Why the hate for Robb Stark?

AegonTargaryen

He started a war when he could have tried to defuse the situation diplomatically.

Granted, Theon egged him on, but that doesn't change the fact that he killed thousands in the name of dignity and honour.

Tywin started the war. Joffrey made sure it did not get resolved peacefully by cutting off Ned's head - If Ned was still alive then the war would have been over after the WW.

he made a lot of bad decisions

he was awesome in war, but he sucked in politics

he forgot he needed to marry a Frey, he lost the Freys because of that

he tried to reforge the alliance, he could demanded the Freys to marry Edmure with Roslin in Riverrun at least, Freys are not trustful

he beheaded Rickard Karstark and lost another part of his army

well, he did some really bad decisions

I think most people are kind of indifferent to him I am, however it could seems that he's hated on by others, as he gets far less love than any of his other relatives, and he's quite un-popular for a stark, if he were on of the greyjoys he'd probably be the most popular person in that family

You know the red wedding never would've happened at all if he didn't marry Westerling right?

You know that Robb was dead meat wedding or not, right? Lord Walder had sold out to Tywin, and the plan was to have Robb sniped off, possibly as a "hunting accident" or just an arrow shot from ambush. Walder thought up the Red Wedding after finding out that Robb had backed out on the original wedding plan.

There is some hate for Robb from ASOIAF fans , because they cant understand why he broke his vow and had sex with Jeyne.

He did it cause he was in a high emotional state and he was 16!!

And to be honest a lot of ASOIAF fans weren't getting "some" at 16 , :cool4:

RIP The King In The North

There is some hate for Robb from ASOIAF fans , because they cant understand why he broke his vow and had sex with Jeyne.

He didn't take a vow not to have sex.

I never got the impression that people disliked Robb. I mean everybody was probably rooting for him, being Eddards heir and all. He made a mistake but the situation was such that he may still have been murdered at some point. In that it had to happen for the sake of Jon and the story. It just felt like it, with whole writing of the Will stuff right before going to the Twins was a huge red flag for me.

A bit off topic but the 'Dragonhorn' that euron discovered was so out of the blue it sucked a bit of joy out of the story. Was the horn mentioned in the earlier books? Or was it that it was introduced in AFFC? Don't have my books on hand to check right now.

Conclusion...Robb was not hated by a sufficient amount of people to deem him a 'hated' character.

• 2 weeks later...

Genuinely asking, seems like a bunch of people really don't like him.

Guess I was sort of annoyed he didn't honour his oath to marry a Frey girl, but he was 16, injured, and depressed (thought his bros were dead) so I didn't judge him too harshly for that.

Other than that I think he did as good as a 16 year old kid in his position could do.

Is it just me or do people judge Robb more harshly than say Joffrey who is the worst? I like Robb and could not judge him too harshly for him not honoring his oath to marry a frey girl because he could not dishonor Jeyne after she comforted him after news of Bran/Rickon.

Joffrey killed people for fun, had their tongues out, has Sansa beaten by his guards, kills thousands by beheading Ned and basically everyone except Tyrion cow tows to him and yet Robb gets most of the judgement/blame.

I do not see anyone else helping to lift the siege on Riverrun that Tywin started and helping the smallfolk when his pets raided them.

Robb is honorable and marries Jeyne after he is comforted by her and that deserved the RW? I think not and jyet some say it was justified even under guest right.

I agree why do some (not me I like Robb, but admit he did make a couple mistakes like not including Edmure in on some plans, entrusting half his army to Roose although it was Cat who counseled him on that) hate him? I don't as I think he did a good job for his age and the position he was thrust into.

In response to an early post if you are thinking you hate Robb because he got thousands killed then why not hate Joff and those who died in KL and other crimes before Stannis came to Blackwater and more died? (sorry forget the poster's name)

More like they understand it perfectly (how could you not?) but don't agree with the politically suicidal decision to break the vow he made to the Freys. He's allowed to have sex with her if she's up for it, but that doesn't mean he should've married her.

In response to an early post if you are thinking you hate Robb because he got thousands killed then why not hate Joff and those who died in KL and other crimes before Stannis came to Blackwater and more died? (sorry forget the poster's name)

I think it's a universal acceptance that Joffrey was a tremendous bag of faeces, so no one debates it to the extent they would a more controversial topic/character, like Robb.

I don't like Robb, just like I don't like Ned Stark. Nothing personal, they are great balanced people, with a high morale and sense of duty.

But they don't know when it is better to give up principles and ideals for a greater good.

Or they value almost zero the life of their subjugated people.

Apparently they only realize their own actions have deadly consequences for their soldiers only after they lost dozens/thousands of them.

Casualties are understandable within a war/fight, the fact is that none of the two thought 10 times before starting the war or intimidating the Queen or not listening to LF advices just because it was the "wrong" thing to do for their own honour. Who cares of their own honour? If that is what it serves in the 7k, I would rather banish it than praise it.

Robb started a War, when he could have bent the knee like his ancestors did.

There is no shame in risking your own life going south in front of a whimsical king to ask mercy for your own father,

thus sparing the life of thousands of husbands, fathers, children that live under your own banners..

I would have kissed three times the foot of Joffrey in front of the public opinion, just as he needed, and lie and swore my loyalty even when I had none, just for the sake of my people. There is always time later on for vengeance.. but people can live only once, when they are dead, I can not bring them back.

Archived