Small questions v.10005

Angalin

Huh. I recall that scene, but didn't get the sense of the big age difference. Imagine being a 17 year old princess and being told you may have to wait for some 8 year old kid to grow up and be your husband.

Found this on the Tyrion=Targ thread, which answers your question:

"Just so. It was my belief that the mothers had cooked up this plot between them. Squire Squishlips and his ilk and the various pimply young maidens who'd been paraded before me were the almonds before the feast, meant only to whet our appetites. The main course was to be served at Casterly Rock. "

"Cersei and Jaime. "

"Such a clever dwarf. Elia and I were older, to be sure. Your brother and sister could not have been more than eight or nine. Still, a difference of five or six years is little enough. And there was an empty cabin on our ship, a very nice cabin, such as might be kept for a person of high birth. As if it were intended that we take someone back to Sunspear. A young page, perhaps. Or a companion for Elia. Your lady mother meant to betroth Jaime to my sister, or Cersei to me. Perhaps both. "

"Perhaps, " said Tyrion, "but my father — "

— ruled the Seven Kingdoms, but was ruled at home by his lady wife, or so my mother always said. " Prince Oberyn raised his arms, so Lord Dagos Manwoody and the Bastard of Godsgrace could slip a chainmail bymie down over his head. "At Oldtown we learned of your mother's death, and the monstrous child she had borne. We might have turned back there, but my mother chose to sail on. I told you of the welcome we found at Casterly Rock."

"What I did not tell you was that my mother waited as long as was decent, and then broached your father about our purpose. Years later, on her deathbed, she told me that Lord Tywin had refused us brusquely. His daughter was meant for Prince Rhaegar, he informed her. And when she asked for Jaime, to espouse Elia, he offered her you instead. "

Do you think the Cleganes get an education?

Is the hound literate?

They are an important house within Lannister ranks.

What do you think?

I highly doubt that Sandor is literate. He ran away when he was quite young.

Thank you :)

Considering Elia was a marriageable maid of 16 or 17 years old, the offer of the deformed infant Tyrion must have been doubly insulting.

No doubt. It goes to show that even someone as powerful and terrifying as Lord Tywin is beholden to something greater than himself (The Stranger). I think Lady Joanna's death really affected Lord Tywin and it might have been one of the few times where he bungled a political opportunity. It wouldn't surprise me if Lord Tywin suspected Prince Lewyn's lady wife of trying to take advantage of his grief by visiting and proposing betrothal so soon after Joanna's death. (I don't buy that, however, since the two women were supposedly friends.)

In ASoS Tormund tells Jon that he tried to carry off a she-bear one night and the next morning half his member was bit off, but that there was a bear pelt (?) on the ground (or something similar) as well. Do we think Tormund bedded an actual bear, or did he just meet a particularly mean wildling woman (say the size and strength of Brienne)?

No doubt. It goes to show that even someone as powerful and terrifying as Lord Tywin is beholden to something greater than himself (The Stranger). I think Lady Joanna's death really affected Lord Tywin and it might have been one of the few times where he bungled a political opportunity. It wouldn't surprise me if Lord Tywin suspected Prince Lewyn's lady wife of trying to take advantage of his grief by visiting and proposing betrothal so soon after Joanna's death. (I don't buy that, however, since the two women were supposedly friends.)

In ASoS Tormund tells Jon that he tried to carry off a she-bear one night and the next morning half his member was bit off, but that there was a bear pelt (?) on the ground (or something similar) as well. Do we think Tormund bedded an actual bear, or did he just meet a particularly mean wildling woman (say the size and strength of Brienne)?

There have been a number of threads speculating about this. A recent one positing Maege Mormont as his "she-bear" is here:

Upon Daenerys' return, which houses will be loyal to her? Or which houses were Targaryen Loyalists during Robert's rebellion?

All the houses of the Crownlands, the Reach and Dorne and some houses from the Riverlands, the Vale and the Stormlands fought for the Targaryens. As for who will be loyal to her, who knows?

Lord Jeor Mormont and his too-clever crow - I believe the books say nothing about it, but the Old Bear is a warg, right? If this isn't the case, I think it should be the case - but I suppose we can't get into a discussion about it in this thread.

There is no textual evidence either way, but the general consensus seems to be that Mormonts Raven is being warged by Bloodraven.

Probably, I don't know for sure. The Flintsare spread out all over the North it seems.

In ADWD,I believe, it is said that the Flints of the mountains are the original ones,and the others came from younger sons going away to find land and food.

Is there a bit where we learn Braavos remained hidden somehow from the dragon lords?

It seems to be safe inside its lagoon and invisible from the open sea.

Braavos was a city made for secrets, a city of fogs and masks and whispers. Its very existence had been a secret for a century, the girl had learned; its location had been hidden thrice that long. “The Nine Free Cities are the daughters of Valyria that was,” the kindly man taught her, “but Braavos is the bastard child who ran away from home. We are a mongrel folk, the sons of slaves and whores and thieves. Our forebears came from half a hundred lands to this place of refuge, to escape the dragonlords who had enslaved them. Half a hundred gods came with them, but there is one god all of them shared in common.”

Backed up by

“The Moonsingers led us to this place of refuge, where the dragons of Valyria could not find us,” Denyo said.

Do we know which side Brackens and Blackwoods took in the various rebellions since the forging of the Iron Throne? I would think that at least in the Blackfyre rebellion, they supported their respective bastards?

ETA: Oh, and while we're on the subject, any idea what was the connection between Barba and Bethany Bracken (Aegon IV's fifth and seventh mistresses)? Were they sisters?

I'm pretty sure the Blackwoods always supported the throne. During the first Blackfyre rebellion Bloodraven supported Daeron, during the second attempted rebellion Lord Blackwood is in the army that marches to Whitehalls with Bloodraven.

Barba, Bittersteel's mother, was replaced by Missy Blackwood, Bloodraven's mother. Bethany replaced Missy Blackwood, but it doesn't say if Barba and Bethany were sisters.

Archived