The ongoing litany of police abuses

We're talking about releasing the address of the man who shot the dog, right?

Would the dog have jumped from the car if they hadn't arrested the guy? Personally, I think the guy was the epitome of stupidity. Taunting armed people never ends well. His only good point is that his dog thought well enough of him to want to protect him. The cops were in the wrong. They illegally arrested the guy and then provoked the dog by trying to approach it. And to add insult to injury, released a statement that they were protecting the guy from his own dog. That was assholery at an unheard of level.

Ser Scot,

I think it goes beyond negligence. Obviously, the dog was trying to protect its owner when a cop put his arm out above the dog. What reaction did he think the dog would have to that? I can't say that it was done with malicious intent, but it certainly was stupidity at the clusterfuck level.

Speaking for myself, I don't want people who are prone to panic to be walking around with the powers of a law enforcement officer.

Which is why I said it was poorly handled and he should be reprimanded. That doesn't justify leaking his address and personal info that could endanger himself and his family.

I say charge him with whatever crime a normal person who shoots some guy's dog gets charged with and let a jury decide whether it was justifiable, as opposed to the police guy a few ranks higher than him making that call. (not even just referring to this case, there's other cases where the dog has just been barking and gets shot). I couldn't care less who has his address.

Oh Jesus Christ, some people make it seem as if he shot the guys dog for shits and gigs, then pissed on his lawn and then fucked the guys wife. Listen to the shots in rapid succession: he PANICKED. While it wasn't appropriate for a police officer to act like that, his reaction was plausible: if you have a gun in your hand, and an unfamiliar 130 pound Rottweiller jumps at your arm, panicking and pulling the trigger isn't past the bonds of reality. This cyber lynch mob is just as disturbing as the video. The officer should be reprimanded, and the owner compensated, but he doesn't deserve to have his life ruined over what clearly was a tragic mistake. It was poorly handled, but not overtly malevolent . This "OMG COPS R SUCH EVUL PIGZ" mentality is ridiculous.

Why the fuck would you wave a GUN at a DOG? How stupid do you have to be? What's the dog going to do, get down on it's knees with its hands behind its back? It's a dog, it doesnt understand wtf is going on.

Obviously not the police.

This. He should be dealt with as I would be dealt with if I had done the same thing.

I totally agree with The Great Unwashed - if officers who are licensed to carry firearms panic at a dog reacting to his owner being taken away, then they either shouldn't carry firearms full stop, or they need a lot more training. In the UK we call US officers 'trigger-happy', and we're not far wrong. It seems like using a gun is their answer to everything, and while this probably isn't the best place for a full-on gun debate, on this occasion using his gun was unacceptable and unnecessary. The way he shot the dog and left it to suffer was also horrifying, and you could tell by the reaction of the crowd that people do not think this was acceptable.

Oh Jesus Christ, some people make it seem as if he shot the guys dog for shits and gigs, then pissed on his lawn and then fucked the guys wife. Listen to the shots in rapid succession: he PANICKED. While it wasn't appropriate for a police officer to act like that, his reaction was plausible: if you have a gun in your hand, and an unfamiliar 130 pound Rottweiller jumps at your arm, panicking and pulling the trigger isn't past the bonds of reality. This cyber lynch mob is just as disturbing as the video. The officer should be reprimanded, and the owner compensated, but he doesn't deserve to have his life ruined over what clearly was a tragic mistake. It was poorly handled, but not overtly malevolent . This "OMG COPS R SUCH EVUL PIGZ" mentality is ridiculous.

If you have a gun in your hand you probably shouldn't be panicking, or pointing it at shit waiting to panic - the guy shouldn't have been pointing it at the dog in the first place; no one even tried to do anything to restrain the dog beyond shooting it. The guy was ready to shoot the dog from the minute it showed up. That officer should absolutely lose his job or at least get stuck at a desk for the rest of his career; he demonstrated that he isn't responsible enough to handle a gun.

The only sliver of good news is that it was caught on tape. Technology is really the best weapon here. 10 years ago we would have all been fed that bullshit excuse that the police gave and not been able to prove otherwise. This stuff has always happened but as more and more people are willing to get their cameras out police will increasingly need to start behaving as though they are on camera any time they are in uniform - which is exactly how it should be. And the internet is an amazing tool for gaining attention. I'm in the UK right now FFS and I know all about some dickhole shooting a dog in California. Neat.

I wouldnt blame police for not wanting to be under a microscope all the time and it is a stressful job. But its a huge responsibility and if you aren't willing to perform your job in such a way that you would be happy to let anyone film you serving and protecting - then you can fuck right off. That is exactly the kind of police we don't need. I really think a lot of them get into it for the right reasons, and good for them, honestly... but there is a definite subset who are bullies and became cops to get away with it. Like how some people like being bouncers because every now and then they get to work over a drunk. Its the same bullshit but with a badge and a gun and those ones need to be weeded out. Video phones + internet is the best thing to ever happen to policing in America.

Pretty sure that the dog jumped at him right before he shot it? It's strange that I seem to be the only person on the other side of this "acting aggressively" issue.

The dog was attacking the police officers. This is not insignificant since a rottweiler can cause a tremendous amount of damage (permanent crippling damage) with a single bite. They hurriedly tried to grab the dog's lead but it was done in a way that the dog, already on the offensive, wasn't going to tolerate. My guess is if they were able to grab the lead, the dog would have attacked whoever grabbed it.

Now the reason why the dog attacked was the arrest and treatment of the dog's owner. That was not unprovoked aggression. If the tables were turned and that was a police dog that jumped out of a car to protect his officer handler, the department would talking about the heroic dog. I feel bad for the guy since he put his dog away but unfortunately the windows were wide open. You can hear the dog barking and agitated but he didn't jump out of the car until they got physical with the owner.

The dog was screwed the minute it jumped out of the car. The only thing that might have made a difference would have been to immediately uncuff the owner and let him get his dog and put it away, but the situation was already too much about physically dominating the guy for that to be an option. Maybe pepper spray could have bought some time but the whole thing went down pretty fast.

With all those officers there I'd expect one of them to be able to grab the leash and try and put the dog in one of their cars before resorting to violence. Or just uncuff the owner and tell him to put it back in the car with the windows up. It's not like they had any reason to handcuff him to begin with. Or at the very least the cop should have had his pepper spray out instead of the gun. The cops escalated the situation way beyond what it needed to be.

The dog jumped at him though. It wasn't just that it was just hanging about. It was originally but the time between that and him jumping at the cop was miniscule, literally a matter of seconds. He didn't have time to stop, uncuff the man and let him calm the dog, or to try to grab the leash, he thought it was a threat in the moment.

Archived