The ongoing litany of police abuses

Castel,

And I'd have sympathy for that point of view if the officers themselves hadn't created the situation that prompted the dog to defend its owner. There was no good cause to arrest this man.

Relic,

The Statute you cite requires the person arrested to touch the police officer. There was quite clearly no touching before the officer moved to arrest the dog's owner.

The dog jumped at him though. It wasn't just that it was just hanging about. It was originally but the time between that and him jumping at the cop was miniscule, literally a matter of seconds. He didn't have time to stop, uncuff the man and let him calm the dog, or to try to grab the leash, he thought it was a threat in the moment.

It only jumped at him after he reached his hand over its head. I don't know if he was trying to grab its collar or what, but he should have been trying to grab the leash. I mean I have a ferret and he'll jump at people too if you put your hand above his face. I understand the cop was nervous, and I don't know if the dog was trying to bite or just be playful, but I think the cop should have had his pepper spray out instead of his gun. I know hindsight is 20/20, but I can see lots of alternatives to shooting the dog multiple times, and I find it unsettling that the cop's first instinct was to have his gun out on a dog.

Actor Levar Burton gives a primer on how not to be killed by police as a black man. The fact that this is A Thing is infuriating and outrageous enough, the fact that it's the prudent thing to do is even worse.

I love Tim Wise. Colorblind is such an eye opening book.

Speaking for myself, I don't want people who are prone to panic to be walking around with the powers of a law enforcement officer.

Nor do I, especially as those said people approach the poor Dog first, provoke it, allow no time for the dog to be calmed down and instead just shoot it dead.

I'm not saying his address should be leaked. I'm saying that he should be fired from the force and charged with the crimes of false arrest and cruelty to animals/unlawful shooting or whatever else would apply to a normal citizen in this case.

Exactly.

The dog jumped at him though. It wasn't just that it was just hanging about. It was originally but the time between that and him jumping at the cop was miniscule, literally a matter of seconds. He didn't have time to stop, uncuff the man and let him calm the dog, or to try to grab the leash, he thought it was a threat in the moment.

It's a dog. You back the hell away, make sure to get your arm out of the way (at this point you shouldn't even be carrying a bloody gun) and let the dog be calmed. One dog isn't going to slaughter all those police officers, but I guess it's okay to just shoot it dead in a public street, it's ''only a dog'' huh

The police may have had another motive.

Gulden told The Times that police were retaliating against Rosby for a lawsuit filed in March against the department, alleging excessive use of force and false imprisonment in a July 2012 incident.

According to the lawsuit’s complaint, officers beat Rosby at his home and in jail after responding to a domestic quarrel call made by Rosby’s wife...

...Gulden said one of the officers at Sunday’s incident in Hawthorne had been on duty during Rosby’s alleged beating last year and recognized him as a “troublemaker.”

Nothing more dangerous than a violent cop with a grudge.

I try to stay away from petitions directed to the incorrect regulatory body and written in all caps.

I try to stay away from petitions directed to the incorrect regulatory body and written in all caps.

yeah this petition is pretty stupid. Not thought out at all. That said i signed it.

hahaha, i just saw it on a facebook comment made to the police departments facebook page, didn't sign it myself, but i noted some in this thread wanted a petition, so voilà!

Pretty sure that the dog jumped at him right before he shot it? It's strange that I seem to be the only person on the other side of this "acting aggressively" issue.

The Cop reached for the Dog's collar, and that's when it went bad.

I thought they'd reach for a Tazer instead, thought I even heard one at one point in the vid.

I dunno about lionhead, but I'd be of the view that publishing anyone's address on line is going too far. Particularly in retaliation for something that, while clearly a mistake, was not done out of malice or a power kick.

Agreed.

I was of the same opinion when the Newspaper in New York published a map of everyone with a legal gun in their area last winter.

Fair is fair.

Speaking for myself, I don't want people who are prone to panic to be walking around with the powers of a law enforcement officer.

I said months ago that I'd give up my gun the same day all the Police gave up their own.

Seeing my point?

I'm not sure I would want to put my identity on a document that could easily wind up tin the hands of those I oppose.

Welcome to the club.

Speaking of derad dogs...

...yesterday I saw a large dead dog in plain sight under a row of mailboxes, about a dozen in all. I put mail in most of those boxes. Today I went by again. The mail had been picked up...but the dead dog was still there.

At this point I'm considering taking bets on whether or not the doggy body will still be there come the weekend. Note that said doggy has a collar and is one I used to see fairly frequently along that stretch of road.

...yesterday I saw a large dead dog in plain sight under a row of mailboxes, about a dozen in all. I put mail in most of those boxes. Today I went by again. The mail had been picked up...but the dead dog was still there.

At this point I'm considering taking bets on whether or not the doggy body will still be there come the weekend. Note that said doggy has a collar and is one I used to see fairly frequently along that stretch of road.

I'll bet the dog will be there until it starts to smell real bad. Most people would think it isn't their responsibility because it isn't their dog.

Shouldn't you call animal control? Just leaving a dead dog on the street is a clear health hazard. (Who owns the dog is immaterial.)

Archived