[BOOK SPOILERS] The issue with Jorah`s future

First, I`ll have to warn everyone that what is going to be discussed on this topic, seriously contains major spoilers from Storm of Swords, so if you haven`t read the book, I wouldn`t recommend continuing

As we know

Jorah`s bussiness arrangement with Varys was discovered by Barristan the moment old guy was revealed. After that, Daenerys sent Jorah far from her.

Now, giving the fact what we have seen in last night`s episode, and the fact that it seems Barristan and Jorah are quite fine with each other, and the fact that in the show Barristan isn`t member of the Small Council as the Lord Commander of Kingsguard, how do you think Jorah`s past transgressions will we revealed?

This situation is at least problematic, since obviously Barristan doesn`t know anything about Jorah`s past arrangement. So, who will be the one to open Dany`s eyes regarding her favorite and most trusted knight?

It will still be Barristan. What makes you think he obviously doesn't know anything about Jorah's past arrangement? I think the only problem is it's the reveal of Arstan-as-Barristan that prompts Barristan to throw Jorah under the bus. They'll have to come up with another way to make Barristan decide to reveal that, but it won't be tough. They've already laid the groundwork for Barristan being willing to tell Dany about the past when asked.

Though Barristan wasn't explicitly shown to be present at the Small Council meeting in Season 1, Episode 5 where Robert hears Jorah's report and demands that Dany be assasinated, that doesn't necessarily mean that he wasn't a member as he was in the books. More importantly, his absence doesn't mean that Barristan wasn't aware that Jorah was an informant. He'd been making these reports on the Targaryens for a while - Robert just didn't act on them until he learned Dany was pregnant. Given his proximity to the King, Barristan would have heard something.

My guess is that some point this season Barristan will call out Jorah as an informant in private rather than explicitly outing his betrayal to Daenerys. He'll question whether Jorah is still angling for a pardon, and Jorah will swear that those days are done, that he is only loyal to Dany now. Barristan will then grudgingly agree to give him a chance to prove it, while vowing to keep a close eye on him. Eventually the secret will be revealed, though I'm not sure how. Maybe Jorah does something that Barristan thinks endangers Dany or crosses some kind of boundary with regards to his feelings for her, and Barristan exposes the truth in a burst of anger?

However and whenever it happens, Dany probably won’t be sending Barristan into the sewers with Jorah, at least not solely on the basis of his service to Robert, as he’s already unveiled himself to her, and she seems to have accepted his loyalty for now. But is she learns that Barristan knew of Jorah's betrayal and kept it from her, that could give her a reason to test Barristan as well.

If it does end up being Barristan still, then they need to make him some how find out about it for the first time and then immediately tell Danny. Him keeping such a secret from his queen just doesn't make any sense. In the book, it does because he's keeping his identity a secret, but for the show, there's no reason at all for him not to immediately reveal such a thing to Danny.

Maybe Barristan will catch Jorah sending a letter to Varys once they reach Meereen. That would make way more sense and it would give Danny more of a reason to banish Jorah. Even though he's sure to tell her that he's only sending sparse info.

What do you guys think will propel this dark secret of Jorah's? In the book it was the Selmy reveal that brought up the discussion of secrets that led to Selmy telling Dany about what Jorah had done. Since Selmy was revealed from Episode 1, how then will this information come to light?

I think it will be done in conjunction with his falling in love with her (which of course has already happened, but will only become intensified after seeing her burn Astapor to the ground, MAJOR...TURN ON for anyone). It could be the kiss that makes her start to question him and then she turns to Barristan who in turn tells her of Jorah's betrayal. Does anyone really think he is still informing? I think that definitely ended a while ago, around the attempted poisoning as it did in the books.

I think it will be done in conjunction with his falling in love with her (which of course has already happened, but will only become intensified after seeing her burn Astapor to the ground, MAJOR...TURN ON for anyone). It could be the kiss that makes her start to question him and then she turns to Barristan who in turn tells her of Jorah's betrayal. Does anyone really think he is still informing? I think that definitely ended a while ago, around the attempted poisoning as it did in the books.

No way is he still informing. It would go against his whole character - the whole point is that he eventually was in fact truly loyal to her, once he came to fully trust her himself and realize what she was.

You must know that Barristan immediately told her about Jorah. Thr very moment he was discovered. And, yes, we can assume that show Barristan knows something, but greater probability is that he doesn`t. The idea Jorah would do now anything against Daenerys is basically character suicide. for both TV and show, but given we have already 2 character suicide(Catelyn and Podrick), I honestly see this one happening too.

I think there is a chance that Dany will never find out about Jorah's treachery and therefore never send him away.

You do realize that is one hell of important plot, and that it will have to be done in order to insert Tyrion in Dany`s storyarc.

Jorah distrusts Selmy Anything Barristan says or does could make him try to put him under a bad light, and then, Selmy could simply pull the better card out: "are you still a spy?" in front of Dany. Jorah has no defense nor way to prove him wrong, even when he stopped a long time ago because it's true.

I can see it done with ease, and in the spirit of the book. Jorah gets jealous over Dany's attention towards Ser Barristan. He calls him a traitor to the Targaryen cause, they might have a little discussion, throwing stuff at one another, for example that Jorah fought against Rhaegar on the Trident, whatever... in the end Barristan accuses him of being an informant. He could justify the delay for the revelation, saying that he wanted to measure Jorah... something like that. Not that a big problem... I don't care about him.

I can see it done with ease, and in the spirit of the book. Jorah gets jealous over Dany's attention towards Ser Barristan. He calls him a traitor to the Targaryen cause, they might have a little discussion, throwing stuff at one another, for example that Jorah fought against Rhaegar on the Trident, whatever... in the end Barristan accuses him of being an informant. He could justify the delay for the revelation, saying that he wanted to measure Jorah... something like that. Not that a big problem... I don't care about him.

i dont know. his justification for keeping this knowledge secret in the show is going to either be world shattering or flimsy.

i bet they dont even bother with the sending away jorah part of the plot

Has anyone brought up the fact that Jorah still might have the royal pardon that Varys's little bird gave to him? That document surfacing would be more than enough evidence to expose him.

Then the question becomes why keep that document when clearly he decides to stay by Dany's side? Perhaps it's a worse case scenario. If she dies then that pardon might allow him to return home.

as far as Barristan not being visible in the small council meeting, is that not what the books claim a good KG is able to do? Be a shadow on the wall? He could be in the room, we just don't notice him because he's off to the side being quiet.

Barristan is right next to Eddard Stark when Ned tells Varys that King Robert has had a change of heart on his death bed concerning the Targaryen girl so he knows of the plot to kill her, he probably knows that Varys had informants on Viserys for quite awhile.

Maybe we'll get a scene between Barristan and Jorah this next episode with Barristan asking why aren't you in Bear Island right now? Did you not get Robert's pardon?

Jorah might reply: I was there the day that Dany hatched her dragons. No one that witnessed that will ever abandon her, Darthaki rode a ship to Astapor with her, they traveled the red waste with her, and I would go through the seven hells with Dany if that is where she wants to go.

Archived