TheLoneliestMonk

Slacks.

Ugh. I hate that word. Makes me cringe.

can i take an opposite position and express my love for the word trunks

swim trunks,

running trunks

casual trunks.

athletic trunks.

there might even be formal trunks but i dont own a pair.

I'd submit the following word:

Pretentious.

Very, very, very rarely is applied in proper context and is usually used by someone to describe a work of art that is extremely ambitious, but the person that is using the word didn't get because he/she didn't wanted to use his/hers brains enough.

Example: "OMG, that 2001 movie sucks. It's so pretentious"

So, yeah, that word's gotta go.

Due to my search for ponchos, turtlenecks and slacks I'm now listening to Earth Wind and Fire. Thanks SB!

Heh. I've got Stayin' Alive stuck in my head now. Complete with polyester slacks visuals.

Ooohhh, ooooohh, oooohhh

Stayin' aliiiiive, stayin' alive!

Heh

http://i192.photobuc...s/ponchos72.jpg

Quotient? Why do you hate math? <sigh>

ETA

Due to my search for ponchos, turtlenecks and slacks I'm now listening to Earth Wind and Fire. Thanks SB!

I don't hate math. I adore math. I just hate the way the word 'quotient' feels in my mouth when I'm saying it. And no, that's not a bit crazy.

not a word, but my GOD do i hate it when people say ''could care less'' to indicate their lack of caring instead of ''couldn't care less'' I MEAN, SERIOUSLY?

Someone recently had a thread about "characters that you could care less about"...it annoyed me too.

"It is what it is" is dumb, especially as an excuse.

"Just sayin"...please retire.

"Literally" gets butchered enough to just retire.

"Literally" gets butchered enough to just retire.

I hate that. I refuse to retire "literally" because some people don't use it properly. I say we start doing the Ceasar Milan nip and "tsst" when someone uses it incorrectly.

You can pry "just sayin'" from my cold, dead lips. Just sayin'.

The word Gay needs to be expunged as well. Not only is it offensive, but thanks to hordes of teenagers, it can now be used to mean almost anything.

Only if you also eliminate "straight". The problem is that there are too few people that can handle 5 or 6 syllable alternatives. Maybe acronyms would do.

Of course, should you decide that expunging the hordes of teenagers is acceptable...

The phrase "Let's jet" seems to be used by some of my friends from North America, I'm not sure if it's something that is limited to the continent or not but I cringe every time one of them uses it.

I've never actually seen anyone make the "could care less" mistake, but it seems it's quite common!

I hate that. I refuse to retire "literally" because some people don't use it properly. I say we start doing the Ceasar Milan nip and "tsst" when someone uses it incorrectly.

Yes, it's not the word's fault but it has to go...I'm sorry. Although I may try your method next time it happens, if I remember.

... I don't think it has been subverted in a major way due to misuse because of someone looking different. I'm sure it happens, but it doesn't invalidate the word. I'll call someone creepy if I feel they are being creepy and cast major side eyes at people who try and make me feel bad about calling someone on it.

I read a post recently -and I wish I could find it http://ami-angelwings.tumblr.com/post/54202815892/i-think-what-bugs-mras-and-guys-like-them-so-much- that made the argument that calling someone a creep is the only word left for people (women) to get others (men) to stop bothering them. Because all other signals, words, and sentences have been corroded to ineffectiveness. That is a good enough reason to keep it around.

"Random," outside of its intended usage. YOU ARE NOT "RANDOM." THIS COLLECTION OF THINGS IS NOT "RANDOM." THAT IS NOT WHAT RANDOM MEANS AND I HOPE YOU DIE.

Perhaps no one here will understand what I'm talking about, but this made me think of, "Random Grenade". Not it f-ing was NOT a, "Random" grenade that killed you. Someone purposely threw it and got lucky. It was a Lucky Grenade.

How about place names? Rutherfordton is just awkward to say. The "ton" at the end of the word sounds tacked on. Heck, why stop with the "ton"? Go for the gusto and expand the town name even further. I rather like the eye rolling sarcasm that drips from "Rutherfordtonvilleburg".

Malt,

"Y'all" is a perfectly servicable contraction of "You all" that addresses the inhereant vaugness of the custom in English of having "you" mean an individual or a group depending upon context.

Besides with my generic American accent it is the only way I can, in ordinary conversation, indiciate my region of origin.

:)

Archived