How do you think Samwell will find closure with his father?

If he does find closure how will it play out?

For me it will be at battle with Lord Randal Tarly will be wounded and Samwell and his brother Dickon will defend him, at the end of the battle Randal Tarly will come to realize that how much Samwell has changed, and accept him being a Maester of the citidel and his dying wish will be for Dickon to take care of the Tarly family, Horn Hill, Brightwater keep, and Maidenpool, and finally for Samwell to rise to Grand Maester and take care of the Realm.

If Randyll does change towards Sam and realises how much he's changed, I don't think Sam will return the feelings. Randyll made him forsake his rights and go to the NW, where Sam has a new "family" now. Sam might accept his father loves him again but that won't change Sam's feelings. I think the closest father figures Sam had was Old Bear and Maester Aemon.

I see it playing out when Sam accidentally kills Euron with an arrow, when Oldtown is underattack, Randyll sees that his "craven" son killed a king and maybe wants Sam to come back to Horn Hill and leave the NW, but Sam, remembering Jon and his friends at The Wall, will decline and go back to The Wall to help Jon as Maester.

Why do you think Sam needs "closure"?

I mean, what did Randyll really take away from him that Sam wanted? Sam never regretted the loss of the lordship, of the lands or of the incomes. He never cared to be a lord and he would have been terrible at it. His father, though harsh, ultimately did him a favor by sending him to the Night's Watch. It's not like he sold him into slavery or like there were many other, "nicer" ways to have Sam step aside for Dickon.

If Sam meets his dad, I don't think he'll be looking for revenge or anything. He'll be mostly the same timid, insecure boy he was when he left except maybe a little less insecure since he's found friends in the Watch and his abilities are being appreciated. Randyll would sneer and growl at him for becoming a Maester after all but then again Sam is now a man of the Night's Watch and no longer Randyll's to command. Randyll isn't the sort of man to hurt Sam (physically) just to spite him, he'll be angry and resentful and won't want to see him around Horn Hill but that would suit Sam just fine.

I can't see Samwell becoming a Kinslayer as some have suggested above, I think Sam will realise if he hasn't already that not everyman is made to be a warrior and his calling is of a different kind. I'm sure he will end up back at the wall at some point but this is time dependant as isn't it a case of years rather than months to forge a chain???

Does the realm has the time left before the great battle happens? who knows?

Lord Tarly may end up respecting Sam after witnessing or hearing of Sam's heroic and brave acts

but I hope Sam gives him the middle finger.

I mean, what did Randyll really take away from him that Sam wanted? Sam never regretted the loss of the lordship, of the lands or of the incomes. He never cared to be a lord and he would have been terrible at it. His father, though harsh, ultimately did him a favor by sending him to the Night's Watch. It's not like he sold him into slavery or like there were many other, "nicer" ways to have Sam step aside for Dickon.

He did threaten to "gut you like the pig you are" if he didn't go to the Wall.

Sam might have been a fine lord. Not as a fighter, but as a judge and administrator.

I think Randyll kind of shut that door long ago and considers Ser Piggy dead. From Sam's pov, why would he want to reconcile with someone who threatened to kill him if he ever came near?

He did threaten to "gut you like the pig you are" if he didn't go to the Wall.

Sam might have been a fine lord. Not as a fighter, but as a judge and administrator.

Sam would've been good as Hand but not as a lord, who are expected to lead troops into battle and command respect and obedience through their martial and/or command abilities. Which Sam totally does not have and even can't fake.

I mean, what did Randyll really take away from him that Sam wanted?

His freedom. The Night's Watch is practically a prison colony. And Sam was forced to join it for life. Then there are the lands and wealth he was supposed to inherit which he lost.

Realizing he is on the losing side, Randyll will join the Others and become one of them through their magic.

When Sam learns of this he tracks his father down and draws his blade, saying "We both knew it would come to this." They battle each other for weeks before Sam finally wears down his father and cuts him in two with the sword that Gilly's baby knitted from Aemon's fine white hair.

Or Sam never sees him again. One of those two for sure.

Realizing he is on the losing side, Randyll will join the Others and become one of them through their magic.

When Sam learns of this he tracks his father down and draws his blade, saying "We both knew it would come to this." They battle each other for weeks before Sam finally wears down his father and cuts him in two with the sword that Gilly's baby knitted from Aemon's fine white hair.

Or Sam never sees him again. One of those two for sure.

You clearly have inside information.

It is known.

Sam would've been good as Hand but not as a lord, who are expected to lead troops into battle and command respect and obedience through their martial and/or command abilities. Which Sam totally does not have and even can't fake.

I think you mess up Lord and Knight.

Manderly is a Lord who commands respect from his people, even though he is relatively timid, easy-going, and too fat to even ride a horse.

Doran is a Lord that can move also only in a litter, id generally immobile...

Wyllas Tyrrel would be a good lord, despite his injury.

Tyrion also isn't that much into direct battle.

Bran, even after injury, would have a making of a good lord.

Tywin didn't rush into direct confrontations, if he can command a battle...

Leadership is more for a lord than direct martial prowess. So is brain. Before Culloden, Clan chiefs laughed about Cumberland for not leading from the front, sword in hand. How did that end?

Archived