College Football 2013: The Season Begins, Let the Tears Begin to Fall!

Ded As Ned

Question about the new rule this year about 'leading'. I'm assuming that both of these hits would be illegal and would get the player ejected -

Is that correct? In both cases they made the hit with the shoulder/head area agaisnt the other players upper body.

I'm all for safety but since a player may now be ejected for these type of hits.. kinda gives the officials a lot of control over the outcome of a game.

I don't follow much college football. Can anyone tell me what level the Montana State Bobcats play at? I mean are they talked about much on radio or sports networks nationally or are they completely in a junior/regional league? And is there a way to watch the games through the internet out here on the east coast?

My cousin is starting his sophomore season and is a DB for the Bobcats.

They were talking on the radio about if Oregon kept their starters in the entire game how many points could they score on Nicholls State. I think if they tried, the Ducks could easily score over 100 points.

Easily. They could likely score 200 if they really wanted, and their opponent cooperated by playing as if they were trying to win the whole game, and not intentionally burning clock.

As an OU fan, I can remember two games quite distinctly. One was OU taking a knee at the goal line up 77-0 against aTm in the third quarter. A game that they consequently got ripped nationally for "running up the score in."

A second was OU up 28-0 less than 5 minutes into the game against Nebraska in 2008.

I don't follow much college football. Can anyone tell me what level the Montana State Bobcats play at? I mean are they talked about much on radio or sports networks nationally or are they completely in a junior/regional league? And is there a way to watch the games through the internet out here on the east coast?

My cousin is starting his sophomore season and is a DB for the Bobcats.

They are in the Big Sky. Division I teams are split into two parts - there's I-A which has teams like Alabama, Michigan, Texas, and they play in bowl games at the end of the season. That's what's talked about on sports networks. The Big Sky/Montana State is Division I-AA, which has teams you usually haven't heard of except regionally. They're in a division with Cal Poly, North Dakota, Portland State... They have a championship playoff at the end of the season. You can probably find games by doing a Google search for streaming video of college teams, but it might not be broadcast at all for most games.

Montana St has become rather a power in FCS. They're starting the season ranked #2 in the Coaches' Poll, and are the preseason favorites to win the Big Sky and likely be in the mix for the national title. You can likely find some of their games on ESPN3.com, which is ESPN's streaming service for games. They've taken a lot of the top-level games off of there over the last few years, but they still stream a ton of games each week.

Was just in Bozeman a week or so back. Cool town.

Kind of hard to watch already though. I'd have preferred to see UNC do something although I'm not invested in either team. It seems like they always have a decent number of solid NFL-bound players but never put it together as a team. Not real interesting to see one team crush another though - although I'll take that back next year if Va Tech beats Ohio State.

Clowney is not in football shape. UNC's mild hurry up offense had him gassed in the 2nd quarter. Hands on his hips, on his knees, taking plays off, unbuckling his chin strap, jogging onto the field and being caught by the snap, etc.

I guess putting on that extra muscle mass is taking its toll on his stamina. Good news for SC fans is that UGA won't push the tempo next week, and Clowney will eventually play himself into good football shape during the course of the season.

Clowney is not in football shape. UNC's mild hurry up offense had him gassed in the 2nd quarter. Hands on his hips, on his knees, taking plays off, unbuckling his chin strap, jogging onto the field and being caught by the snap, etc.

I guess putting on that extra muscle mass is taking its toll on his stamina. Good news for SC fans is that UGA won't push the tempo next week, and Clowney will eventually play himself into good football shape during the course of the season.

That's what I noticed as well. Very surprising to me.

Rooting for UNC of course but it's hopeless. ...and on to Ole Miss / Vandy

Love the Ole Miss uniforms.

Not sure who I'm routing for but I guess I'm glad it's not a blowout at this point in the 2Q (watching on delayed DVR).

Still hoping UK kicks the crap out of Booby Petrino Saturday.

GO FOOTBALL!

ETA: Guess if I have to route for someone it's Ole Miss since they are in the SEC West (as per Ferrum's logic), but really I just hope it keeps my interest and doesn't turn into a blowout one way or the other.

GO FOOTBALL!

Archived