[All 5 book spoilers] Can we make guesses about books 6 & 7 from the TV show storylines?

Suzanna Stormborn

Last nights show was very telling. There have been a lot of hints that are not in the books.

The fact that they are completely leaving out Edric Storm leads me to believe he will either die in the books or we will never see him again. I think it's definite proof he will not be very important later in the books

What has everyone else noticed that could possibly be hints to the last 2 books??

I think the line "Brown eyes, blue eyes, green eyes. Eyes that you will shut forever." Is obvious foreshadowing that wasn't in the books, I think its a nod to people that she will be set against later. I'm thinking brown eyes are pretty vague but few people in the books are described with blue and green eyes. Blue eyes is a sign of Baratheon house, meaning Gendry? Green eyes are Lannisters so I'm thinking Myrcella (being she is all the lady Arya will never be) or the obvious Cersi.

I think those are just common color eyes and Melisandre telling her that was implying her future career as an assassin. Not particular people she will kill

This. I also think the show is preparing non-book readers for Arya going all murderous. After all, it is pretty shocking to see a little girl that the audience has come to enjoy and admire, suddenly violently stabbing people to death.

This. I also think the show is preparing non-book readers for Arya going all murderous. After all, it is pretty shocking to see a little girl that the audience has come to enjoy and admire, suddenly violently stabbing people to death.

Has anyone dubbed the Arya-Bravos arc "Le Femme Arya?" She become a secret FM assassin but she had hidden Needle so she hasn't given up everything of Arya like she was supposed to. Will she go all bad-ass assassin on the FM? or just go on a quest to kill everyone on her list? (even though most have already died by the end of the 5th book)

From Mel's "We will meet again" I took it that Arya will defo end up at the Wall sometime in the coming books.

Not for certain. Melisandre is known (in the books) to have been wrong rather often. We also have an example of a prophecy being broken; the Mummer's Dragon (Young Griff) turned from his set course toward Meereen. In the same way, Arya turned from her route to the Wall when she could only find passage to Braavos, not Eastwatch-by-the-sea, from Saltpans.

The more convincing foreshadowing is the book line of "different roads sometime lead to the same castle" that Jon told her upon parting (I think). That's very far from proof that they'll ever meet in person again though.

Concerning the OP, I think there may well be clues in the show - D&D have been told part of what's going to happen in those books, and they do seem to enjoy foreshadowing. Looking at the alterations might very well lead to interesting insights, especially if combined with the book clues. Notably, the House of the Undying is definitely worth a closer look, seeing as we now has six visions from it. I think all will prove relevant.

Not for certain. Melisandre is known (in the books) to have been wrong rather often.

The books are not the show. In the books she's been often wrong, in the show she's been pretty much spot on. They had her divine Gendry's existence and exact location from her fires ffs.

The books are not the show. In the books she's been often wrong, in the show she's been pretty much spot on. They had her divine Gendry's existence and exact location from her fires ffs.

We didn't have any confirmation of Mel being wrong this early in the books, either. She had been spot on 'till this point, as far as we knew. In fact, it's not really until we get her POV that we really know just how much guessing she's doing.

As pointed out, the Mel in the books is different to TV Mel with the accuracy of her predictions so it would not surprise me down the track to specifically seeing Arya kill people with brown eyes, blue eyes and green eyes. On the meeting again part I have no specific clue to where this will be but I do think it will happen in the show.

And hello to everyone as well :drunk: .

No,

Next Question?

(long answer: The differences between the show and the book will only grow more numerous over time. There are so many factors influencing the final product we see on our TV screens and "making it work with the book" is only one of them. Sure you can speculate about them, but you will not get good guesses out of it. But as we need to kill time in this forum until the next book, sure, let's add "But the show hinted at this in that scene" to all our book discussions. I'm sure it'll help us. No, the books and the series are two different monsters, treat them as such.)

Hmmm. Bryan Cogman did reveal that he, Benioff and Weiss sat down with GRRM to discuss where the individual character arcs and plotlines were going, to assist them in planning. It's been confirmed that GRRM already told D&D "the ending," but it sounds like the conversation with Cogman was much more comprehensive and detailed. (I'm thinking the "ending" GRRM told D&D was in very broad strokes.)

I think the conversation with Cogman and D&D where GRRM laid out individual character arcs (post-ADWD, obviously) happened recently, though, as in 2013. If that's the case, we can't really read too much into Seasons 1-3. We can read a fair bit into what happens after Season 3. So I would start paying a good deal of attention to post-Season 3 changes. For example, if, say, the Hound dies at the end of the Hound/Arya arc in the show, that will send up a big red flag as to whether we can expect to see Sandor Clegane surface again in the books.

As for how much we can read into changes made to date? Eh, I dunno. I mean, Tyrion/Shae is super romantic in the show, but does anyone doubt that Shae is still going to come to a bad end, just as she did in the books? I mean, the "how" might be different, but the "what" (Shae dying) likely isn't. Ditto for Loras and Cersei's engagement. The "how" is different, but the outcome (Loras in the Kingsguard, Cersei unmarried) is very likely the same.

I doubt Melisandre would be given a line like "We'll meet again" if in fact she and Arya weren't going to meet again. I also doubt Willas and Garlan are going to be critical characters, given how the show has dealt with them to date.

As for Gendry/Melisandre, we should probably wait to see where Gendry ends up at the end of Season 3 before making predictions. If he ends up back in the Riverlands as a smith, then Edric is not important; if he ends up traveling like Edric, then Edric's important.

As for Gendry/Melisandre, we should probably wait to see where Gendry ends up at the end of Season 3 before making predictions. If he ends up back in the Riverlands as a smith, then Edric is not important; if he ends up traveling like Edric, then Edric's important.

That is a very good point, now I can't wait to see where Gendry ends up!

Umm.. ..she killed the stable boy in Season One. Mind you that was more of an instinctive reaction. But she also killed a Harrenhal guard in Season Two and that one was planned and deliberate. She has already gone all murderous on the TV show.

Besides, seeing your own father beheaded and all the other death she's seen (Lommy for instance - his throat casually slit just out of convenience) it's pretty understandable that she have a pretty strong streak of revenge going on.

Generally speaking it would make me quite unhappy to think that the TV show is in any way an indication of how things are going to unfold in the last couple of books. For one, it opens up the possibility that GRRM is susceptible to altering his intended plot based on the sometimes hackish writing that we're seeing on the TV show. As much as I dislike the idea of the TV show altering the things we've already read in the books, I absolutely abhor the idea that they might change things that we havent' yet read, not only on the screen but on the page.

Generally speaking it would make me quite unhappy to think that the TV show is in any way an indication of how things are going to unfold in the last couple of books. For one, it opens up the possibility that GRRM is susceptible to altering his intended plot based on the sometimes hackish writing that we're seeing on the TV show. As much as I dislike the idea of the TV show altering the things we've already read in the books, I absolutely abhor the idea that they might change things that we havent' yet read, not only on the screen but on the page.

What makes you think that GRRM would alter his storyline just because he has had some more detailed discussions about the show? Right from the start he told D&D the 'big picture' outline of where things are going with key characters, so why would he be open to change things now just because the show is now airing Season 3 and they have already written scripts for Season 4? They need to know more details so they can keep things overall consistent.

Archived