Is the queen of thorns sexist?

E-Ro

I think she is.

I can't believe she gets a pass for putting pressure on Cersei to let Tommen sleep in bed with Marg.

This would have been an outrage if it was a man suggesting this for an 8 year old

I don't think she expected Margaery to fiddle with Tommen, though.

I don't think she expected it either but i still think its completely unacceptable to put a child in that position with the excuse of "meh, I don't think anything will happen".

Oddly, I never gave any thought to it, till you raised the point.

Ahem. Plenty of male sexist characters are wildly popular on the board: Tywin, Stannis, Tyrion etc. so let's not talk about double standards natch.

I keep hearing about how Tywin is sexist, yet I recall nothing that backs this up.

(And no, what he did to Tysha doesn't back that up. That's more about his views on class than anything)

And Tyrion is probably the most egalitarian of the Lannisters.

I keep hearing about how Tywin is sexist, yet I recall nothing that backs this up.

(And no, what he did to Tysha doesn't back that up. That's more about his views on class than anything)

And Tyrion is probably the most egalitarian of the Lannisters.

Yea I dont think Tywin is sexist due to him making Joanna his advisor, however Randyl Tarly is the most sexist man in the series.

Oddly, I never gave any thought to it, till you raised the point.

Yeh that's kind of a side point I was making. It's a woman suggesting it so obviously nothing sleazy could happen. Where if it was Mace Tyrell suggesting it, then it would certainly be pointed out and noticed as something totally unacceptable.

Furthermore, if Tommen was the 8 yr old girl and Marg was the teenage boy, there would most certainly be outrage about it.

Well, duh.

In my perception (and I assume at least some people here would agree with it) pretty much everyone in the series is sexist. It's a deeply sexist society, with very strict and segregated rules about what it means to be a man or a woman. Hell, our very present is, why would it be any less in the middle-age inspired ASoIaF-verse?

So yes, Olenna is what I would call sexist. But just to put this into perspective, I would say the same about almost every character. They all think in gender roles, maybe expect people like Brienne and Arya.

If only Olenna Tyrell was like 40 years younger, she could have been married to Stannis and I'm just picturing how hilarious that marriage would be.

Poor Stannis would grind his teeth to dust.

As for sexism - no, she's not sexist. She is an equal opportunity hater. She says the things people think and wish they could get away with saying.

In short, she's the best character.

So yes, Olenna is what I would call sexist. But just to put this into perspective, I would say the same about almost every character. They all think in gender roles, maybe expect people like Brienne and Arya.

Including Brienne, though probably not Arya.

Brienne goes against her prescribed gender role a fair deal, but she is extremely conscious of the fact that a warrior is not something she's supposed to be. Because she's a woman. She's even reflexively mistrustful of men because of that consciousness.

Archived