Small questions v.10006

Angalin

Why did Littlefinger arrange for the murder of Jon Arryn?

• It frees up Lysa for him so he can advance his standing through an extremely favourable match.
  • It prevents Jon Arryn from completing his twincest investigation, which would lead to the whole carefully constructed powderkeg that is the 7 kingdoms to fizzle out: Robert kills Cersei & kids, takes Marge, and if Tywin rebels he is easily crushed because he stands alone 1:6
  • It gives him a perfect opportunity to set up Starks against Lannisters. The chaotic situation is one he can use to
    • climb the ladder further (and he does so)
    • free up Cat if that's his long term desire

Okay, this may be a bit of an odd question, so bear with me.

Can Bran... you know... have sex? I mean, he can't move his legs but surely being crippled doesn't necessarily mean he can't function down there.

I only ask, because Eddard Stark was reflecting on it in AGoT and how he would never hold his own son. It's significant because if Bran can successfully have kids then he can have heirs, so why couldn't he be King in the North? I'm assuming Hodor carries him back to WF at some point.

No.

Why? 'Cause he's a tree.

Okay, this may be a bit of an odd question, so bear with me.

Can Bran... you know... have sex? I mean, he can't move his legs but surely being crippled doesn't necessarily mean he can't function down there.

I think Ned was misinformed about paraplegia, or maybe it's just that no Westerosi Lady would have a crippled husband. IRL paraplegics can have sex and children. Look at physicist Steven Hawking, his paralysis is far more severe than Bran's, yet he fathered three children.

No.

Why? 'Cause he's a tree.

One word: Bees.

If he doesn't go the aborification route though (yes, that's a word), from what we've heard about his injury it seems we can't tell whether he'd still be capable. IRL sexual function can be impaired after this kind of spinal cord injury, but afaik doesn't have to be (EDIT: Link).

Yeah, but Stephen Hawking didn't develop motor neurone disease till the late 70s, his last child was born before it had completely taken hold.

Also, it's not like most women in Westeros get a choice about who they marry. If Bran was capable then any man would be glad to marry his daughter to the KitN. Also, Stephen Hawking's condition affects his whole body, not just his legs.

That is just a terrible answer. He is obviously not a tree like Bloodraven is, he has a throne but it isn't part of him (yet). No reason why Hodor can't carry him back to WF right now...

Once the tree fondles you, there's no going back.

Are there any famous named weapons mentioned in the books that aren't Valyrian steel? I know there's Lion's paw/tooth and Needle, but those were both children's weapons. Also I just remembered Dawn, can anyone think of any others? a famous Bow?

Are there any famous named weapons mentioned in the books that aren't Valyrian steel? I know there's Lion's paw/tooth and Needle, but those were both children's weapons. Also I just remembered Dawn, can anyone think of any others? a famous Bow?

Just Maid - Legendary sword that could cut through any shield or sword

Lightbringer - Apparently made of living fire

Bloodraven's bow was made of weirwood. Also what Jin said.

Bloodraven's bow was made of weirwood. Also what Jin said.

Right but they don't mention a name for it do they? (was it Raven's Tooth or something?) Anyway I don't think Weirwood bows are that rare. Dragonbone ones are supposed to be better right?

HUGH & GREGOR: How come Hugh didn't forfeit his armor & horse to Gregor? Selmy says the boy might still owe the smith, which Ned says he'll take care of so as to send it to Hugh's mom in the Vale, but wasn't the armor the property of Gregor? Gregor doesn't strike me as the chivalrous type that would return the forfeit without ransom.

Right but they don't mention a name for it do they? (was it Raven's Tooth or something?) Anyway I don't think Weirwood bows are that rare. Dragonbone ones are supposed to be better right?

The Raven's Teeth were Bloodraven's elite force of archers, and they all used Weirwood bows but none of them, not even his, are ever mentioned as having names.

HUGH & GREGOR: How come Hugh didn't forfeit his armor & horse to Gregor? Selmy says the boy might still owe the smith, which Ned says he'll take care of so as to send it to Hugh's mom in the Vale, but wasn't the armor the property of Gregor? Gregor doesn't strike me as the chivalrous type that would return the forfeit without ransom.

Considering his poor attitude at losing to Loras perhaps the King stepped in, or the Hand.

Archived