Small Questions v 10011

Stubby

Something I didn't realise until I read the Slynt thread was that Twyin gave Thorne the option after defending Kings landing. Which would suggest Twyin at least was giving people the option after RR, unless Thorne was a special exception for some reason. :dunno:

I didn't mean to suggest that it didn't happen in the south at all, just that most southern lords were unlikely to bother with the trouble for a single prisoner. During wartime allowing conquered enemies to take the black seems to happen a lot everywhere. Unless it's Ramsey doing the conquering.

What's more heinous Sansa getting raped or Jojen getting butchered?

totally confused sorry what do you mean?

the questions in relation to the upcoming sansa chapter in winds thats going to be 'shocking' (originally asked by newstar in the previous small questions thread)

Didn't somebody say it wss a great honor to be knighted by the crown prince? Not referring to Gregor of course. I want to say Barristan or Jorah said ot to Dany. Or maybe JonCon or maybe just me to myself...

Barriston was also knighted by royalty wasn't he? Aegon I think, at the tourney where he unhorsed Ser Duncan the Tall (who may have been LC at the time)? So it would make sense that he might say it but I cannot find the passage.

totally confused sorry what do you mean?

the questions in relation to the upcoming sansa chapter in winds thats going to be 'shocking' (originally asked by newstar in the previous small questions thread)

Sorry it was more a comment than a question. If those two theories turn out to be true this series is going to so much darker.

Why is Brienne always referred to as "Brienne of Tarth" instead of Brienne Tarth? Her father is Selwyn Tarth, Lord of Evenfall. (not of Tarth)

We don't say Sansa of Stark, we say Sansa Stark, so this always seemed odd to me.

Usually when we see "This Person of" it's because they're saying the name of their homeland. Gendry of King's Landing. Thoros of Myr.

Is there something I'm missing?

Why is Brienne always referred to as "Brienne of Tarth" instead of Brienne Tarth? Her father is Selwyn Tarth, Lord of Evenfall. (not of Tarth)

We don't say Sansa of Stark, we say Sansa Stark, so this always seemed odd to me.

Usually when we see "This Person of" it's because they're saying the name of their homeland. Gendry of King's Landing. Thoros of Myr.

Is there something I'm missing?

Tarth is both the name of the house as well as the island where their seat is.

So both works, and I guess Brienne of Tarth sounds better.

Tarth is both the name of the house as well as the island where their seat is.

So both works, and I guess Brienne of Tarth sounds better.

Thanks-Didn't catch that it was the name of the Island, I just remember "Straits of Tarth" as the water that separates them from mainland Westeros. And sparkling like Sapphires.

Though Arya often refers to herself as Arya of House Stark. Or there are times when one is referred to as X of Winterfell (or whatever location). Bastard of Winterfell, for example. And of course, titles are associated with place. Lord of Casterly Rock, Lady of Bear Island.

Any idea how R'hllor is pronounced? I googled it, but didn't find any satisfactory answers. I imagine as rolled r-lor (french rolled r, not spanish r), with the final r also a french r.

This has probably been answered already, but is there a reason behind Rhaeger being the one to knight Gregor Clegane?

I have run a thread on this before and the general consensus is we don't know. It was considered the highest honor to be knighted by the Crown Prince, but there is no reason given anywhere as to how the Mountain got that honor.

Any idea how R'hllor is pronounced? I googled it, but didn't find any satisfactory answers. I imagine as rolled r-lor (french rolled r, not spanish r), with the final r also a french r.

When I read it I hear it in my head as roll-or don't know why but that's just the way my mind works. Usually if I'm reading something that has ungodly names to pronounce my brain will sort of rearrange the name to something easier to repeat.

How old is Edmure? Does it say in the books?

The ASOIAF Wiki lists him being born in 273 (age about 29 in Dance/Feast) which seems about right considering how much younger than Catelyn he seems to be. I just remember when Cat was thinking about how he was a boy still when she wed, don't know if she ever gives an exact age.

This has probably been answered already, but is there a reason behind Rhaeger being the one to knight Gregor Clegane?

Maybe it is supposed to be the irony of it. Rhaegar knights Gregor. Gregor goes on to murder his son and rape and murder his wife.

Maybe it is also a way for Martin to show us that not all of Rhaegar's decisions are that great. His judgement on doing things should be called into question?

More than anything, this is probably something we will never figure out.

Archived