Did Catelyn abuse Jon for his whole life? - Part 2

David Selig

hasn't this been exhausted already? nothing productive came out of that thread, other than the fact that some people are A) so blindly pro-Jon Snow that anyone who didn't worship the ground he walked on is deemed to be a monster or B) and i'm not trying to be callous, but they have personal history with an abusive step parent and are projecting their own experience and feelings onto the character regardless of is there is actual textual evidence to suggest the nature of cat/jons relationship was actually comparable. Which is understandable, but since no one here is a bastard living within the established social parameters of Westeros, I don't see it as being comparable.

hasn't this been exhausted already? nothing productive came out of that thread, other than the fact that some people are A) so blindly pro-Jon Snow that anyone who didn't worship the ground he walked on is deemed to be a monster or B) and i'm not trying to be callous, but they have personal history with an abusive step parent and are projecting their own experience and feelings onto the character regardless of is there is actual textual evidence to suggest the nature of cat/jons relationship was actually comparable. Which is understandable, but since no one here is a bastard living within the established social parameters of Westeros, I don't see it as being comparable.

Dat arm-chair psychology.

Dat arm-chair psychology.

if you actually read the original post atleast one poster (one of the most vociferous of the "Cat's actions constitute abuse" camp) came right out and said that the reason they felt that cat was abusive to jon was because of that exact situation that I described, that they themselves suffered at the hands of an abusive/neglectful stepparent and identify with Jon Snow. Arm chair psychology it is not, i'm just connecting the dots.

I think that Ramsay got his ideas for torturing Theon from the rumours he heard about the things that Catelyn had done to Jon, when Ned was away from Winterfell.

She never called him Jon, because to her, he was "Reek."

Good catch.

"Jon remembered the long weeks he had spent in the dungeons of Winterfell, whenever Lord Stark was called away on business. On one occasion, in an extremity of hunger, he had caught and eaten a rat, only to punished for it by Lady Stark. "Bastard, the rats of Winterfell belong to my Lord Husband", she sneered. "Did he give you permission to eat one." She had taken a toe for that."

"Jon remembered the long weeks he had spent in the dungeons of Winterfell, whenever Lord Stark was called away on business. On one occasion, in an extremity of hunger, he had caught and eaten a rat, only to punished for it by Lady Stark. "Bastard, the rats of Winterfell belong to my Lord Husband", she sneered. "Did he give you permission to eat one." She had taken a toe for that."

bravo! the truth finally comes out!! :rofl:

There's literally no evidence to support the claims that she abused him. That goes against her character and everything she stands for. Catelyn gets a lot of haters, but this is just...dumb. There isn't even a hint of it in the books.

She might have been cold to him, but saying she abused him is taking it too far.

bravo! the truth finally comes out!! :rofl:

"As they rested in the cave after making love, Ygritte asked "Your back is a mass of scars. Why?". The bitter truth had to be told. "It was Lady Stark's work. She whipped and flayed me, whenever my father was away from Winterfell."

SeanF, are you a Bolton? I just picked my Bolton avatar because I like the sigil, but your posts seem to betray your Bolton heritage ;)

No, the character shes talking to isnt even in the books, the entire scene is new.

I know :P Probably easier to explain than how a house that is nominally a Lannister bannerman suddenly goes along with the King of the North. Probably same reasoning why Asha is Yara, and not Asha. Sorry, but that I feel is just a gesture towards the simpleminded people, who can't tell names with two different initial vowels apart.

Archived