Steady Ratings for Game of Thrones

Westeros

Funny how expectations change. For Episode 1 of this season we would have been pleased as punch with 4.84 million.

Somne of the comments. Nothing's happening? Arya gets kidnapped by the Hound, taking her story in a whole new unexpected direction. Jaime saves Brienne, fundamentally changing the relationship between those 2 characters and giving Jaime his first tangeable moment of personal growth and change. We know Osha's very personal reason for never wanting to go back beyond the Wall. Some commenters think Dany is the only interesting part of the story. Actually in this episode it's Dany who does almost nothing and it's only the superficial dragon eye candy that distracts people from realising that dany merely sits on her arse making threats. We see some substantial cracks in Shae and Tyrion's relationship making both characters far less secure than they were 2 episodes ago. Talisa (ugh) is pregnant. Hells the whole world had a party when Princess Kate announced her pregnancy, The Queen in the north being pregnant is a big deal. I'm happy with the pace of all the story lines except...

I 100% blame the Theon and Ramsey scenes for giving the season as a whole a going nowhere fast vibe.

I was actully calculating average ratings for the seasons to date yesterday and - ironically - the average so far for Season 3 was 4.84 (so no change to my calculations necessary!).

___AVG____PEAK

S1_2.51____3.04

S2_3.79____4.20

S3_4.84____5.50

Surely it has to be a record that the peak audience for an episode of the previous season is massively beaten by the average audience for each episode of the following season? Even though I'm not sure it will be possible to average 5.5m (or more) for next season.

I was actully calculating average ratings for the seasons to date yesterday and - ironically - the average so far for Season 3 was 4.84 (so no change to my calculations necessary!).

___AVG____PEAK

S1_2.51____3.04

S2_3.79____4.20

S3_4.84____5.50

Surely it has to be a record that the peak audience for an episode of the previous season is massively beaten by the average audience for each episode of the following season? Even though I'm not sure it will be possible to average 5.5m (or more) for next season.

I have a feeling that S3 will either be the peak average, or S4 will be and the average will drop away a bit for subsequent seasons, settling somewhere between S2 and S2 averages until either the story finishes or the series it axed.

Funny how expectations change. For Episode 1 of this season we would have been pleased as punch with 4.84 million.

Somne of the comments. Nothing's happening? Arya gets kidnapped by the Hound, taking her story in a whole new unexpected direction. Jaime saves Brienne, fundamentally changing the relationship between those 2 characters and giving Jaime his first tangeable moment of personal growth and change. We know Osha's very personal reason for never wanting to go back beyond the Wall. Some commenters think Dany is the only interesting part of the story. Actually in this episode it's Dany who does almost nothing and it's only the superficial dragon eye candy that distracts people from realising that dany merely sits on her arse making threats. We see some substantial cracks in Shae and Tyrion's relationship making both characters far less secure than they were 2 episodes ago. Talisa (ugh) is pregnant. Hells the whole world had a party when Princess Kate announced her pregnancy, The Queen in the north being pregnant is a big deal. I'm happy with the pace of all the story lines except...

I 100% blame the Theon and Ramsey scenes for giving the season as a whole a going nowhere fast vibe.

I think those are good points.

Agree about Theon thread , it's elaboration, is a mistake on D&D's part. I like Alfie Allen and I don't mind filling in what George left off the page, but it's been a poor dramatic choice (and a time waster) to elaborate it this much.

I disagree about Dany , so far this story has been taken from the book (with even some improvement) , no the dragons don't seem eye candy, George made conscious decision to inject this fantasy element into the story , I buy it. Dany's obsession with being an absolutist has been given motivation (I don't think George ever gave a good motivation for her overt pursuit until the crucifixion of kids by Meereen, that's about as nasty as it gets!) So disagree about Dany's story, and yes I think it's been the best this season.

Here is , in my opinion, a problem. It started last season, and frankly George started it. It's gotten to be a 'flash drama'

a bunch (and I mean a bunch) of scenes and locations (all imbued with good characters and dialog) that in themselves seems streaks but as an integrated whole seems like a 'pile up'.

As a book reader I can keep it straight, even at that I always watch , in the same week, twice if not three times in order to sort things out, it's then that I usually revise my assessment up.

But I don't think most of the audience is doing this.

So D&D have a problem on their hands, trying to jam a 20 foot kitchen sink into a 5 foot kitchen.

So real creativity is needed with this material , because I think they have a problem.

Graph over on Wiki still shows Blackwater was the lowest rated show for season 2.

I don't believe that after word of mouth and even DVD sales that , that dip still stands.

They just never correct first week showings.

I don't see time history data is displayed anywhere.

Will probably drop again next week since this week wasn't very good either, but hopefully it picks up again after that (and Ep. 8's preview does look pretty awesome).

Graph over on Wiki still shows Blackwater was the lowest rated show for season 2.

I don't believe that after word of mouth and even DVD sales that , that dip still stands.

They just never correct first week showings.

I don't see time history data is displayed anywhere.

The reason that episode was the lowest rated of season 2 is because it aired over the Memorial Day weekend. Thankfully, HBO finally took the hint and is skipping that weekend this year.

The reason that episode was the lowest rated of season 2 is because it aired over the Memorial Day weekend. Thankfully, HBO finally took the hint and is skipping that weekend this year.

Yeah,but it aired a lot after Memorial Day ,that was after it was known what it was.

Will probably drop again next week since this week wasn't very good either, but hopefully it picks up again after that (and Ep. 8's preview does look pretty awesome).

That does seem to be the popular opinion, which suggests there may indeed be a drop. I did like the episode myself (for the reasons detailed by Anti-Targ), so its really interesting to see such a divergence in opinion. I was considerably more underwhelmed by E6 but even it grew on me when I re-watched it.

OTOH, I had seen the reviews for E7 before I saw it, so I had lower expectations.

The ratings in question are only for the initial airing.

I guess HBO keeps total season viewings, foreign ratings , total DVD sales (I don't mean the first week) other payed for viewings a dark secret. (Tho we do get some idea of pirating numbers!)

The only bottom line I know is that HBO was in Time-Warner's winners corner last fiscal report, financial news was that it in large part due to GOT.

• 2 weeks later...

Sunday 5/25 Cable Ratings: http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2013/05/29/sunday-cable-ratingsnba-playoffs-win-night-mermaids-the-new-evidence-behind-the-candelabra-mad-men-long-island-medium-north-america-more/184705/

- NBA Eastern Conference Finals Game 3 destroyed everything else with 7279/3.1 (would have been interesting to see it going head-to-head with Thrones...)

- Mermaids: New Evidence on Animal Planet was second with 3640/1.4 (seriously...?)

- Behind the Candelabra got 2392/0.7 (seems pretty weak to me, although I don't know what expectations are for such a thing...)

This Sunday there are no NBA playoff games scheduled so Thrones should rack up another easy ratings win.

Archived