Who were you rooting for during Blackwater?

Jon of the Dead

I am an eternal optimist, but I feel like sansa could have escaped in the chaos of everything, I liked her chances.

That's a good point. During any sack pre-existing plans tend to fall by the wayside. It really depends on how the whole thing goes down; if Ilyn herds everyone into room and just starts stabbing, it's probably too late but if he gets distracted or something Sansa definitely has a shot.

Also, I was concerned that Stannis would hold it against Sansa that she was betrothed to Joffrey and didn't renounce him--even though she had no choice.

While Stannis is a hard man, I don't think he's stupid. If he rescues Sansa and promises to put an end to the Lannisters' harrying of the Riverlands, Robb Stark might bend the knee. After all, the North doesn't have a grudge against him personally, just Joff and Tywin. But killing Sansa would just remove any incentive for them to bend the knee, and even Stannis is smart enough to make concessions in this case especially since he knows that Sansa is a hostage and not an ally of the Lannisters. I'm more concerned about the fate of Tommen though. If Stannis had won, the only way he would survive is if Davos got to the Red Keep first.

I am an eternal optimist, but I feel like sansa could have escaped in the chaos of everything, I liked her chances.

She did manage to sneak away from Cersei's drunk ass before the battle was over. She would have found a way. Davos is compassionate to children. He would have protected her.

I should have been rooting for Stannis, but I rooted for no one. I hated aCoK. More importantly I hate huge battle scenes in books. I was bored and ready for it to be over already. Whats even sadder, I don't like Davos. He bores me to no end. I want to like him, but sigh no I just can't. And as for the first part of my post I didnt like Stannis all that much my first time through because Clash was so boring to me. But then on my second time around I loved Stannis.

That's a good point. During any sack pre-existing plans tend to fall by the wayside. It really depends on how the whole thing goes down; if Ilyn herds everyone into room and just starts stabbing, it's probably too late but if he gets distracted or something Sansa definitely has a shot.

While Stannis is a hard man, I don't think he's stupid. If he rescues Sansa and promises to put an end to the Lannisters' harrying of the Riverlands, Robb Stark might bend the knee. After all, the North doesn't have a grudge against him personally, just Joff and Tywin. But killing Sansa would just remove any incentive for them to bend the knee, and even Stannis is smart enough to make concessions in this case especially since he knows that Sansa is a hostage and not an ally of the Lannisters. I'm more concerned about the fate of Tommen though. If Stannis had won, the only way he would survive is if Davos got to the Red Keep first.

Stannis said something like "If your daughters are found when I take the city, they will be returned to you." to Cat when they met at the parley at Storm's End.

Good points. IIIRC, Tommen was not in KL during the attack, but Stannis would have found him. Regarding Sansa, I apparently forgot the Stannis and Cat convo when I read the Battle scene. Thanks for pointing it out.

I should have been rooting for Stannis, but I rooted for no one. I hated aCoK. More importantly I hate huge battle scenes in books. I was bored and ready for it to be over already. Whats even sadder, I don't like Davos. He bores me to no end. I want to like him, but sigh no I just can't. And as for the first part of my post I didnt like Stannis all that much my first time through because Clash was so boring to me. But then on my second time around I loved Stannis.

Davos isn't as grey and interesting as some of the other characters. He won me over in ASOS when he learned to read. Cue the big Oscar speech from Wayne's world!

On my first reading I wasn't as big of a Stannis fan as I am now, but I was definitely still rooting for him. I wanted street justice for Ned, Jory and all the rest. But it was not meant to be, now every time I re-read ACOK it breaks my heart when Garlan and the bitterbridge bro's show up right when victory was in Stannis' grasp.

I should have been rooting for Stannis I rooted for no one. I hated aCoK. More importantly I hate huge battle scenes in books. I was bored and ready for it to be over already. Whats even sadder, I don't like Davos. He bores me to no end. I want to like him, but sigh no I just can't. And as for the first part of my post I didnt like Stannis all that much my first time through because Clash was so boring to me. But then on my second time around I loved Stannis.

I didn't like Davos at first either. I thought that as a smuggler he should have been more morally gray, but is instead one of the most honorable men in Westeros. After rereading i liked him better as his honor is kinda refreshing.

I'm surprised at how many people were rooting for the storm troopers (Lannisters) to prevail. After all, Ned died at the hands of their bloodthirsty liege. And yes, I could've handled Tyrion being spared but wouldn't have lost any sleep if he hadn't.

The Lannisters. I like Tyrion way better than Stannis. And even though I'm not crazy about Sansa, I was glad she survived, as her chapters got much better in later books. Davos was the only person I cared for on that side, and he survived, so it turned out well. It sucked he lost so many sons though.

I rooted for Tyrion, Sansa and Davos, and it didn't really matter to me who won. I suppose I was on Stannis' side though, since he, techniqually was the rightful king and was a very interesting character, while the Lannisters on the other hand were very dangerous and amoral people.

Archived