The last line of the series (SERIOUS POSTS ONLY PLEASE)

Azor Ahoy!

She stood on top of the Wall, gazing out at the cold forests far away and beneath. Figures gathered at the edge of the trees; pale figures, silent and cold. The servants of the Great Other had arrived. And there were no more rangers, no more watchers on the walls. Nothing to shield the realms of men.

And the Others marched forward, with the dead in their wake.

My king has failed. The Lord of Light has failed. I have failed, Melisandre tought. Now comes the cold, and the night that never ends.

the last man standing was then blown to pieces by the shotgun of one of the white walkers, they then looked at eachother and laughed about how the men hadn't developed at all in the last 8000 years and that the mens resources should last them years meaning the inflating fuel prices can now go down.

To answer this question it might be interesting to see what the last sentence in each book was (in order to detect patterns in George's writing)

AGOT: As Daenerys Targaryen rose to her feet, her black hissed, pale smoke venting from its mouth and nostrils. The other two pulled away from her breasts and added their voices to the call, translucent wings unfolding and stirring in the air, and for the first time in hundreds of years, the night came alive with the music of dragons.

ACOK: Beyond, the tops of the keeps and towers still stood as they had for hundreds of years, and it was hard to tell that the castle had been sacked and burned at all. The stone is strong, Bran told himself, the roots of the trees go deep, and under the ground the Kings of Winter sit their thrones. So long as those remained, Winterfell remained. It was not dead, just broken. Like me, he thought. I’m not dead either.

ASOS: Merrett Frey opened his mouth to plead, but the noose choked off his words. His feet left the ground, the rope cutting deep into the soft flesh beneath his chin. Up into the air he jerked, kicking and twisting, up and up and up.

AFFC: There was something about the pale, soft youth that he misliked, but he did not want to seem discourteous, so he added, “My name’s not Slayer, truly. I’m Sam. Samwell Tarly.”

“I’m Pate,” the other said, “like the pig boy.”

ADWD: A child emerged from a pool of darkness, a pale boy in a ragged robe, no more than nine or ten. Another rose up behind the Grand Maester’s chair. The girl who had opened the door for him was there as well. They were all around him, half a dozen of them, white-faced children with dark eyes, boys and girls together. And in their hands, the daggers.

Any ideas?

snip

They're all about death or life - dragons reborn, Dany surviving the pyre, Bran and Rickon still alive, Catelyn resurrected, death of Merrett, Pate's "second life", Jaqen living as him now, and deaths of Pycelle and Kevan.

My guess is that TWOW will be someone dying, or, perhaps turning out alive, but the former seems more likely.

Archived