 million figure is terribly optimistic. Season 2 premiered at 3.9 million and finished at 4.2 million (the season finale), despite going as low as 3.4 million for one episode (surprisingly, "Blackwater"). It also had the same drop-off figure for its second episode as this season, roughly 100,000 less than the premier. And taken as a whole, the average episode last season was in the 3.7-3.9 million range, so we look to be seeing at least an increase of half a million viewers between this season and the last.

I grant that the season finale last year was something of an anomaly, probably directly related to the fact that people wanted to see what happened after "Blackwater." I imagine this season will have the same effect though (perhaps even a greater one), given what episode 9 is likely to entail.

Also, shouldn't we at least be hopeful that more people become invested in the show during the season when it is showcasing what is widely regarded as the best book in the series? If nothing else, this season should be significantly better than the last because of the source material.

LOL well I was just got added to the millions!! I am a big Walking Dead fan and a good friend of mine told me to give GOT a try. I decided just this monday to start from season 1 (thanks to xfinity) and watched every episode in 2 days (watched the s3 episodes on the 3rd day) and I FELL IN LOVE!!! It took me a long time (till season 2) to get used to the characters (who is who) and all the names but after i got it down (and didnt need to reference the internet) I trully grew to enjoy this show tremendosly!! I may even have to admit I like it more then TWD lol

LOL well I was just got added to the millions!! I am a big Walking Dead fan and a good friend of mine told me to give GOT a try. I decided just this monday to start from season 1 (thanks to xfinity) and watched every episode in 2 days (watched the s3 episodes on the 3rd day) and I FELL IN LOVE!!! It took me a long time (till season 2) to get used to the characters (who is who) and all the names but after i got it down (and didnt need to reference the internet) I trully grew to enjoy this show tremendosly!! I may even have to admit I like it more then TWD lol

It's the opposite of me. I watched the first 2 seasons of GoT in 3 days last summer, and have been watching TWD for the last 6 days with an average of 6 episodes per day. Still a few episodes left. I also recommend you, and everyone else who has the time, to read the books (ASOIAF books). You lose a lot of detail in the TV show. It also changes some things so it's not boring to read the books you've already seen in TV.

Well, looks like the series only needed one week to make my comments look totally wrong. Episode 23 got 4,724 million viewers, which is obviously a new record, by far.

Edit: it looks like the second screening of the episode was aired an hour later than usual (11pm instead of 10pm). This would explain why more viewers moved to the first screening. Still a very good number, of course, but the total number of viewers is still slightly behind the total number of episode 21.

Link: http://insidetv.ew.c...-third-episode/

Well, looks like the series only needed one week to make my comments look totally wrong. Episode 23 got 4,724 million viewers, which is obviously a new record, by far.

Edit: it looks like the second screening of the episode was aired an hour later than usual (11pm instead of 10pm). This would explain why more viewers moved to the first screening. Still a very good number, of course, but the total number of viewers is still slightly behind the total number of episode 21.

I think the first two episodes of this season had three showings. I believe two showings is more normal based on past seasons.

Seems like 5 million could definitely happen by the end of the season. If not it will be just shy.

I believe the first two episodes had three viewings. I would guess that two showings is more normal based on past seasons.

Yeah. I'm pretty sure the only reason there were three viewings for the first two episodes was because the new season of VEEP hadn't started yet. 10pm and 10:30pm on Sunday are usually when HBO shows new episodes of half-hour comedies.

What do people feel are the chances that an episode this season tops 5 million on the initial airing?

I'm hoping the episode after the Red Wedding gets there.

Well, that'll be on Memorial Day Sunday night, maybe after the Liberace (ugh) special. So airing at 10 instead of 9? I don't know. Maybe it'll air at 8:00.

@ bill g

GoT is taking that week off.

If they are taking that week off it's only 'officially' because of the Holiday or Liberace (original movies typically debut on Saturday night on HBO). What it really means is that HBO is planning a two week full court media blitz with the entire cast and creators to drum up interest in the "biggest episode of Game of Thrones Ever!"

They're not shooting for five million for episode nine, they're aiming at six.

And people were saying I was being overly optimistic about the possibility of 5 million on initial airing. Given the numbers for last Sunday's show (4.7 million) and what happened to Jaime's right hand at the end of that show, we might see 5 million on initial airing this coming Sunday.

If they are taking that week off it's only 'officially' because of the Holiday or Liberace (original movies typically debut on Saturday night on HBO). What it really means is that HBO is planning a two week full court media blitz with the entire cast and creators to drum up interest in the "biggest episode of Game of Thrones Ever!"

They're not shooting for five million for episode nine, they're aiming at six.

Blackwater was on that Sunday last year and had, by far, the worst ratings of the season. It was also, by far, the best episode of the season. I think HBO learned their lesson and will avoid Memorial Day weekend episodes from now on.

Blackwater was on that Sunday last year and had, by far, the worst ratings of the season. It was also, by far, the best episode of the season. I think HBO learned their lesson and will avoid Memorial Day weekend episodes from now on.

Actually , only the initial ratings were given (that graph is still over at Wikipedia). No updates were ever given, due to re-shows after the first week. No non-North American rating are known for Blackwater. We don't know how word of mouth impacted DVD sales. So the real rating numbers for S2E9 are unknown, as far as I know.

Archived