[All 5 book spoilers] Can we make guesses about books 6 & 7 from the TV show storylines?

Suzanna Stormborn

The OP brings me to the question l have asked numerous times, with friends and here on the forum, if future plots/arcs are/will put in the show, that are unknown in the books to this point (adwd) should we keep watching?????

I really hope they do not botch the Red Wedding with needless cliffhangers, as they did with Ramsay's razing of Winterfell. Instead of suspenseful, it was just confusing (almost a whole season later, viewers still have no idea what happened there, and many whom I know have actually forgotten that it ever happened). Leaving the audience in the dark about what happened at the Twins would really rob the Red Wedding of its impact.

For TV, showing the death of Robb and Catelyn would be enough to demonstrate the impact of the Red Wedding. That alone would convey the heartbreak of it all mainly because it would mean the victory of the Lannisters over the Starks. I mean in TV showing a lot of characters being killed would make people assume that everyone was killed in the Red Wedding. I'm just saying that if the producers would wish to not to show every single one of Robb's army and entourage being killed, then that would open up a lot of speculation.

• 4 weeks later...

I thought that was referencing A Feast for Crows where Brienne almost dies for Jaime. If it weren't for Podrick and Hyle, I think she would have accepted her fate that day.

Yes, exactly. It's foreshadowing on how she shifts from "Who wants to die defending a Lannister?" to "I'll be ready to die defending a Lannister".

This. If they even were foreshadowing. Who wants to die defending a Lannister could just mean, who wants to protect Jaime from certain death that night, they all wanted to kill him. Hence, they have to get Jaime out of the camp tonight, or he'll be dead in the morning.

Benioff and Weiss said "Themes are for eighth-grade book reports". No flashbacks or dreams, just Bran warging. They just keep moving forward, rarely pausing for reflection about they've been, or where they are going.

Seems like they are sticking to the same broad strokes from the books, but change the journey to suit their preferences. If they leave out a character or subplot considered important in the books, they at least provide a reference point they can return to in the future.

Again, D&D do a better job than Westeros's users seem to accept.

I agree everyone here is way too harsh on them. I for one love the show as much as the books. I see them both as their own thing... and lets be honest most of the arguements against D&D are very petty. People like Galbart Glover didnt particularly need a big death as they literally have no role... and yet Ive seen two comments today around the forum about how Galbart Glover's death wasnt epic enough.... I barely even remember who he is, and I dont think he was named in the show... Anyways, rant over

Seems like they are sticking to the same broad strokes from the books, but change the journey to suit their preferences. If they leave out a character or subplot considered important in the books, they at least provide a reference point they can return to in the future.

They also know how it ends and who's important, and who ends up on the throne. GRRM made a big deal when they killed Mago in S1, but it seems like they can just use another random character to fill in that storyline.

D&D also have insider info to be able to write things like Mel saying "we shall meet again" to Arya or something like that. I think that's a huge hint.

Also, Blackfish escaping the RW (I know, I know, he's got a scene at Riverrun later) but I think it means he's important. They didn't want viewers to forget him, but he has to survive, because they know he does something big!

I feel like its a bad sign for the Tyrells that their other two sons were killed off in the show, since it seems to point to the fact that they will die in the books or otherwise House Tyrell is going to be extinguished.

Which 2 tyrell's were killed on the show? I am drawing a blank at that

I agree everyone here is way too harsh on them. I for one love the show as much as the books. I see them both as their own thing... and lets be honest most of the arguements against D&D are very petty. People like Galbart Glover didnt particularly need a big death as they literally have no role... and yet Ive seen two comments today around the forum about how Galbart Glover's death wasnt epic enough.... I barely even remember who he is, and I dont think he was named in the show... Anyways, rant over

I agree they are doing a great job, when you place the GOT series against any others novels-to-shows this is the best adaptation and closest to the actual storyline by far. Look at Trueblood, the only thing they take from the books are the characters names. Sure D&D leave out and change some things, but it is still, I would say, like 85% accurate, which is really good. And I am positive all the main storylines will end up int he same place.

Not killed off, but they don't exist. Loras is the only son on the show...the gay future king's guard. There is no Willis or Garlan. Seems like a bad sign.

Oh right. yeah I agree. That's what I was thinking about Edric, he was left out completely, so his future part in the books cannot be that vast IMO.

I am excited about Rickon and Asha. Anything they show us next season will be stuff we don't know. Unless the book comes out first. (please please please)

Oh right. yeah I agree. That's what I was thinking about Edric, he was left out completely, so his future part in the books cannot be that vast IMO.

Is the expansion of Gendry just a way of not dealing with Edric, or does it mean something? With Gendry headed to King's Landing, he will be the only person there who knows that Arya is alive and in the Riverlands. So I think we'll continue to see more of him...

In TWoW, you've got a trial by combat coming up to determine the truth or falsity of the treason/twincest charges against Cersei. Say she is found guilty. What's the most powerful High Septon in 300 years to do? The Gods have proven King Tommen & Princess Myrcella are Lannister bastards. The next in line (Stannis) is a demon-worshipper.

I say to protect the realm from the demon-worshipper, the High Septon makes it his prerogative to legitimize Robert's first-born, "The Smith Incarnate". The small-folk would love it, a king from Flea-Bottom, and the Septon would assume he could pull King Gendry Baratheon's strings. (Unless the Septon is a Varys ally, in which case he would declare for Aegon. But I tend to think the High Sparrow is more of a wild-card) For those who say legitimizing a bastard is strictly a royal prerogative, the Septon believes that The Seven are higher than kings, and he's got an army now.

Anyway, that's why I think we're seeing more Gendry. He is one of the multiple people who will sit on the Iron Throne before it's over.

Is the expansion of Gendry just a way of not dealing with Edric, or does it mean something? With Gendry headed to King's Landing, he will be the only person there who knows that Arya is alive and in the Riverlands. So I think we'll continue to see more of him...

In TWoW, you've got a trial by combat coming up to determine the truth or falsity of the treason/twincest charges against Cersei. Say she is found guilty. What's the most powerful High Septon in 300 years to do? The Gods have proven King Tommen & Princess Myrcella are Lannister bastards. The next in line (Stannis) is a demon-worshipper.

I say to protect the realm from the demon-worshipper, the High Septon makes it his prerogative to legitimize Robert's first-born, "The Smith Incarnate". The small-folk would love it, a king from Flea-Bottom, and the Septon would assume he could pull King Gendry Baratheon's strings. (Unless the Septon is a Varys ally, in which case he would declare for Aegon. But I tend to think the High Sparrow is more of a wild-card) For those who say legitimizing a bastard is strictly a royal prerogative, the Septon believes that The Seven are higher than kings, and he's got an army now.

Anyway, that's why I think we're seeing more Gendry. He is one of the multiple people who will sit on the Iron Throne before it's over.

woah, excellent point!! There had to be a real purpose in the books for all these bastards. I like that idea and it makes sense. Maybe that will be Jaime's quest from Stoneheart. To take the rightful heir back to KL.

I highly doubt Gendry will ever sit the Throne, but it's a good post for sure. Lots of interesting stuff to think about.

I do agree Gendry will have a bigger role, just not that big.

woah, excellent point!! There had to be a real purpose in the books for all these bastards. I like that idea and it makes sense. Maybe that will be Jaime's quest from Stoneheart. To take the rightful heir back to KL.

How Cersei could lose the trial - getting a little off topic (sorry!)

Recall Bran's prophecy:

One shadow was as dark as ash, with the terrible face of a hound. Another was armored like the sun, golden and beautiful. Over them both loomed a giant in armor made of stone, but when he opened his visor, there was nothing inside but darkness and thick black blood.

The Hound, Jaime, Ser Robert Strong, right? A lot of people have said that The Hound would be The Faith's champion against unGregor.

But Sandor doesn't have the Hound helm anymore, Rorge had it untill Brienne killed him, then it was picked up by the BwB. If Brienne and Jaime get out of their current predicament and return to King's Landing, Brienne might take the helm to pose as the Hound and act as the Faith's champion. (from another thread, I forget who proposed this)

The problem is, Ser Robert Strong really is invincible. So with Brienne on the brink of death, Jaime steps in and confesses to the twincest/treason. The Septon calls the combat to a halt and Cersei is judged guilty and sentenced to die. (the hand of the valonquar)

Here's where the Septon could declare for King Gendry Baratheon.

I highly doubt Gendry will ever sit the Throne, but it's a good post for sure. Lots of interesting stuff to think about.

I do agree Gendry will have a bigger role, just not that big.

I'd say at least two more kings would sit on throne after a King Gendry, so it might not be that big.

How Cersei could lose the trial - getting a little off topic (sorry!)

Recall Bran's prophecy:

One shadow was as dark as ash, with the terrible face of a hound. Another was armored like the sun, golden and beautiful. Over them both loomed a giant in armor made of stone, but when he opened his visor, there was nothing inside but darkness and thick black blood.

The Hound, Jaime, Ser Robert Strong, right? A lot of people have said that The Hound would be The Faith's champion against unGregor.

But Sandor doesn't have the Hound helm anymore, Rorge had it untill Brienne killed him, then it was picked up by the BwB. If Brienne and Jaime get out of their current predicament and return to King's Landing, Brienne might take the helm to pose as the Hound and act as the Faith's champion. (from another thread, I forget who proposed this)

The problem is, Ser Robert Strong really is invincible. So with Brienne on the brink of death, Jaime steps in and confesses to the twincest/treason. The Septon calls the combat to a halt and Cersei is judged guilty and sentenced to die. (the hand of the valonquar)

Here's where the Septon could declare for King Gendry Baratheon.

that just blew my mind!! all great ideas!

Archived