New Sample Chapter

I see dark clouds in the future of the War :P

Tyrion has definitely taken a turn for the worse, whether this is still temporary or not, that remains to be decided. But the character development is good.

AFFC and this new sample chapter definitely show that Myrcella and Tommen are definitely the tragic children of the series.

If the Tysha = Sailor's wife can be believed...he may still have a chance to meet her again.

Although there is no question that Tyrion has taken a turn for the worse, I doubt it will remain this bad. He is still reeling from the emotional shock; he is drunk the majority of the time, and he's been living in very poor conditions to boot. I have no doubt that Tyrion will remain darker than he has in past books, but I also think that he will slowly regain more of his old self back.

Excellent chapter, by the way. I love my Tyrion, and I really cannot wait for this book

Tyrion looked at the fat man with new interest. He is right on both counts. To queen her is to kill her. And I knew that.

I read that as more "I knew that subconsciusly, but wouldn't admit it to myself."

The harping of the "Where did Tysha go?" theme makes me confident that she is indeed the Sailor's Wife. So the answer to Tyrion's riddle is "To Braavos".

The "King" who previously enjoyed the skills of the Lyseni whore must be King Viserys, right?

Smuggling people out in a barrel may be one of the means to get Marillion out of the Eyrie. In Alayne we get a detailed description of the Eyrie's transportation system.

Great Chapter - great to see the Westeros and Dany storylines beginning to merge.

Personally I've never had the love for Tyrion that a lot of people have on this board. He's annoying little squirt most the time. His drinking and relentless self-pity reminds me of his sister Cersei and their 'I blame it on my family - oh woe is me' gets on my nerves. When he's sober and thinking he's quite entertaining. Mind you, Illiyrio (sorry if I've spelt that wrong) played him like a lute - one word that is certain to get through that wine-soaked brain - Dragon.

Mind you I got some malicious pleasure out of Tyrion being stuffed into a wine barrel. GRRM's nod to some Tolkein dwarves perhaps?

Smuggling people out in a barrel may be one of the means to get Marillion out of the Eyrie.

Err .... what? I admit to being rather baffled by this remark. Have people actually proposed that Marillion is still alive? For what reason would he be kept alive by anyone?

Err .... what? I admit to being rather baffled by this remark. Have people actually proposed that Marillion is still alive? For what reason would he be kept alive by anyone?

Oh, we have not been dormant! There is a Marillion is the Blue Bard crackpot theory. Even I find that difficult to believe, and we spent some time analysing the details in the FfC reread project. It simply doesn't work.

But that Marillion is alive I find quite plausible (it would be difficult for Petyr to convince Marillion to help him mislead the Lords Declarant—it would seem that Marillion would have a nonzero chance of survival if he spoke the truth in that scene, while helping Petyr would lead to certain death.) Pure speculation, of course. If he is alive then Petyr must have had him smuggled out of the Eyrie somehow. Anyway, it derails this thread. Discussion can be found in the Sansa/Alayne section of the reread project.

The harping of the "Where did Tysha go?" theme makes me confident that she is indeed the Sailor's Wife. So the answer to Tyrion's riddle is "To Braavos".

The "King" who previously enjoyed the skills of the Lyseni whore must be King Viserys, right?

Why would the Sailor's wife be Tysha? I never liked that idea. One of the other whores had tasted her blood and felt that her husband had drowned right, that doesn't indicate Tyrion and Why would be she called the Sailor's wife if Tyrion is the Husband? I feel it's more likely that Tyrion's uncle Gerion is the husband she lost, which also could explain why the Sailor's wife's daughter is goldenhaired and called Lanna. Gerion made several trips to the free Cities and he drowned.

Why would the Sailor's wife be Tysha?

Who are the Sailor's wife and Lanna? Where is that mentioned?

I really liked Tyrions chapter. I think Tyrion is just posturing, he would never really try to get Myrcella killed, sweet child that she is (he says she is in ASOS). About Jaime though... I didn't expect he would want to kill Jaime. He may feel different later on, but he seems to have moved Jaime firmly into the hate-column.

I liked that Tyrion was going Tywin style with the Lyseni girl... That he wanted the girl to fear him was a new aspect, imo. Wasn't nice of him of course, but he seems to have had enough of laughter and mockery and decided that fear serves him better, same as Tywin.

Who are the Sailor's wife and Lanna? Where is that mentioned?

The Sailor's wife is a whore at the Happy port in Braavos. Lanna is her 14 year old daughter, the most expensive whore at the the Happy port. we see them in one of Sam's chapters and in the Cat of the Canal chapter.

Two things that jumped out at me.

When he talks about shooting Tywin. He says he wished he had aimed a bit lower, cause thats how his father made him. Well, he missed shooting Tywin in the cock, a subtle hint that Tywin was not the father?

At one point he has to use the valyarian word for cortesan? Like what Arya sees in Braavos? Points to Tysha.

He didn't need Illyrio to point that out, though. If you'll read the chapter again:

That is, he was fully assuming that he would probably die, and Myrcella along with him.

Altherion:

To be a little more clear, Tyrion dreamed of dragons so he could overpower and kill his enemies. It may be that seeing them makes him "considerably happier," but this would not necessarily speak well of him.

have jst read the chapter all I can say is WOW!!!!!!!!!

Another interesting point of that chapter is that Varys seems to not have left Westeros with Tyrion. But where DID he go? Highgarden? Dorne? Stokeworth? Staying in KL?

I seriously hope he's going to the wall with the Letter that Ned wanted to write....

I always thought Varys stayed in Kings Landing. He'll be best placed to keep an eye on things there and maybe even influence events. The puppetshows we hear about in one of the Cersei's PoV, they are plants by Varys to subtly shift the commoners opinion to a pro-targaryen stance.

The harping of the "Where did Tysha go?" theme makes me confident that she is indeed the Sailor's Wife.

Say what!? I see where you're getting the idea from, but the rest of it makes no sense at all. Is there more to this idea than the Sailor's Wife's way of wedding those she beds?

I am seriously annoyed that all he could think of is where the whores go. Who cares? He just killed his father and his ex-whore, he is penniless and wanted by anyone who wants to be a made Lord (by Cersei), and the only thing on his mind is where the whores go. He did not see Tysha for what? 10 years? Can anyone even remember whom they were with 10 years ago? I found it out of character for Tyrion and it makes me sad. He is such an interesting and mature person (unlike his older but juvenile siblings). He is also well known for trying to enjoy life however hard it is and making the best of it. I have also thought of him as Renaissance man in the Dark Ages -- he likes books, finer things in life, he is not overly burdened with morals of his day and age. And now what? He rejects a bedmate (that's not like him)! He drowns his sorrows (Tyrion I know from the previous books liked to keep his head on his shoulders and a clear mind). I hope he'll snap out of it, particularly of this ridiculous Tysha obsession. What are they going to talk about? "Hey Tysha, sorry I raped you along with the whole bunch of my father's soldiers. See, I thought you were a whore..." Yea, that will go well. I really hope she is not going to appear in the books, or that she's dead or happily married to someone else. Otherwise, I will have to quit reading. I do not want Tyrion's POV (which for the most part is a lot of fun and sarcastic one-liners) turn into some ludicrous melodrama.

I am seriously annoyed that all he could think of is where the whores go. Who cares? He just killed his father and his ex-whore, he is penniless and wanted by anyone who wants to be a made Lord (by Cersei), and the only thing on his mind is where the whores go. He did not see Tysha for what? 10 years? Can anyone even remember whom they were with 10 years ago? I found it out of character for Tyrion and it makes me sad. He is such an interesting and mature person (unlike his older but juvenile siblings). He is also well known for trying to enjoy life however hard it is and making the best of it. I have also thought of him as Renaissance man in the Dark Ages -- he likes books, finer things in life, he is not overly burdened with morals of his day and age. And now what? He rejects a bedmate (that's not like him)! He drowns his sorrows (Tyrion I know from the previous books liked to keep his head on his shoulders and a clear mind). I hope he'll snap out of it, particularly of this ridiculous Tysha obsession. What are they going to talk about? "Hey Tysha, sorry I raped you along with the whole bunch of my father's soldiers. See, I thought you were a whore..." Yea, that will go well. I really hope she is not going to appear in the books, or that she's dead or happily married to someone else. Otherwise, I will have to quit reading. I do not want Tyrion's POV (which for the most part is a lot of fun and sarcastic one-liners) turn into some ludicrous melodrama.

I disagree with your take on Tyrion -- I think he's more burdened by morals than the rest of his family, and I think there's a lot more to his POV than fun and one-liners.

Tyrion wants to be loved. It's his weakness. He just found out that his family drove away one person who truly loved him. He's also been shown to be one of the few Lannisters who's not a completely callous bastard.

Moreover, he's freaking drunk. Have you never been familiar with the thought patterns of a good drinking bout, when you get obsessed with one idea and keep going on about it?

Archived