[BOOK SPOILERS] Gendry, Melisandre, Arya, etc.

teemo

I think that the BwB turning over Gendry actually made sense for them. They do what they have to do for the greater good. It's rarely pretty, but in the end it will save more lives (they believe).

Did anyone think for a second Arya was going to actually attack Mel. And wouldn't have that been awesome.

A couple of people have mentioned this.

I think part of the whole point of Arya's arc this season is to show her that she's not nearly as good as she thinks she is, first with Thoros unarming her with one swipe in episode 3 and then in this last episode regarding her archery skills.

Which makes sense as we know she has much training she has yet to undergo.

Attacking Mel would not have been a smart idea. ;)

Talk about throwing a curveball to the book readers... it's making me extremely anxious for book 6!

The resurrection part was great though, because if this really is knowledge they've gleamed from GRRM, there's no doubt in my mind that Melisandre uses it w/ Jon

Am I the only one who interpreted Mel’s response to finding out that Thoros could raise people from the dead as being incredulous? She knows this power exists but she gave me the impression that, more importantly, she cannot do it herself. That was just my initial reaction anyway.

I think it ties in with her not realizing yet that magical powers are returning to the world. She would have no way to know that she cannot do it, she hasn't tried. Thoros didn't know until he tried it on Beric. She knows Thoros was a horrible priest that didn't have any special skills when they were in the Red Priest Training Academy together.

“How is it you have this power?” I’ve always been under the impression from the books that a red priest could shadow bind or had resurrection magic, but never both. I feel like resurrection magic is rarer for whatever reason.

Melisandre is the only red priest(ess) that uses Shadowbinding magic. She learned some magic before going to Asshai but there apparently she wanted more power.

As for Arya ...

I really enjoyed Arya's interaction with Mel. This was largely due to the fact that Mel seemed scared of her. We have yet to see Mel scared of anyone. Her comments about "eyes you will shut forever" are definitely referencing Arya's time with TFM.

But maybe not? I'm open to possibilities.

I think you can take those comments about as far as you can take the Ghost of High Heart saying "I see you wolf child, blood child, begone dark heart"

and the GoHH was absolutely afraid of Arya to the point of her shaking with fear.

I don't think the Brotherhood is "good" so much as it is realistic and for the common man. As people have mentioned, they were fully prepared to rob Arya of her horses and selling her out to her family is still selling her out. Just because her destination is safer doesn't mean the end justifies the means.

It's not just the way that the BwB precieve themselves but how others like the Lannisters view them as enemies, traitors and rebells to the crown. They're killing common people trying to find them and BwB is not strong enough to lead a true revolution against any major playing house... yet.

Sorry if this has been brought up somewhere, but does this mean that Gendry may learn who's son he really is? As he's taking on the role of Edric Storm, I assume they're going to do a little leeching of king's blood from him. However, I don't remember a point where he actually learns he has king's blood in his veins (except the point where Brienne almost tells him)...

A synopsis for one of the upcoming episodes says:

Mel tells Gendry a secret, seems pretty obvious that secret is who his father was.

A couple of people have mentioned this.

I think part of the whole point of Arya's arc this season is to show her that she's not nearly as good as she thinks she is, first with Thoros unarming her with one swipe in episode 3 and then in this last episode regarding her archery skills.

Which makes sense as we know she has much training she has yet to undergo.

Attacking Mel would not have been a smart idea. ;)

Yeah I think the showrunners have deliberately and rightfully thrown a big bucket of water in the readers face regarding how ridiculous it would have been for Arya to be a badass fighter at this point, That the only way she could kill people like the stableboy wouldn't have been all that cool.

We will meet again is probably a reference to fake!Arya and her misreading the flames. Probably sees someone in the flames talking about Arya Stark instead of seeing Arya Stark.

"You should not have this power" was her thinking she's so much better than him and he has been a poor servant. It will lead to increased zealousness in Melisandre, when she presses Stannis by saying that she has seen what R'hllor will do through those who do his will (my previous comment on Stannis talking about duty)

I don't think she will tell Gendry about Robert.

I think it ties in with her not realizing yet that magical powers are returning to the world. She would have no way to know that she cannot do it, she hasn't tried. Thoros didn't know until he tried it on Beric. She knows Thoros was a horrible priest that didn't have any special skills when they were in the Red Priest Training Academy together.

That was pretty much the point I was trying to make. I agree with you wholeheartedly.

I did not know that Mel was the only Red Priestess that performed shadowbinding. Is this alluded to specifically in the books?

That was pretty much the point I was trying to make. I agree with you wholeheartedly.

I did not know that Mel was the only Red Priestess that performed shadowbinding. Is this alluded to specifically in the books?

I might be remembering wrong, but I thought Daenerys referred to/thought of Quaithe as "The Shadowbinder."

The only red priest that we see doing it in the books is Mel.

In her single POV chapter she makes a comment about making difficult magic look easy and not going into detail about how difficult it is to nonbelievers.

She's thinking this as she is undoing the glamour with Mance. She claims to have learned this lesson about making magic look easy to people that don't understand it way before she ever made it to Asshai.

so that's all I have to go on. That and there's no other red priest(ess) that we've seen do shadowbinding magic.

Arya: You're a witch. You're going to hurt him.

Melisandre: I see a darkness in you. And in that darkness eyes staring back at me. Brown eyes, blue eyes, green eyes. Eyes you'll shut forever. We will meet again.

Thank you :)

The more I think about it, the more I think that we are jumping to conclusions. For all we know, they had her say that so that she can be wrong when Ramsay marries fake!Arya, in order to lure us into a false sense of security for the Jon attack. So we can say to ourselves "yeahhh right Melisandre, remember when you thought that was Arya in your precious flames?"

I don't know, I don't think it was the huge spoiler people are assuming it to be. Things can go a number of ways and I think we alllll need to take a step back, calm down, and think.

I didn't like it one bit. Melisandre being there in the first place and then changing the fate of a character that we don't even know what GRRM had in mind for.

You are aware these guys know what's going to happen to the characters? Gendry has plenty of time to get wherever he needs to be by the time he becomes relevant again.

You are aware these guys know what's going to happen to the characters? Gendry has plenty of time to get wherever he needs to be by the time he becomes relevant again.

So where exactly was this stated? That the writers "KNOW" what is going to happen in the future?

I mean are we seriously buying that? Most of the time the authors themselves have no idea how they're gonna end a story and yet we're supposed to believe that GRRM has everything planned out and that the show is the true reflection of what's going to be occurring in the next 2 books?

I said it before and I'll say it again...this episode was pure feces and an absolute disgrace. My only saving grace is that I'm not paying money to watch this crap.

So where exactly was this stated? That the writers "KNOW" what is going to happen in the future?

I mean are we seriously buying that? Most of the time the authors themselves have no idea how they're gonna end a story and yet we're supposed to believe that GRRM has everything planned out and that the show is the true reflection of what's going to be occurring in the next 2 books?

I said it before and I'll say it again...this episode was pure feces and an absolute disgrace. My only saving grace is that I'm not paying money to watch this crap.

Because several times in interviews they've said that they meet with George and discuss ultimate character arcs. They know how the story ends which is why they don't field questions about such things, and they need to know in case George is unable to finish writing for whatever reason so they will continue the series. They ask questions about whether characters will need to be in certain places and we already know that they planned to kill off a character that ultimately was important and thus kept them alive.

Because several times in interviews they've said that they meet with George and discuss ultimate character arcs. They know how the story ends which is why they don't field questions about such things, and they need to know in case George is unable to finish writing for whatever reason so they will continue the series. They ask questions about whether characters will need to be in certain places and we already know that they planned to kill off a character that ultimately was important and thus kept them alive.

Just because they said it in interviews doesnt mean its true or that things won't change. Frankly I think its a load of horsesh*t and will continue to follow the books. If the show hadn't gone of the rails 3 episodes into season 2 I'd love it but its clear that this is all a joke to the writers.

At this point I just want to see The Red Wedding and then cancel the entire series. Its just beyond stupid at this point....

Yep it's a huge joke. These men are sociopaths who aren't interested in artistic integrity or achievement and just want to bring pain to book readers by doing as bad of a job as possible. That's a reasonable reaction.

Why do you torment yourself by watching something you detest? It's not like you run this site and need to keep up on it.

Should I point out that the author himself has stated as much?

The vehemence is pretty strong right now but I imagine it will only get worse when the show eventually passes the books, which, given the author's current pace, is bound to happen. I think readers should start dealing with the reality that we will know the ending of the series before we read about it.

How do you know it's a "torment"? If anythings its highly annoying but most of all its sad. Such a wonderful world and such a vibrant cast with people who had original personalities has been utterly destroyed and warped by these hacks.

As I said before I'm not unreasonable. I understand its television. But since 3-4 episodes into Season 2 its become more and more apparent that the writers are either retarded/stupid or they just don't give a sh*t about telling the true story (or as close to the true story as possible).

To me that's unforgivable and so I'll continue to call them out on it. It doesn't hurt me and it's not like it's taking 20 hours of my day to do so....

Can't wait to see how they eff up Mereen in A Dance with Dragons! Next thing you know it will be Ser Barristan who flies away on a dragon...probably Viserion!

Archived