Soccer XLVII - Justice for Suarez!

Alex.

Haha, I kind of love the thread title. I thought this was why lawyers generally stuck with boilerplate for contractual language. You'd just cut and paste in a "release clause" and fill in the party names and numbers. You don't change that sort of thing without good reason, since you know the old language is tested and holds up.

In other news, so are we bloody going for Fellaini or not? I genuinely don't get why no team has gone for him if he's got a 23.5mil release clause, in today's atmosphere he's well worth that. And even though he's not as good a player as Fabregas I think he fits our needs more, so why don't we just get on with it?

Moyes and Woodward have really been embarrassing in the market this summer. I wish Gill had stayed a season to ease Moyes in.

In non Suarez news is it true that the Sounders paid 9 million for Dempsey and that he is on 166,000 a week because if true that's madness

The figure people are bandying about is 8 million dollars a year. What that is in pounds per week, I've no idea.

$153,846.15 p/w before tax, whatever the rates are for income tax over your side.

You could buy an awful lot of booze and gear with that much cash.

Edit: That's £99,506.00 a WEEK apparently.

The figure people are bandying about is 8 million dollars a year. What that is in pounds per week, I've no idea.

Works out at about 100,000 a week which must be a pretty nice increase from his Spurs wage. Would that make him the highest paid player in the MLS? ( apart from Henry ) or is Donovan on more. I think Keane is on about 80,000

In non Suarez news is it true that the Sounders paid 9 million for Dempsey and that he is on 166,000 a week because if true that's madness

Also AC Milan are broke which is news to me anyone up to date on Serie A stuff

Actually the league paid the transfer fee.

Haha, Washington State has no income tax (there's still federal income tax, which should hit at about 40% on all income over $400k a year). I wonder how much that Washington tax rate factored into his decision. Some of his wages are because he'll be marketable, not purely on playing ability. It's part of the reason Donovan has stayed here for so long: he's sort of worth more to us as an American you can use to market the team and league. ETA: He's the best paid MLS player now. His contract edges out the Beckham one (Becks made a shitload of money on the side from various sponsorships, which the league used to make up some absurd number for the press release when they signed him).

ETA2: MLS actually publishes everyone's wages, which is kind of wild: http://www.mlsplayers.org/files/May%201,%202013%20Salary%20Information%20-%20Alphabetical.pdf

Re Fellaini: is it strange that you would go for a holding guy after missing out on Fabregas? I know Fellaini got pushed up a lot last season, but my understanding that his true position is pretty deep.

Also AC Milan are broke which is news to me anyone up to date on Serie A stuff

Well I guess you could put it down to a number of factors, such as the faltering Italian economy, Berlusconi's(much publicized) financial troubles and the fact that they don't own their own stadium. The issue of stadium ownership has caused much trouble in serie A and ac milan are one of the numerous clubs that suffer financially due to their leasing of stadiums.

Re Fellaini: is it strange that you would go for a holding guy after missing out on Fabregas? I know Fellaini got pushed up a lot last season, but my understanding that his true position is pretty deep.

Taken on its own- yes. However I think it's stranger that we went after Fabregas in the first place.

Fellaini isn't quite a holding midfielder, to me - he's been played there but it's no more his best position than the number 10. In particular he's not a great tackler so I wouldn't be too trusting of him as the deepest midfielder. He's a player who works best given a bit of license to go box-to-box. I think he'd be a perfect partner for Carrick.

He's quite useful both deep and front. The years we've had him, he has been just as comfortable at both ends. I don't really think he has a 'true position'.

Ugh, maybe the City could ED it if they don't want to move.

Sports stadium deals are shitty enough for cities as it is. I can't imagine involuntarily uprooting a business for one.

Over at SA I've proposed replacing the DCU business office with my dogs. They are dumb as hell but they can't possibly do a worse job.

Archived