Steady Ratings for Game of Thrones

Westeros

I believe we'll hit 6.0 at least, next weekend.

I think GoT did lose some viewers, though most of the reactions were just spur of the moment reactions and not too many are actually going to quit the show.

I do believe some of those will come back if they remember that Stannis said 3 names and one of those was Joffrey. They need to have some hope after this past episode. They will return to watch Season 3 episode 10 to see if anything happens to him. When they see that Balon likely dies, they'll be expecting Joffrey to die next. Then over the next 10 months, they will decide to come back to the TV show in March/April 2014, still hoping.

Also the Red Wedding surely had enough buzz to bring in some new viewers. They'll get caught up on the TV series this week in time to watch next week's episode. Surely some new book readers will be the result of the Red Wedding as well. Watchers will want to know what happens next after such a huge event. That's why I started reading the books after Blackwater. I had to see what happened next.

EDIT: There is one thing I just realized. The NBA finals will be on this coming Sunday night and it may take away some American viewers from the first airing of the episode.

I believe we'll hit 6.0 at least, next weekend.

I think GoT did lose some viewers, though most of the reactions were just spur of the moment reactions and not too many are actually going to quit the show.

I do believe some of those will come back if they remember that Stannis said 3 names and one of those was Joffrey. They need to have some hope after this past episode. They will return to watch Season 3 episode 10 to see if anything happens to him. When they see that Balon likely dies, they'll be expecting Joffrey to die next. Then over the next 10 months, they will decide to come back to the TV show in March/April 2014, still hoping.

Also the Red Wedding surely had enough buzz to bring in some new viewers. They'll get caught up on the TV series this week in time to watch next week's episode. Surely some new book readers will be the result of the Red Wedding as well. Watchers will want to know what happens next after such a huge event. That's why I started reading the books after Blackwater. I had to see what happened next.

I don't think 6 million viewers in out of reach for the finale during its initial airing, but I don't think new viewers will have any bearing on that number. Those people who haven't watched the show already will likely contribute to the numbers for the premiere next season, but all that needs to happen for the show to break 6 million viewers is for approximately 500,000 - 800,000 of the viewers who would normally DVR the show or watch it through HBO Go or OnDemand to watch the live airing. The total viewing numbers for the season, as per HBO, average out to 13.4 million viewers per episode. That includes all airing throughout the first week since the premiere of the episode, and all viewings through HBO Go and OnDemand services. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a significant number out of this audience who doesn't watch live to do so for the final episode of the season, considering how heavily The Rains of Castamere has been in the media outlets since Sunday (which will surely continue throughout the week). I don't think the ceiling has been reached yet, so I'm definitely expecting a series high for the finale (would have to beat 5.50 million viewers in the 9:00 P.M. time slot), and another series high for the premiere of season four.

The small number of viewers who did actually decide to stop watching the show... They'll be back.

Yeah I think a good number of the audience will still be smarting from E9, so they might take a wee while to come back to the show. But also a lot of the DVR and ondemand crowd might decide to tune in at 9PM. So I think E10 could exceed 5.5 million easy enough, but probably not 6 million.

Hopefully people will know after 3 seasons that E9 is the episode where if anything big is gonna happen it will happen then. I think for S4 we should hopefully get season high ratings in S4E9 in anticipation for a substantial event. We'll see I guess.

If events play out in E10 as expected, some distraught viewers will come back. After Ned's death in S1, we had dragons in E10. Some should remember that also. This E10 wouldn't be as cool as that but there should be enough in it to relieve some of the angst. A flicker of hope!

I am very curious to see what the ratings will be anyhow. The reaction was quite strong. :)

If events play out in E10 as expected, some distraught viewers will come back. After Ned's death in S1, we had dragons in E10. Some should remember that also. This E10 wouldn't be as cool as that but there should be enough in it to relieve some of the angst. A flicker of hope!

I am very curious to see what the ratings will be anyhow. The reaction was quite strong. :)

The reaction was stunning, Twitter was in an uproar for a solid day . .. folks are still talking about it all over the Internet. TV Platinum for HBO and Dave and Dan.

The uproar was like nothing I've ever seen from a television show - I received multiple texts from friends who I didn't even know watched the show they just knew I was very big into it .. my mom and my Aunt talked on the phone about it.. the guys at the car dealership I was test driving at yesterday were talking to me about it for like an hour.

Knee-jerk reactions of "I'm done with this" are just that although some viewers may be turned off by the nature of some of the violence or w/e so they may lose a few viewers next week - I'll go conservative though and say 5.8 million which would beat the record by quite a bit.. already have a lot of guys on a football/soccer forum I moderate say they can't not start watching this show now and are fast-tracking it.

Researcher: The average radio listener listens for eighteen minutes. The average Howard Stern fan listens for - are you ready for this? - an hour and twenty minutes.

Pig Vomit: How can that be?

Researcher: Answer most commonly given? "I want to see what he'll say next."

Pig Vomit: Okay, fine. But what about the people who hate Stern?

Researcher: Good point. The average Stern hater listens for two and a half hours a day.

Pig Vomit: But... if they hate him, why do they listen?

Researcher: Most common answer? "I want to see what he'll say next."

Same applies to Game of Thrones.

Researcher: The average radio listener listens for eighteen minutes. The average Howard Stern fan listens for - are you ready for this? - an hour and twenty minutes.

Pig Vomit: How can that be?

Researcher: Answer most commonly given? "I want to see what he'll say next."

Pig Vomit: Okay, fine. But what about the people who hate Stern?

Researcher: Good point. The average Stern hater listens for two and a half hours a day.

Pig Vomit: But... if they hate him, why do they listen?

Researcher: Most common answer? "I want to see what he'll say next."

Same applies to Game of Thrones.

LOL. Thank you for posting this.

I have always suspected that love and hate are two sides of the same coin and they both often lead people down the same road.

5.5 million seems pretty poor for a nation of 350 million. In the UK, a good show gets 7 million and we have a pop of 60 million. Is HBO too expensive for people or something?

Yes it is. Im in Canada, and you cant even order HBO as an individual channel. You have to subscribe to a "package" theat can cost upwards of $25-40 on top of what your satellite or cable bill already is. For that reason, the amount of viewers as per the ratings is very low, as most folks I know stream/download the show on Mondays once the torrent is up.

5.5 million seems pretty poor for a nation of 350 million. In the UK, a good show gets 7 million and we have a pop of 60 million. Is HBO too expensive for people or something?

It certainly isn't cheap (I use HBOGo since my parents have HBO but it's not something I really have the disposable income for over other things such as golf clubs, tattoos, etc since I pretty much always watch GoT with big groups of friends anyway - I don't watch a lot of TV) That's probably a big reason it's sets so many piracy records..

Do you have as much programming in the UK on a nightly basis? The networks here are flooded with reality shows that are huge (Survivor, all the singing/dancing contests, etc. - I know you guys have some of that & Big Brother) as well as cop dramas ad nauseam. So basically a big show like Dr. Who probably doesn't have as much competition at the same time slot as some US shows and it's on the main BBC station which most everyone gets.

I was pretty impressed that GoT was able to beat out The Walking Dead which airs on a standard cable channel which most would have and it's a pretty huge show albeit I got a bit redundant after the first few seasons for my taste.

5.5 is for the initial airing. Another ~1.5mil are estimated to watch the later showing, mostly US West-Coast viewers. If you count total views across all platforms per week it's 13.5 million last we heard.

There are an estimated 30-35million HBO subscribers, last I heard (a while ago though). So 13.5/35 is actually much better than 7/60.

The reach of the show is rather similar in the UK and the US.

In both countries the show airs on premium channels (HBO/Sky) and is seen by about 1-2 % of the total population (UK: 0.7/63 = 1.1 %, US: 4.9/316 = 1.6 %)

The reach of the show is rather similar in the UK and the US.

In both countries the show airs on premium channels (HBO/Sky) and is seen by about 1-2 % of the total population (UK: 0.7/63 = 1.1 %, US: 4.9/316 = 1.6 %)

Legally :D

Also: HBO tells us that about 13.5 million in the US watch an episode over the course of a week. So "is seen in its first airing" would be more accurate.

Australia had a combined 160k in its two major airings. Looks like we might still dominate the illegal downloading charts, then.

Although, I'd be interested to see the downloading from iTunes data. They're released about 12 hours after the US airing onto iTunes. And Game of Thrones is cosistently the big thing on iTunes:

http://s12.postimg.o...s_data.jpg

Also: http://s10.postimg.org/jzp97vl6h/itunes_data_2.png

Archived