[SPOILERS] So about Ros...

Capt. Zemblanity

Also, has Joffrey ever out and out murdered someone himself yet? This was an important "Crossing of the Rubicon" moment for this character. He has turned from a sadist to a murderer. His level of villainy just upped three fold.

His murder of Ned was not a murder?

Well, some are already calling her death "misogynistic"...

Wouldn't calling her death misogynistic from the point of view of the show's creator's necessarily presuppose that Joffrey and Littlefinger are not complete bastards?

If a thoroughly horrible character commits a reprehensible act, it's a bit contradictory for people to criticize the show and the show's writers for allegedly implicitly endorsing that act.

^ you should have seen the preview thread earlier. Apparently we're not even allowed to call her a 'prostitute' any more. It has to be 'sexworker.'

Heh. This is a gem:

I’m a (usually) shameless show apologist but I am genuinely disturbed and offended by the gratuitous, sexualized murder of Ros we’ll be seeing tonight. The screenshots are making me a little ill in a way that has nothing to do with their (negligible) gore and everything to do with the exploitation of a disadvantaged woman by a sadistic king male-run, wank banking show.

Note: person has not even watched the episode. And the whole thing goes on about how we hate prostitutes and are affraid of women speaking, and blah.

Looks like GoT pulled a "Nikki and Paulo" with Ros -- although LOST had the good sense to build a whole episode around their deaths.

Imagine the wrath if an entire episode was built around Ros' death.

Fortunately GoT actually has places to go and people to kill. Well, other people, anyway. Point being, this show doesn't have the luxury of dicking around for half a season because there's no clear plan on where the story is going and the creators are just trying to stretch "make it up as we go along" into 6 seasons of material when you have enough ideas for maybe 2 and a half.

That would be hilarious in a table-flipping kind of way. The Nikki and Paulo episode (Expose') at least showed some good backstory and was pretty funny.

The Ros story lines throughout the series came off clunky at best. Ros' death seems gratuitous -- we already knew Little Finger was a dick and Joffrey a little psychopath. It seems its only purpose was to do away with a little-liked character, tie up a few loose ends and put a punctuation point on a middling episode.

Fortunately GoT actually has places to go and people to kill. Well, other people, anyway. Point being, this show doesn't have the luxury of dicking around for half a season because there's no clear plan on where the story is going and the creators are just trying to stretch "make it up as we go along" into 6 seasons of material when you have enough ideas for maybe 2 and a half.

Ouch. I sense a disgruntled LOST fan. Can't say I disagree. That's why I continue to be amazed at what GRRM has done creating the world of ASOIAF.

Ouch. I sense a disgruntled LOST fan. Can't say I disagree. That's why I continue to be amazed at what GRRM has done creating the world of ASOIAF.

There's a reason I sniffed out Walking Dead for what it was well before the end of the first season.

It's very rare to find a television show that isn't content with just being the scenario that got pitched to the execs in the first place. TV shows never actually make an effort to go anywhere - even ones that have overarching storylines tend to maintain the status quo in insidious ways, because apparently viewers like the idea of a story better than any actual story involving plot and character development.

Remember that in the show everyone thought that Ros was Tyrion's lover, not Shae. So there is now the motivation and implication that Joffrey killed Tyrion's lover. I wonder if this will be mentioned in the next episode. This death will surely bring about the scene where Tywin lays the smackdown on Joffrey. I've been waiting patiently for this scene for YEARS. It's one of my favorites in the books and will surely be one of my favorites on the show. Tywin vs. Joffrey...yessss!!!

can you refresh my memory? I can't remember how Tywin lays the smack down on Joffrey, other than the time he ordered one of the Kingsguard to take him back to his room.

Archived