Dexter: The Final Season

Commodore

I don't know what you people are going on about. The episode ends with Hannah and Harrison walking down the boulevard in Buenos Aries. There's nothing after that but a fade to black and then the credits.

Still a lot of lame stuff in the episode like his blatantly walking off with Deb's corpse, but the writers at least got it right that Dexter killing himself was the only appropriate way to go with his character, and wrap up his story.

I mean, this scenario of his showing up as a reclusive lumberjack just sounds like the worst possible fan fic. I'm so glad they didn't do that.

I guess my biggest beef is not that he 'killed' Deb but that he dumped her body in the same place he dumped all his victims. Sure, she was one of his victims, but she wasn't a baddie like the others down there.

Otherwise, the rest of this season can fuck right off.

This is exactly what I thought too.

Also it was left kind of ambiguous, does he still have the need to kill?.

I think some people are being a bit too harsh on this show because they can't help but compare it to Breaking Bad.

That being said, this episode was pure shit. Dexter kills Saxon and they let him go right away? He walks into a hospital and leaves with the body of one of the patients without anyone noticing? :bang: He kills Debra and dumps her body with all his other victims :bang: then he swims out of the hurricane :bang: and ends up a lumberjack? Wut?

I feel like someone in the writing room said "hey, y'know what... we should address the issue that Dexter kills people and might be... y'know... not so great. I mean, this show Breaking Bad is getting such critical acclaim because they're casting they're doing this, uh, moral ambiguity thing and showing the consequences of their main character's actions, and apparently we don't really do that. So... uh... let's do something like that." But they have such a hard on for their main character that they made him face his own consequences on his own terms. Because he's just such a wonderful professional expert that he has to be in control of everything.

That's the worst part about it, to me. Not that he was forced in (kinda.... not really) exile, but that he did it on his own terms, because he decided that those are the consequences he should face.

Anyway, this show never came close to Breaking Bad. Dexter's best season is much worse than BB's worst season. Sure it had good moments, and John Litgow lit up the show for a while. But it was always the same quick-cut on-the-spot storytelling, with a narrator constantly spoon-feeding us information we don't need to hear, forced performances, unmotivated actions, etc. It was just a cool gimmicky show for a while with a super awesome character (Doakes... the only sane person in the Dexter world apparently), and this cool concept of getting into the mind of a mentally sick psychopath.

The awful leaked ending which was only half right, was somehow better than what actually happened. How can you come up with something dumber than Quinn becoming a killer? Having your killer become a lumberjack.

"Lumberjackin' it" should join the pantheon of "nuking the fridge" and "jumping the shark" to indicate stupid plot twists.

I have to agree, I was terrible disappointed in this show. Why include a serial killer who decides to be horribly stupid and attempt to confront Debra at the hospital with a full contingent of cops around into thinking he can actually kill her but OH WAIT, shes already a vegetable so there is no impact there. Lets backtrack, if you wanted Debra to die why didnt they just kill her during the gun fight with Saxon in the first place but nooooooooooo we had to have an emotional farewell that cut back to old footage that wasted precious time that could have been spent elsewhere. Oh and that great escape with Hanna and Harrison? Fuck them according to Dexter... Deb building up Dexter to be something special and for him to just say, fuck it, i destroy everything that is in my life, whatever.... I dont buy it. I think these writers are going to never find work again after their lunacy with this season. How horrible can they get? i am seriously considering rewatching seasons 1-4 and calling season 4 the series finale lol.

I've just started Breaking Bad and so far, while enjoyable I think Dexters first Season was better than Breaking Bads so given the amount of praise it receives around here I'm expecting it to seriously up the ante in Season 2 and beyond.

It does get steadily better while Dexter gets worse and worse but some people think it's the best thing since sliced bread when I personally just think it's a really good show.

It does get steadily better while Dexter gets worse and worse but some people think it's the best thing since sliced bread when I personally just think it's a really good show.

I think it's somewhere in the middle... one of the best things since sliced bread :P

But after this series finale I am just going with the story that Dexter did indeed end after season 4. Now there's this terrible new drama with grown ups acting like teenagers, and the series ends with the weirdest one dropping everything and becoming a lumberjack.

A motherfucking LUMBERJACK!

What the fuck? Really?

WTF.

Seriously, what the fucking fuck.

But what the holy mother of fuck was THAT?

Why did they even bother?

Hilarious ending to a terrible season.

Just wanted to sum up some of the best reactions that we have so far and say that I couldn't agree more. It's sad to think that this was done to a series that started off with two great seasons and was one of my favorites at one point.

I may be in the minority in saying that I thought that the second last season was actually kinda decent. It was definitely far better than the preceding two travesties of seasons (with the motivational speaker and christian killer). I actually thought the ukranian mob boss was pretty well developed, and I consider Dexter's conversation with him in the gay bar as one of the best scenes in the series. The show rarely does things like that - have deep meaningful conversations whose subtext isn't shoved down our throats by the narration.

Of course it had to end by one of my most sympathetic characters - Debra - doing the stupidest fucking shit ever, and completely going against what made me really like her that season.

If I had to pretend the show ended some way, I would say pretend that seasons 3, 5 and 6 never happened, Debrah somehow caught him at the end of the Trinity Killer season, and then season 7 ensued (as 4). Except, at the end, instead of shooting Laguerta, Debra says "enough of this shit" and arrests Dexter. Then she makes a full confession to Laguerta, and the police try to help her get a minimal sentence, while Dexter awaits death row.

...that or I would just make it so that Doakes doesn't let Dexter take ten fucking steps towards him while at gunpoint, and actually catches him and turns him in.

I feel like there were too many unnecessary seasons and that it all went in the opposite direction. IMO it would have been better if they started with the Trinity season, then the Doakes stuff and the start of Dexter's downfall as the second season, and finally end with the showdown between Dexter and his brother. And have him die in the end.

You're not in the minority; most people (including me) consider s7 to be pretty good. Sirko was quite good as an antagonist. It's just that great story lines (like Sirko's, and that creepy dude who found out who Dexter was) ended abruptly and weren't satisfying whatsoever. And the biggest blunder was (imo) at that very end, when Deb broke down and killed Laguerta. S8 could've been so much stronger if we had her struggle, and arrest Dexter while in tears at the end of s7. But having Deb kill Laguerta like that gave the signal that the writers won't have Dexter face the music in any meaningful way.

Edit: and I agree that the ITK would've been the perfect final antagonist (in a 5th and final season). Either him, or having Doakes spearhead a large effort to bring down Dexter would've made a great final season.

I was actually pretty emotionally effected by the death of Deb and her impromptu funeral in the wake of a hurricane. I also really enjoyed how Dexter set up Saxon so he could kill him in plain sight.

I am with Ran... I think it is a tragedy that in the end, he couldn't accept a new way of life and died on the boat. I never saw anything about a lumberjack. That would have been insanely stupid.

I'm just starting Season 2 and it's watchable, I'm enjoying it but there's nothing that's making me go wow yet, what Season does it start becoming great?.

I'm just starting Season 2 and it's watchable, I'm enjoying it but there's nothing that's making me go wow yet, what Season does it start becoming great?.

I always thought BB was pretty consistent in quality. The show has had its moments of pure brilliance (one of them was the pilot, imo, which got me hooked instantly) but it's also had a few duds (how boring were the twins?), but the overall quality of the storyline is pretty consistent. If you aren't hooked by the end of S2, I doubt you'll ever be really.

Archived