Words to retire

TheLoneliestMonk

Not as bad as "you'ns".

Actually this puts me in mind of one that drives me nuts.

Usually it comes up on reality TV shows. A person is talking about their relationship with their boyfriend/girlfriend/spouse and says something like, "The thing about Mary and mine's relationship..."

That's nails on a chalk board to me.

Please tell me what this means. You ones? Young ones? Something else entirely?

Yeah, I think it's you ones. It seems as though you ones evolved to you 'uns, which mutated horribly to you'ns (can be pronounced with either an oo sound or a short u, as yuns.) That's my theory, anyhow.

Actually this puts me in mind of one that drives me nuts.

Usually it comes up on reality TV shows. A person is talking about their relationship with their boyfriend/girlfriend/spouse and says something like, "The thing about Mary and mine's relationship..."

That's nails on a chalk board to me.

I hear kids do this all the time! I tell them there are gold mines and diamond mines but no it's mines. I think they're, whaddyacallit, overcorrecting maybe? because "It's mines!" follows the same pattern as "It's his" and "It's hers" do.

It's certainly unacceptable for an adult to say it. In kids, it's kind of cute. (I wanted to write "kinda" but I dare not!) :wideeyed:

Yeah, I think it's you ones. It seems as though you ones evolved to you 'uns, which mutated horribly to you'ns (can be pronounced with either an oo sound or a short u, as yuns.) That's my theory, anyhow.

Thank you. Is it used interchangeably with y'all? Is it a regional variant of y'all? Are they used in different situations?

Archived