The ongoing litany of police abuses

From the San Jose Mercury News

Hawthorne police Lt. Scott Swain said. "And I know it's the dog's master, and more than likely not going to attack him, (but) we've got a guy handcuffed that's kind of defenseless. We have a duty to defend him, too."

Utter bullshit.

The dog died.

I didn't mean to imply that you thought shooting the dog was justified. But to me it (this entire scenario) is one issue - the police decide to arrest some guy (who is probably being an idiot) without any real reason to arrest him, and because of that, they get into a situation where they shoot his dog for no good reason. With power comes responsibility, and these cops didn't show much responsibility in using their power here. If they just did their job without trying to strong arm the guy with the camera, none of this would have happened. Just because you're annoying doesn't mean that you're breaking a law.

I just find that an oversimplification. Yes, the second situation came about because of the first situation, but I don't think the behaviour of anyone in the first instance had a bearing on the police reaction in the second instance.

I also doubt people would be objecting nearly as much to the arrest if the dog hadn't been shot. Certainly no-one in the crowd was before the guns came out.

Absolutely unacceptable but what can we do? Shoot back

No but we should start, or sign, a petition to have this cop lose his job. That's the least of what we can do. Absolutely outrageous behavior by the shooter, and pretty petty arrest bu the two other cops. Maybe we should make cops pass IQ tests. I took the cop exams, and i can tell you...they aren't eliminating anyone idiots with those exams.

I thought it was SOP these days for the cops to confiscate cameras belonging to bystanders these days during arrests and whatnot.

Yes.

Its also illegal.

But who cares, eh? Ever seen such certified Liberals backing police being brutal?

Get used to it.

What crime did this guy commit again? Using his camera phone on a public street?

He was alone, thus an easy target for intimidation.

The other folks weren't messed with because they were in a large group.

Other instances of cops attacking people with cameras;

Even city rent-a-cops are getting in the act

And why-

With all those officers there I'd expect one of them to be able to grab the leash and try and put the dog in one of their cars before resorting to violence. Or just uncuff the owner and tell him to put it back in the car with the windows up. It's not like they had any reason to handcuff him to begin with. Or at the very least the cop should have had his pepper spray out instead of the gun. The cops escalated the situation way beyond what it needed to be.

Don't want to watch the video. It's got me pissed off just reading about it.

I have a fundamental problem with people having power or authority over anyone else. I just don't know how to design a feasible system in a world of 7 billion people that can circumvent this necessary evil.

A massive emphasis on checks and balances and accountability for abuses of power is therefore the only way to try and mitigate it in my view.

That was disgusting. As a Brit I'm always disgusted at how police officers can carry guns, and my first surprise was the size of one of them. Yes, the dog was aggressive, of course, his owner was being taken away from him. Taunting the police is not, in England, a valid reason for arrest. Our officers also always have to abide by PLAN - their actions must be proportionate, legal, accountable and necessary. The actions of the officer in that video did not abide by PLAN. I could make allowances for being truly scared for your life, but I just don't accept that in this situation. Other things could have been done. And the man should not have been arrested. I don't know how US law works, but our officers have to have reason to either suspect or believe that a crime has been committed/will be committed before they arrest someone. What crime would they say he'd committed?

I wish I hadn't watched that. I will sign any petition if the poster who mentioned it has created one.

One of the local TV stations had a sanitized version of it on, this morning. What good is news if the viewer never gets to see what is actually happening? The world will never get outraged if they don't know what happened...in its entirety.

BTW, does anyone know if California law prevents the publishing of a police officer's name and address? Since we live in an age where people delight in "leaking" information, it might be a way to let police know that when they behave improperly, there is a price to pay.

You cannot seriously start publishing cops addresses online. Thats going too far.

Are cops better than everyone else? Are some pigs more equal than other pigs? The police are citizens like everyone else, they have a job thats different than mine, just like mine is different than a doctors or garbage mans that doesnt make me or any of them special in any way.

Are cops better than everyone else? Are some pigs more equal than other pigs? The police are citizens like everyone else, they have a job thats different than mine, just like mine is different than a doctors or garbage mans that doesnt make me or any of them special in any way.

I dunno about lionhead, but I'd be of the view that publishing anyone's address on line is going too far. Particularly in retaliation for something that, while clearly a mistake, was not done out of malice or a power kick.

Oh Jesus Christ, some people make it seem as if he shot the guys dog for shits and gigs, then pissed on his lawn and then fucked the guys wife. Listen to the shots in rapid succession: he PANICKED. While it wasn't appropriate for a police officer to act like that, his reaction was plausible: if you have a gun in your hand, and an unfamiliar 130 pound Rottweiller jumps at your arm, panicking and pulling the trigger isn't past the bonds of reality. This cyber lynch mob is just as disturbing as the video. The officer should be reprimanded, and the owner compensated, but he doesn't deserve to have his life ruined over what clearly was a tragic mistake. It was poorly handled, but not overtly malevolent . This "OMG COPS R SUCH EVUL PIGZ" mentality is ridiculous.

PG,

I'm not supporting the idea of releasing addresses I'm saying the police actions in this case are pretty clearly a power trip. The dog's owner was arrested for irritating the officers. He was a block away from them and did nothing illegal. They walked over to him and slapped on cuffs. They escalated the situation and then shot the man's dog. No police escalation no need to shoot the animal.

This was entirely the officer's fault.

Archived