'Likeable Villains' of the Series

Jorah the Andal

Hey guys so, which villain(s) do you enjoy reading about, but you also dont necessarily 'like'? And what you find (most) interesting about them?

My list would include:

Tywin - Ruthless player of the game. Orchestrated the RW, wiped out an entire family/line etc. I love his interactions with his children, mostly Tyrion. He's awful to him. But I do enjoy reading the parts of the books where Tywin pops up.

Roose/Ramsay - Cold hearted emotionless Leech Lord. Upon re-read I've definitely learned to 'appreciate' the character that is The Roose. The cunning one who brought about the downfall of the KITN. Ramsay is an impulsive, sadistic, sociopath. Reek chapters are some of the best of the series and an insight onto the capabilities of the Bastard of Bolton is why. I'm always interested in hearing what Roose and Ramsay are up to next.

Littlefinger/Varys - The two sneaky schemers. Littlefinger betrayed Ned, and urged Joff to take his head which kickstarted TWoT5K's which would later bring about the downfall of House Stark. He's now in theVale scheming away as usual, I dont know what he has in store for us but I'm interested. Varys has a network of spies and a plethora of disguises you just don't know where'll he'll turn up next, could be with a crossbow or a new king. Again I don't necessarily like the eunuch, but I like reading about him and his plots.

Euron - The crazy pirate who sailed to the ruins of Valyria brought back a dragon horn to the iron isles. Seduced and bedded his brothers wife and then taunts said brother about it. Vic then kills her. Possibly molested the Damphair, has his brother killed by a Faceless man, or does the deed himself im not sure. Either way he doesnt paint a pretty picture. Did I mention he killed a warlock beacuse the warlock threatend him? Then proceeded to feed the warlock to his friends? This is one crazy bastard. But I love hearing about him.

Honorable mention - Kraznys - The slaver who insults Dany at will thinking she doesnt understand Valyrian. I thought this was hilarious. And even better on the show.

So, who your favourite 'villain'?

Walder Frey. If there was a close 4th behind Robert, Tyrion, and Edmure, - who would you rather hang out with on a Friday night? The forementied not being villains, so it would have to be Walder. Drinking and young women - who doesn't love "that guy" - the dirty old man.

Cersei - That level of reality twisting is awesome to behold. Her style of play is super aggressive, often overinflating the slightest provocation, which also makes it fun to watch. She She'd be a second tier villain if we weren't inside her head of course, but as we are, I read every word from her POV with a mixture of repulsion and fascination that made her one of the most addictive POVs to me.

Tywin, Jaime and Euron before the revelation (or theory) that he sexually molested his own brother.

I understand why some people would like Roose since he's somewhat similar to Tywin though we see more of Tywin's awesomeness (or the opposite) through Tyrion's POVs.

I wouldn't consider Varys to be a villain at all and I think mostly because he's interpreted to be this evil dude with great ambitious wishes but this is all but fandom speculation. If I'm not mistaken, GRRM has said that he was one of the most miss-interpreted characters.

However, I can't understand how anyone can like LF and even go as far as to consider him a sort of Vigilante for the wrongs that the feudal system have done to him :laugh:

Roose Bolton

Randyll Tarly

And to a lesser extent Cersei Lannister, but not because of her effectiveness like Roose or Randyll but because her levels of crazyness and paranoia makes me feel like am watching a train collision in slow motion whenever I read her chapters.

ShowRamsey :commie: :commie: :commie:

Good one. I hate Ramsey in the books but his tv version is enthralling to watch even with all his sadistic streak

Good one. I hate Ramsey in the books but his tv version is enthralling to watch even with all his sadistic streak

I feel the same for Roose. That actor is so captivatingly evil :). I love watching him.

These and Varys.

Varys isn`t too much of a bad guy for me. There is a game, but I think we`ll all be surprised to see what that Game is.

I'd say Roose and Tywin are my favorite "bad guys".

It depends on what characters you consider the "villains" of the series. Guys like the Tickler and Ramsay seem unrelievedly evil. On the other hand, The Hound and Jaime started as villains, both killing / attempting to kill children, but I don't think of them as evil at this point. They aren't "good guys" like Ned, Brienne, or Davos, but they aren't wholly bad either.

Archived