Dating 4.0 Everyone is crazy. I am Spock.

Lily Valley

You are NOT off topic. This is a dating thread started by my melodramatic ass. Carry on. Please don't feel obligated to comment on the OP. My brother is moving to New Jersey in a week. He's gay. I'll be asking y'all for a place for him to go play.

I know some people at work frequent Club Feathers (Do you notice the trend!? Everything in NJ is a club!!) in Hackensack. That's in North Jersey, not really sure of where exactly he'll be moving to.

Dear Lord, yes. It's horrifying.

I don't 'want' to be on call non-stop. I am not a call center or a help desk.

It's a good thing I'm married - I'm doomed to fail in the current dating scene. :D

Ma'am, please keep talking. The only long term relationships I have ever had degenerated into madness. I had no space for a private life in the end of all of them. It makes my heart happy to hear that there are men out there that have enough of a life to keep them from going through someone else's. I just think my dream lover is more independent than I am, so he doesn't even have a phone. I'll probably have to drive to his summer farm co-op so we can hang out for a month while harvesting blood oranges.

Jealous? Yes. Hopeful because of your posts? YES.

You guys are answering a different question than was asked.

You do not need to inform people when you become unavailable. Normal people are not always available, because they are doing things. Respond when you have time. But you have time more than once a day.

EDIT: As Every says, it seems pretty clear that your phone habits are out of sync with the rest of the world's. That doesn't necessarily mean you need to change them, but it does mean that you need to be aware that the rest of the world doesn't use them the way you do, and adjust your assumptions about how it will be taken accordingly.

Fair assessment. From your previous post I know you understand that there are people out there that don't do phones that well. That's me. Mid-week when I check my phone, I might have 15-20 texts. I try to get to them first come, first serve. If people have texted me more than once, I only respond to the last. I know I'm a dinosaur. I can try to be more sensitive.

Oh jeez.

I made an OKCupid profile. Have a guy wanting to date already tonight after chatting. This thread is about to get REAL

Mandy

I'll try again too. St. Anthony bless us both (patron St. Of lost causes).

Have FUN. I promise to come back with nice stories. :rotfl:

Yes. Passive behavior. I fail to see how it does another person harm if I won't respond to a text message. I will agree that I use RESPONDING to text messages as actively aggressive behavior occasionally, but never with people I date.

If you're doing it to try and teach him a lesson about not 'blowing up your phone' then it is passive aggressive, not just passive. It seems to me that just talking to the guy about it and making it clear where your boundaries are would be the more productive thing to do, but your relationship, your choice :)

Oh jeez.

I made an OKCupid profile. Have a guy wanting to date already tonight after chatting. This thread is about to get REAL :P :lol:

You're probably going to get a lot of messages and some of them are going to be from creepers. It's the nature of a free dating site, so accept that it will happen, ignore them, and try not to be skeeved out. Have fun and good luck.

I know some people at work frequent Club Feathers (Do you notice the trend!? Everything in NJ is a club!!) in Hackensack. That's in North Jersey, not really sure of where exactly he'll be moving to.

Have you ever even been to nj? There are tons of sports bars, dive bars, and Irish pubs. Sure there are lots of clubs too, but that is not the only type of drinking/mingling establishment in nj.

The way a lot of people view texting frustrates me to no end. I've been berated for not responding to a text until the next day. I was asleep! If its an emergency, call. And sometimes I won't answer because today I don't want to talk to anyone. It doesn't mean I'm not interested in you, just that I can be an introvert.

It's really cool, actually. I'll get a text when I'm too anxiety-ridden to respond, wait it out, forget I was waiting it out, then remember I forgot to respond a day or so later when I'm too embarrassed by the long wait to respond. I do this with my best friends, not just women I date. Fear my neurosese. I do.

Have you ever even been to nj? There are tons of sports bars, dive bars, and Irish pubs. Sure there are lots of clubs too, but that is not the only type of drinking/mingling establishment in nj.

Bro (see what I did there?) I've lived in NJ my entire life. If you want to go somewhere you don't have to yell the entire night, then good luck finding it. The bars that are typical in Hoboken may look like bars but they're really clubs man. Loud, house music, no hats, etc. There are exceptions, but it's really 70/30 in favor of the clubs. I like going to dives, but good luck trying to find single 20/30 somethings there.

i think the new way to flirt with people via facebook is to repeatedly send them disturbing facebook stickers like the rabbit creature with a rose in its mouth or the anthropomorphic icecream holding a loveheart - you shouldn’t type anything as a message, just repeatedly sending these stickers to your lucky sexual/romantic conquest should do the trick

you're welcome.

Bro (see what I did there?) I've lived in NJ my entire life. If you want to go somewhere you don't have to yell the entire night, then good luck finding it. The bars that are typical in Hoboken may look like bars but they're really clubs man. Loud, house music, no hats, etc. There are exceptions, but it's really 70/30 in favor of the clubs. I like going to dives, but good luck trying to find single 20/30 somethings there.

+1. I find the bar-as-club problem extending to Philly as well.

One of the best bars I've found in Philly was Sisters, the lesbian bar so not exactly man-child in the promised land for a straight guy looking to meet people.

Still, I'm just glad they have the club bar on the second floor and the normal doesn't give you a headache bar on the first.

+1. I find the bar-as-club problem extending to Philly as well.

One of the best bars I've found in Philly was Sisters, the lesbian bar so not exactly man-child in the promised land for a straight guy looking to meet people.

Still, I'm just glad they have the club bar on the second floor and the normal doesn't give you a headache bar on the first.

That's how most clubs in south jersey are. Bar downstairs, club upstairs, but there are more bikerish bars and sports bars than clubs, in the boonies of Burlington county

What is the etiquette for using the urinal on lesbian night in bars anyway? Lesbians in both men's and women's washrooms, stalls all occupied, you really have to go, so ok to use the urinal while all the lesbians stare at you, right?

That's how most clubs in south jersey are. Bar downstairs, club upstairs, but there are more bikerish bars and sports bars than clubs, in the boonies of Burlington county

Ahhh...South Jersey. That's a different State IMHO. I'd like to move there. I'd actually like to leave the East Coast (exception New Hampshire).

I'm just kind of shocked. I'm not a model. I'm confident in who I am, but I'm a big girl who would scare the living hell out of poor Black Walder. Guess it takes all kinds after all :P

Correction: I try to maintain an open mind and have had experiences that I would rate as positive going out with more than one larger woman who I met on OK Cupid, provided that they did not lie to me about it or otherwise act insecure, which is a complete turn-off for me. Honestly, would you keep going out with somebody who deceived you? IMHO, your response in this thread and willingness to turn it into a cross-thread vendetta, taking pot-shots at me in a completely separate discussion about geekiness, before I've even responded says more about your (lacking) confidence than my (rather loose) standards.

What is the etiquette for using the urinal on lesbian night in bars anyway? Lesbians in both men's and women's washrooms, stalls all occupied, you really have to go, so ok to use the urinal while all the lesbians stare at you, right?

Depends on the bar.

There are (or at least were) dive bars in Philly but I only go out to bars with friends anyway. And I can't imagine meeting someone in the dives.

I don't think I've been in a relationship with anyone who was into bars post college.

Archived